Guest viewing is limited

TKR Question on pain and swelling six months post TKR

I was pleasantly surprised how easy my MUA was, I only took Oxy pain killers that afternoon and evening, then Tylenol and anti inflammatories were all I needed. He got the knee to 125 and didn’t leave one bruise, which I understand many people get during the procedure.He also gave me a steroid shot when he did the mua and that helped with the swelling for awhile.
That afternoon at pt my rom was only 80 but now I’m up to 110-115 and still working on it. This recovery seems so illogical. I have bad problems with swelling (still, 4 months after replacement ) so my rom is coming back very slowly. I was stuck in the low 90s when I had the mua, and dr said my scar tissue was ‘like taffy’. I’m thankful I had the MUA, I’d be kicking myself if I didn’t try it , and my therapist said it definitely helped. Good luck Monday!
 
@Nekocarlo thank you so much for replying. This is so helpful and reassuring. I am nervous the pain and swelling would be awful, I won't be able to drive, etc. I think he wants me to go to PT that afternoon, then every day for two weeks. I am at 102 now, but I know I will be swollen initially. I will try and be super diligent with icing and my exercises. My surgeon said he does not want me regretting I did not do the MUA and not have a good outcome in a few more months. I will ask about the the steroid too. How long ago was your MUA?
 
@Onestepatatime - just as we added your upcoming MUA date to your signature, you can see her surgery and MUA dates on her post!
 
I was also very nervous about the MUA but I did not have much pain, only when I first woke up in recovery and they gave me an oxycodone. I also took one in the evening just to be safe. My MUA wa May 30. My swelling was better after the mua for about a week or so because of the steroid shot, but my swelling came back, it’s not due to the MUA, I just have long term swelling problems.
I also had bad swelling for many months when I had screws put in my broken foot about 20 years ago, so think it’s just my body. (Though I did smoke back then, I no longer smoke so was hoping my swelling problems would not return). I also think I have a fairly high pain threshold so you may need to take pain meds for a longer time, I have read accounts from others who did. Your rom is about 10 or 12 degrees better than mine was when I had the MUA, I was stuck in the 90s. Now I feel stuck at 110, but my p therapist is confident I’ll get to 120 or more (cold, as I get there now at pt ) so I’m very happy I had the MUA. I trust my Dr, I knew he wouldn’t recommend the mua if I didn’t need it, and you seem to have faith in yours. That’s very important. I now know I’ve done everything he recommended, including the pt every day for 2 weeks afterwards, and I’m still going about twice a week since I’m still making slow but steady progress.
 
And I drove to pt the next day, it’s very close to my house but since I wasn’t on heavy pain meds I was able to drive.
 
How long ago was your MUA?
If you look at the bottom of every post, you will see a listing of what procedures the poster has had. Here is an example of yours: Of course, the listings are in black, I chose red to highlight it.

I will ask about the steroid too. How long ago was your MUA?

Left MUA - July 22, 2024
Left TKR - June 3, 2024
Gluteus Repair Surgery April 21, 2023
Spinal fusion L1-L4 September 7, 2022
Hardware removal - February 7, 2022
Right Revision THR - June 15, 2021. Third revision
Right Revision THR - March 29, 2021 Second revision
Right Revision THR July 1, 2019
Right THR January 17, 2017
TKR 6th March 2012
 
The MUA is done. Had it at 7:30 a.m. and was home by 9:30. Woke up in a little bit of pain and they gave me some dilaudid. I went to PT at 3:00 and took two Oxy prior. I am fine now, just crazy tired. PT at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow, then daily for 2 weeks. I am going to totally focus on PT, exercise and ice religiously. I got cleared to go in a pool, so I will go to the indoor community pool to start pool walking. I measured 115 with assistance which is a big improvement so far. Fingers crossed the pain does not kick in.
 
Good to read you are back home! Hopefully the pain remains manageable and you're able to sleep well tonight.
Wishing you a perfect outcome.
@One
 
Will be following closely to cheer you on from the sidelines!
 
@Onestepatatime happy to hear you're home and pain is under control. Definitely keeping my fingers crossed :fingersx: that this surgery does it for you and is the last! Definitely keep us in the loop and let us know how it goes. :friends::prayer:
 
Be careful in the pool. Walking in water is like having weights on your legs and is very easy to overdo.

Enjoy your new, increased bend!
 
Oh ugh. I'm sorry.

Breathe! Meds and ice!
And yes, cry as well: we don't fully understand the reason but it does make us feel better.

Hang in there - I know NJ gals are as resilient as Brooklyn gals and you'll get through this.
 
@Onestepatatime so sorry you woke up in pain. Is there any way you could get in a pool today and just kind of float? I know I used to grab a couple of pool noodles and put them under my upper back and my arms around them and just float. The pool was always one of those places that the pain seemed to melt away.

And agree with @mendogal , there's always breathe, meds, ice and a good old fashioned cry. Just prop yourself up somewhere comfy with lots of pillows and fuzzy blankets. Find something totally mindless on TV, 90 Day Fiance franchise is one of those I put on when I just want to tune out. Get your beverage of choice, a few snacks and plenty of ice. :friends:
 
@Elf1, Thanks. I am so exhausted I do not have any energy to even get to the community pool. But as soon as I feel a little better I will do that. I just want to try and sleep the day away. I knew it would hurt, but not like a car ran over my legs. Not to sound melodramatic, but big ouch! I am binge watching House:)
 
I am so exhausted I do not have any energy
This is normal after any procedure. Your MUA started you on a new recovery. So, think of it as being at Day 2 post-op. (Do you remember how you felt after your TKR?). Give yourself time to heal from the trauma of that procedure.

I am binge watching House
You are a brave woman to watch a medical drama during recovery. Every time one of those hospital show came on during my recovery, I would convince myself that my aches and pains were from some serious medical problem like what was happening on the show! :flabber: :heehee:
 
@Onestepatatime you have definitely earned the right to sleep away the day and binge watch whatever. I always loved watching House. We're half way bingeing CSI NY this afternoon. Please rest up, continue to ice and elevate and definitely sleep every chance you get. We do some of our best healing during sleep. :sleep:
 
Your knee had more trauma caused by your MUA. You need to baby it now until it settles down. I'm sure it's swollen inside and out. This needs more ice, elevation, and rest, not exercising.
 
So now I am going backwards. My bend was 98 at PT this morning. I had a good day yesterday and got to float around my friend's pool. But by end of day it was sore. I am going to ignore the nice weather today and just ice, elevate, and do my stretches and short walks. I am feeling concerned the MUA is not helping and I will need additional intervention. Any insight would be appreciated.
 
I'm sorry you're dealing with pain and now uncertainty. The MUA does naturally set you back as it aggravates soft tissue and since its only been one week, I believe you will need to give it more time. I think your plan for the day sounds like a good one, do your best to get the swelling down.
@Onestepatatime
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom