Knee Infection* Question about dizziness

@Catalien45 - it's been a while. How are you doing?
 
Awwww... thank you so much for this post .... I can just picture you & Maggie, her purring contentedly. I keep seeing your posts, and remain in awe sometimes of all you do. ( and hope you’re taking care of yourself.). Miss Felicity seems to now have a sense of “ responsibility “ to lay on my tummy every day. Especially at night, when we watch mysteries! She doesn’t stay long, but it appears she has a sense of duty.... Happily, I can finally get comfortable in our bed ( and sleep on my side..yay!). I think we are all sleeping much better...Felicity is Much happier.. no more going up & downstairs, checking on us both.
I am doing So much better. It is still a slow process, but each day, some little improvement. I am now walking regularly with my husband, I still feel a little unstable, so take my cane. My therapists say I am doing well, though they still seem to want me to hit that magic number of 0 on extension. I’m at 5. Still not much appetite, but that is improving, thankfully. Sweets still taste terrible, but, this morning we had bacon, eggs & cheesegrits... and it all tasted good! So I’m very encouraged. My PICC. Line scheduled to come out next Monday. Hopefully, no hang ups. I go to my surgeon’s office Thursday to have them look at some white stick-looking things poking out of my incision, hopefully nothing serious. Just a bit nervous, but no pain or other problems. Planning a low- key Christmas with our daughter’s family. We’ll all be together, & always have a good time. Your Christmas plans sound very good too.....did you find room in your freezer for that roast?
Well, it is nearly Christmas, so wishing you a happy & warm one, and then a day or two to take care of You, & rest up a little....
 
Hi, Hawkie! This is normally our Saturday morning breakfast, usually with toast, but not since my initial surgery in October... my taste has been so messed up-k but, with the nausea pretty well gone ( just a little now & then) & my appetite finally improving some, I thought we should try it. My husband cooked the bacon & I did the cheesegrits. I use a yellow grits we get at our local health food store, Sooo yummy! I helped him with the eggs, he has a hard time with flipping them over easy. It was fun & encouraging..... feels like life getting back to normal. I’m looking forward to cooking more, but taking it slow. Tomorrow afternoon, our daughter & 6 year old grandson will come & we’ll decorate sugar cookies ( she’s making cookie dough).... a traditional mess we all love. They will spend the night, then go home , & we’ll go to their house Christmas afternoon & we’ll have salmon, rice, & veggies & just enjoy being together. It’s definitely scaled down in general, but I think will be a special Christmas we all will remember warmly. I’m still remembering your sage advice to me early on....” sloe and steady, slow & steady”.
Have a wonderful Christmas! As my sister always says, “ life is good”.
 
I am at the point where I no longer have to allow extra time when I cook. With that said, cooking made me feel normal - no matter how long it took. Life is good! Merry Christmas.
 
I think I’m posting this on my thread, I have missed the past couple of days.....we have been somewhat absorbed in the current situation here with the fires Here in Colorado many of you have probably heard about on the news. Boulder, and the 2 towns nearby that were so badly devastated are about 30 miles away. ( Boulder is OK). Our daughter lived in Boulder for 15 years. ( she & her husband and son live in Denver now.) We lived in Superior when we first moved here, in an apartment for 3 months as we looked for a house, our apartment complex was very near one of the neighborhoods that were basically destroyed. Our daughter has 2 friends who have lost homes, and all their belongings. It has just been devastating. Fortunately, it still appears there were no deaths. That is a blessing. And, today and tonite, much-needed snow, and the high winds are basically gone. So there is a lot to be thankful for. We have friends in the general area, but as far as we know, they are all OK. We’re all still in shock, so, I’ve been a little “ out of it”.

I usually try to check my Bonesmart friends pretty much daily. It always give me a lift to see all the encouragement when someone is struggling, and the encouragement. And to see how much it always helps that individual. And the wisdom & sage advice that so often touches so many of us. I know it often does for me.

I’m doing well in my recovery, & just lately beginning to really feel normal. Sleeping so much better, needing fewer naps. Mostly staying out of the ODIC corner. Walking with my husband regularly ( 1.2 miles today ) , the last half or so with the snow coming down big . My appetite is much better, and I’m doing some cooking & enjoying it immensely. ( @ Hawk2go, I’ll be cooking cheese grits, bacon & eggs tomorrow, husband will do the toast, he does it Sooo well!). More & more ADL’s. Still pain when I first get up, but it improves as I move around. Still working on my extension, but, it will get there.

I still sometimes find myself a little emotional, sometimes for no reason. But that’s OK. Sometimes , as in the midst of our local tragedy here. I am reminded regularly ( often on this forum ) just how very fortunate I am. I look forward to celebrating this new year with a new knee, the constant severe pain no longer there. Memories of the roller coaster ride this recovery often is, and so much more that my friends here have taught, and are, teaching me.

Just wanted to touch base With my many friends here. Everyone take care, & have a safe, happy new year...
 
@Catalien45 Breakfast sounds wonderful, we are on our way!
Most people go into surgery not thinking about the emotional side of things or how it stirs up feelings we have all bottled up over the years- we end up with too much time on our hands to think, too much pain to think clearly and too much stress from daily life. Getting emotional for ‘no reason‘ is perfectly understandable given how many stresses we are currently under. Between the fires, Covid and your RTKR you have your hands full !
I love your description of walking in the snow with your husband, it sounds so peaceful and beautiful.
You have been caring, understanding and helpful to so many of us here over this past year, thank you.
I would like to wish you and yours the happiest, healthiest and most loving New Year possible.
:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
 
Isn't it amazing how sleeping well just makes everything better? Perhaps lack of sleep has contributed to my bad knee day. Hoping my husband is quieter tonight as sleeping anywhere but my bed doesn't work for me.

I'm glad you're doing so well. Walking a mile is both a goal and dream of mine. I also want to strengthen my quads. As you know being on a walker through my revision and replacement almost three months weakens every muscle I have.

Looking forward to the new year. Happy New Year @Catalien45 !
 
did you find room in your freezer for that roast?

Yes, I did. I took it out a couple of days ahead and then left it out on the day for a couple of hours after seasoning it. Cooked it at 425 on the Traeger for 25 min and then 325 until the inside temp was 125. Then took it off and let it rest. My sister and I made the gravy, we were like two witches over a cauldron (roaster) adding this and that until it was perfect. I can't make good gravy without her, she always knows just what to do. We had my father in law over too. When hubby was taking him home it was starting to snow. We got a dusting that night and then the night of the 25th we got 5-6 inches and our temps plummeted into the deep freeze. We've been below freezing since then and got another 4 inches yesterday morning. Warming up on Sunday, travel has been not so great and then the great Covid outbreak! Christmas Eve dinner seems like a long time ago now.

I'm so sorry about the fires in CO. I just heard about them today but didn't know what was causing them. My niece used to live in Colorado Springs, not sure where that is compared to Boulder.
 
Oh, @Catalien45, I'm so sorry to hear of your family’s connection to the Boulder-area fire devastation! We called our friend who lives in Boulder, on the outskirts, not far from the fires, and she and her home are okay. When they did upgrades to their shared building (a non-HOA-type duplex) they used fireproof materials since the drought there has been so severe and long-standing. I’m so sorry fir your daughter’s friends! My friend had her nephew staying in her home while the rest of his family stayed nearby since they were also evacuated. They went back to check, and their home had somehow survived although a block away had not, so they are sad as well for their neighbors and friends!
 
@Catalien45 sending prayers and hugs for all your friends and family that may be affected by the fires. I hope you continue to get your rest whenever you can, nothing wrong with those naps. After I finally gave into the using of naps I started to feel so much better and only occasionally will use a nap. Take care.
 
It felt so good to be in my kitchen cooking again, and, this is our traditional Saturday breakfast! First time since Oct 6....
Thankyou for your kind words. Once again, your wisdom teaches me... what you said about our emotions makes so much sense. Often, we don’t allow ourselves that outlet, but maybe when we are recovering from bad illness, or surgery, it just comes out. Which is probably healthy. We just cannot always be in control of everything, & maybe a lot gets put into a different perspective.

And yes! Our walk was Lovely! Cold, but we were bundled up well, and the snow was so beautiful, big flakes! We got around 5-6 inches, so it will be a few days before we can walk. Looks like pulling out our old Nordic track!

How is your toe doing? I remember my older sister breaking her toe when we were kids... I seem to remember toes can’t be casted. But hers healed OK, just no memories of how long it took. Hoping yours is doing much better.
Here’s looking to a lovey, happy New Year with our new knees! Btw, one day, you must tell us a bit about your husband’s dioramas.. are they certain themes? I’d love to hear about them.

@ Starsfan22, I So agree with you in regards to sleep. I sleep soundly ( maybe
Genetic? There are jokes about how easily & soundly my family can fall asleep). So when the insomnia hit, it was a Tough adjustment for me! I’m happy to report that I am now sleeping well for the most part. Also, I can finally get comfortable in our bed upstairs! Yay! I was just rechecking dates, I’m a little over 1 week ahead of you in the latest surgeries, so hopefully, better sleep is just around the corner for you. Your situation sounds more extreme, with the loss of muscle from the multiple surgeries. My therapists have been great helping me tackle strengthening my quads. Balance has been my biggest challenge, but , it’s getting better daily. I try to remember my sister’s Dr advice to her: “ if you get just a Little better each day, you are improving”. This recovery so often seems to be a lesson in patience! But, in a way, it has been good that it has taught me how to slow down, (especially my cleanout surgery, tough as it was). I tended to overdo before I realized it with the initial TKR . Not to this second time.
Are you still on the walker? No doubt, you are doing some re- learning. But I do think that “ muscle memory” can be pretty strong. I’m now doing my planks & some of my old exercises I used to do most mornings... my muscle memory is pretty strong, I just forget some of the exercises,. But that’s coming back now, too. The second surgery hit me hard, but it seems that once I started to feel better, I have truly seen improvement daily, albeit very small some days. And sometimes pain & frustration, like everyone. It helped once I got it through my thick skull that this was Major surgery, & isn’t a quick recovery! I Do hope that you will see that improvement & strength coming back to you soon. Here’s to 2022 seeing us get our strength, and stronger, better TKR knees to enjoy the things we love to do. Especially you, you have had a lot to deal with, you deserve it.

@ SusieQ.... that roast sounds Delicious! And the gravy ( I LOVE good gravy!). That is so great that you & your sister live so close. My two sisters are in far Northern California and central Texas, my brother in Texas also. We’re hoping to arrange a family reunion next year, if things settle down, and we visit with phone calls regularly. Both good cooks. Our son sent us photos of the pulled pork roast he made for his girlfriend’s family in Italy, complete with two sauces he made.. He’s always loved to cook, & his cooking is always Good. He and his girlfriend plan to come for a visit in February, if I can find & freeze a pork roast, I’ll get him to do one then.
We also got snow, finally! About 5-6 inches, and Cold! We needed it, it is very dry. All that, plus the high winds near Boulder , contributed to the fires near there. They are still investigating. I think now, the total of homes lost is 991. Colorado Springs is pretty far south, about 1 1/2 hours drive from us, so pretty far from Boulder. We do have a lot of friends in that general area near Boulder, but it sounds like they are all safe. But it has been very sad, and a shock to all of us. The snow did serve to help in getting the fires out, and, much needed moisture. Thankyou so much for your thoughts.
I am working on going downstairs like a grownup :). Your posts are a big encouragement. I just have to be careful to curb my enthusiasm & not overdo it. I did that one day, have to remind myself that is a hard one, & to go slow. l hope you are taking care of yourself, and that all your family is well. Has your son’s band had any recent performances? What does he play?

@BBCG ....thankyou. I’m so glad your friend, and her family are OK. It appears that there are homes that were spared. But even so, I’m sure it is going to be hard for them also, with loss of so much of their neighborhood... I would certainly hate to lose any of our neighbors here due to any tragedy like this. Our sweet next door neighbors shoveled our sidewalk yesterday. I had been a bit concerned about my husband doing it alone; I got us Both shovels when we first moved here, & we always shovel together, it’s fun, and, I don’t worry about him overdoing. We still have at least 2 friends who were living in areas that were hit, but have not been in contact with either for some time, so not even sure if they are still in those homes. Your family will certainly be in my thoughts.❤ I hope you are having a lovely year to come... betting you are having some snow up your way. My sister in California is near Oregon, in Ft Jones. They have had some serious snow there - it looks really beautiful! Do have a lovely day, and year to come. And thanks so much to you, and all the facilitators for making this forum possible. I’m sure I’m one of Many who appreciate all the help & encouragement it provides. Big hugs to you all.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@ Jaspa... thankyou so much. We are fortunate that we live a good 20 miles away from the Boulder area. But close enough that we know lots of folks there, friends through our daughter, & small church we used to go to ( it was near one of the affected neighborhoods, but fortunately, was not damaged); and, when we had our small woodworking business, knew a number of people who staffed the gift shop where our jewelry & keepsake boxes were carried. Unfortunately, that store closed down during the Pandemic shortly after we retired, but a lot of happy memories & friendships there. Hopefully, they are all OK. A lot of people are reaching out, & that is heartwarming to see.

Yes! I agree wholeheartedly on the naps! Since I am now sleeping so much better, I don’t need them as often. But, when I’m going “ full swing”..... that nap sneaks up, & I don’t fight it! Yesterday was such a day, & yesterday evening, my husband looked at me, & said “ time for a nap.” I snuggled down on the couch, with pillows & blankets, intending to just read, and, before I knew it, I had Slept for 2 hours! Still slept fine last night, so I guess my body needed that sleep. And I have felt really good today. Trying to remember, this is a long recovery, & trying my best not to sabotage it! this morning, I made us an omelette with sautéed peppers, onions, chopped ham, & cheese, my husband made toast. It felt So good to be cooking! Most meals are pretty simple, & we try to incorporate lots of protein & veggies for healing. So yes! Let’s still keep with those naps when needed. I guess it’s a matter of learning to listen to our bodies. I’m turning 77 later this month, I guess it’s about time ☺️.
Here’s to 2022 & a new year with our new knees. I hope your recovery continues to move along well, and, again, thankyou for your thoughts & hugs. And thankyou for reminding me of the importance of our naps, & not to feel guilty about them. I still sometimes need that.....
 
@Catalien45 What a lovely post to read!
Ah yes the toe, not sure if I told you but I broke it again on New Year’s Eve when my husband zigged when he should have zagged as I walked around the table- same chair leg met same toe with the same result- luckily it didn’t make it any worse, there were no cuts or dare I say bendings in strange directions:rofsign:
When you break a toe so long as it isn’t cut or bent you just pad it carefully and strap it to the toe next to it to act as a support- should take about 4 weeks to heal- so long as I don’t do it again:bignono:
It certainly makes it uncomfortable in bed at night, doesn’t like any weight on it and it doesn’t help with sleep either but it could have been so much worse. No one wants to go to hospital if they can help it at the moment- our local hospital has had to close their ED, all ambulances other than resuscitation patients are transferred to the hospital in County Waterford. So I will be happy to hide out here with my twice broken toe, my ‘baby’ knee and nerve pain:flwrysmile:
When I get a chance tomorrow I will take a couple of photos of his dioramas, they are all to do with Irish Army, Air Corps and Naval service, majority of them in 1/72 scale so they are tiny. They all are from real incidents or old photos and some of the events date back as far as 1922.
 
@Catalien45 Just a selection of his dioramas for you, the one set at a ramp at the beach is one of my favourites, it’s from an old photo and he even created seaweed on the walls and was able to recreate the wet look there would have been from the tide.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Question about dizziness
    7AF65A38-0643-4837-9018-0795509C0427.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 156
  • [Bonesmart.org] Question about dizziness
    C182DAD6-5779-4204-8DC5-45C900AB43DB.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 149
  • [Bonesmart.org] Question about dizziness
    338F7FCE-0D6D-4F8C-92B4-AF0CC2365C88.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 155
  • [Bonesmart.org] Question about dizziness
    753FA3BE-1555-4D34-9EC0-2CEFB5C934D3.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 143
@Catalien45 - I'm catching up and it is so good that your recovery is on the upswing. What great news! Yes, I have made cheese grits, ham and eggs since you first dangled that pretty carrot. Happy New Year and I hope you are completely pain-free very soon.
 
Hi again! First, I apologize for taking so long to respond to your posts.... and, to thank you for the photos of your husband’s incredible dioramas! I immediately got them up larger, & my husband and I enjoyed looking at them together. We both just Loved them! All the details... I’m still trying to envision the tiny scale. He must enjoy doing them immensely. My husband particularly loves to learn about the history of different eras, particularly World War I & WW II. He was born in 1940, & still remembers seeing a blimp go over their rural home, & being terrified as a young child, also of his Mom making shirts from the cloth sacks flour came in. They lived in the country & had some cows & chickens at the time. I was born in 1945, just before the war was ending, but remember Papa telling me stories about the rationing, & farming the next door lot in exchange , by supplying the owner with fresh vegetables. He was a little old for the draft, and, worked for the railroad, so was never drafted, but, they did their part, like most folks. Where does your husband find all the tiny parts he uses? I have always loved miniatures, even as a child. Our next door neighbors make miniature scenes, & she takes photos & occasionally post them on her Facebook page. They pretty much have their living room devoted to that, with all the things they use for it. Lovely people ❤️. There is just something about the miniature world. Some things, you can make yourself, but the jeeps, and the tanks...all the vehicles. Many years ago, our daughter had a dollhouse, and there was a miniature shop in a nearby town named “ Through the Keyhole”. The two of us could ( and sometimes Did!) spend Hours in there. Thank you so very much for sending the photos. Ever since you mentioned his dioramas, I’ve wanted to know more. Please tell your husband our thanks, for bringing this bit of joy to us.
I hope your toe is healing. We have had several near- collisions lately, as I am getting into the kitchen more, our kitchen isn’t very big. :-). But, having fun cooking together more.... ( my husband assures me that he does Not want to take over my job.... I truly love to cook!). As I get a little stronger each day, i am seeing overall, a lot more strength, which is So encouraging! Down to one PT session a week, next week my last appointment approved by Insurance. My therapist would like to try fo two more sessions, but, if they do not approve, I have the tools they have given me in exercises, and, she said I am doing very well. I am still working on the illusive “0” extension, going downstairs “ grownup “ style, and, balance. She told me those last two are generally the last two things to master. And, I’m practicing the technique @ SusieQ mentions... coming down foot-over-foot, holding onto both rails for some support, then taking the last two steps or so with no support. It’s getting better, I think.
@ Hawk2go.....thanks so much for the encouragement! Any pain with the knee is pretty much after sitting too long, and, when I get up in the night, or first thing in the morning,both pretty much to be expected. And as my strength & appetite both keep improving, I’m cooking more. So glad you got your cheese grits & ham! I’m thinking of some jalapeños in ours this Saturday, my husband loves them that way, & I think I can handle them now. I’m thinking of making our regular Sunday breakfast, huevos rancheros. ( another carrot, but they’re really pretty nutritious, & we like them on the corn tortillas... and, much easier than I thought for so long.).
Monday, I did a Much- needed & overdue cleaning out & re-organization of our fridge in the kitchen & the side- by- side in our basement...... all sorts of “ surprises “. Found I’m good for cheese for some time! Going to tackle freezers in next few days,hopefully. Yesterday afternoon, our daughter brought our grandson over after he got out of school. Just 2 days back in, she felt it would be safe, & she tested them both before they came. It was wonderful having them here, we were missing them. She’s concerned that he will most likely get Covid, even though he is vaccinated, from school, and knows that will mean a period when we can’t see him. She’s very protective of us both. So it was a fun visit, he & I talked about plans for next summer when he will be with us two days every week again, & he conned me into some stories of a character my Mama made up & told my sisters & me as little girls. And, lots of snuggles. It was a wonderful visit.
We got a serious snow right after that walk, and until most of it is melted & warmer temperatures, no walking outside, as there are always “ slick spots” were sun doesn’t hit, & I don’t want to risk a fall. But, my husband has pulled out our old Nordic track, so I will do some “walking” on that, & do a few of my knee stretches. And stay warm & snuggy inside... more snow today possible (we need it!). Still enjoying the luxury of sleeping til 7! My body pretty well sleeps til 6:30 or 7, and, trying to begin my antibiotics by 7, so I can space them well, and, my probiotic with a 2-hour between. But, sure nice to be able to sleep in a bit these days....
Wow! Our snow has begun, so very beautiful! We have hit our high for today, 23 now, down to 7 tonite. . Glad I dressed warmly, even if I am staying in.
So, everyone stay well & warm. And take care of those baby knees. And, again, Eire1, thankyou and your husband so much for the photos. We love them!
 
I haven't seen my grandnuggets in ages, except via Zoom or Duo. I miss them muchly. So glad you spent time with yours.

We had a bit of ice overnight and several neighbors fell, one hurting himself enough to need the ER. Every one is back home now, a bit bruised but otherwise fine. Be careful.
 
@Catalien45 ,my husband thanks you for your very kind message, he loves hearing what people think about what he makes. Before Covid locked us all in at home he would travel around Ireland and do model display shows for charity, whether to generate funds for schools or helping other charitable organisations generate funds- he also would educate people regarding the actual history displayed or how to build such small scale models and dioramas. He uses kits for some of his builds, always altering them to be as accurate as possible, he also builds things from scratch using things for example like the leftover dried out tea bags, the ‘fabric’ can become canvas or even sails and the actual tea can be used combined with either glue or resin to help with making the base of the dioramas. I can’t throw anything out before checking if he wants it for his model making, it is certainly recycling for sure! His link to all the history is the part his grandfather played in making Ireland what it is today, he has his grandfather’s War of Independence medal which has pride of place in the displays.
You sound like you are in a good place with your recovery, don’t forget there is always room for you on the ODIC bench, so don’t push things too much. I am glad you are able to have so much family time, it’s so important for you and your grandson-:friends:
Take care and stay safe!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom