@Catalien45, that gumbo recipe is a double treasure! The Spanish traditions are many, like 3 Kings Day or the Iberico jamon leg on the counter at Christmas time. They walk by, cut a slice and keep on truckin' while they munch.
the St Lucia celebration was really special. I think maybe there were some special cookies. Maybe you & your daughter could make that part of your cookie swap. I remember the photo of the two of you, I was thinking, she would make a beautiful Lucia.
Sadly, St. Lucia is not really a tradition we've ever practiced. Yes, there are some special cookies and Saffron buns that are made. Have I ever made them? No...
My mother used to make Norwegian Kringler for special occasions, church events, etc. I remember she'd get up early in the morning to make it as it always tasted best when made the same day. She also used to make Krumkake and we even tried rosettes once. Sadly, my sister and I have not kept these traditions alive, although we were very happy to finally find our mother's recipe for Norwegian Kringler written in her own handwriting.I love this!I called it my “Shrimp and Grits Tour” (not to be confused with either of my “Margarita Weeks”)

We had a trip to Hilton Head that we dubbed "The Food and Heritage Tour". Shrimp and Grits were a repeated star at many meals. One visit to Charleston that week started with S&G in Hilton Head and ended with S&G in Hilton Head despite having dinner in Charleston. Pretty fun.One time my hubs and I took a leisurely week to drive from northern Virginia to Hilton Head and I tried shrimp and grits in every city we visited.





United States
Portugal
United KingdomOh that is a shame. I missed a few weeks as I had nothing to contribute and have been wondering where she was as we shared a couple of 'early morning' conversations.@Catalien45 What a lovely uplifting post and enjoyable to read
Regarding Eire1, Georgina due to personal reasons has left BoneSmart, however prior to departing, she did ask me to Wish all BoneSmart members a great recovery on her behalf xx

United States
United States
United States
United StatesShrimp, grits and andouille sausage Yum! We are going out for breatfast this morning to a place called The Hideout which is a 5 minute walk from our house. The last time we went for breakfast Jack had chorizo eggs benedict - he likes to try the unusual and he thought this was excellent. I usually go for English breakfast or American pancakes and bacon. Might try something different this morning. Oh well must get up and get dressed! Have a wonderful weekend xx@Carol Anna , Gee, thanks! It sounds like you had a lovely day ahead of you, and starting with banana cupcakes for breakfast... yum! My husband volunteered to make his wonderful Bob’s 8-grain cereal for breakfast this morning, which I Love! I’m doing breakfast often now, which I enjoy. We’re big breakfast eaters, & I love trying new things, as well as our old favorites. I did check the menu at Lucilles Restaurant we’ll be going to ( our First adventure to a restaurant since the pandemic began!), & they do have a version of shrimp & grits with andouille sausage... a possibility, although I still love the entree we often split, which has indescribably yummy red beans slow cooked with ham, poached eggs with hollandaise sauce, grits, potatoes, & biscuit.....that’s so hard to resist! It is Plenty for the two of us, the biscuit is huge, & I usually bring some home to add to leftover squash for a squash casserole. Sooo good.... and, they have chicory coffee, which we love, & you don’t see it many places...... can you tell, I’m hungry!
The sun is shining here also, and much of the snow we got recently has gone, so a beautiful day ahead. Wishing you another beautiful day, and continued healing!

She has settled down a lot though and likes her naps but will go crazy when there's a squirrel in the yard. Yes, it was a lovely summer and I'm sad to see it go. I did start Fall decorating but I'm pacing myself since I now have plantar fasciitis in my right foot. I've got new orthodics on order but they're not here yet. My foot will hurt if I'm on my feet too much. We are also dealing with smoke from a wildfire here that's fairly close. Woke up to smoky skies again this morning. I'm hoping the marine air from the Pacific clears it out again. Overnight it's too easy for that smoke to slither down the valley and head right our way.