Knee Infection* Question about dizziness

Well Catalien you are kicking A$$!!! Im quite a bit younger than you and you my friend are a hero. I cant imagine me going through this at 76. I would be a big baby. But you just trudge on forward like a soldier. keep doing what your doing.

Booger
 
Awww... thanks! I don’t usually feel 76, although, sometimes, in this recovery period....... but, I guess I chalk a lot of it off to my “ stubborn genes”. They seem to run strong in my family . Both my folks lived through the depression ( Mama born in 1919, Papa in 1912)). They certainly knew how yo “ make do”. Mama had a years long battle with bone cancer, & died at 43. But they both always had a strong faith, & we 4 kids grew up in a home filled with love. Mama never knew any of her grandchildren.... Papa did, and was a wonderful Grandpa. So, now, we have our little guy, 6, and I’m planning to watch him grow up, graduate high school, & then, whatever else he does. ( our daughter was 42 when she had him, so he’ll be an “ only”). Gads!! I’ll be in my 80’s & 90’s by then! I’ll just “ keep trudging on ....as for you......I bet if you need something like this in your 70’s......you’d do just Fine! After all, your little home therapist will be all grown up by then.....
Thanks again for calling me a “hero”, today & yesterday kinda tough days... I needed a boost. Thank you, friend.
 
Yikes, Hawkie, we had never heard of BPPV before my husband had his. I don’t remember the particulars, but either the. Epley did not work, or it wasn’t done. We saw a video of this new technique an ENT had performed, & she’d had success, also with patients, it just made his worse. Our ENT referred us to a PT who specialized in BPPV. We had several sessions, & work to do here at home, & 1 final session. She had attended a 2 week seminar training for this. It did clear his up, but was Tough. You can bet, any indication, & we’ll be at the ENT .
Just got off the phone with my Dr. Last night one of my remaining scabs came off. This morning, it is red in that area of the scar. And oozing a bit. So I have an appointment this afternoon to check it out. Hopefully, nothing Serious . I took a shower & shampooed (;really needed!). My knee looks really angry since the shower ( maybe the heat of the shower?... it wasn’t really hot). We put a nonstick bandage over it, & I saranwrapped it for the shower. It is also Very tender! . Hopefully this is just a surface wound, & easily remedied. The Drs office said the nausea hanging on is common. So, that’s a relief!well, sorts- sure wish it would leave.... I’ll gladly take a few pounds back!. Still down 9 pounds, and I am eating, but most things don’t taste good . But - I’ve seen some pretty tough stuff on this site, so, as Booger puts it, keep trudging on! Wish me luck ☺️
 
I hope your visit proves to be much ado about nothing. Does it hurt? I know after my bandage was removed and before my doctor saw my incision, I was not allowed to scrub it or rub anything on it, just let the shower water flow over the area.
 
Yeah, I’ve been doing that, all of it. This just seems to have “ cropped up”. The knee has been itching a lot, & I’ve scratched Around, but never On the incision. Very lightly. But the redness & super sensitivity concerns us both. It’s not oozing a lot, but,did leak onto my pajama bottoms inside that knee, so we have a non-stick antibiotic steripad taped on. Didn’t want it to stick to clothing & have to be pulled off
 
I have had BPPV and used the Epley maneuver to resolve it.

I think this is what I have but I need to do the positional test to confirm it.

@Catalien45 Hoping your incision is fine (I'm betting it is). You'll probably just have to put a bandaid over it until it scabs over again and then wait for the scab to fall off. Showering is fine, just don't scrub the area and pat it dry after. (like @hawk2go said)
 
Hi. We’re back from Dr, pharmacist. Dr said it is a “ surface infection” does not appear to be deep. I did have fever.....100.4 We are to watch it...... If pain, oozing, fever, Anything gets worse, I’m to check into the hospital, put on intravenous medicine, & probably have it flushed out. Meanwhile, I’m on a week of Bactrim. Hopefully, it does the job. I must admit, I am miserable right now, but hopefully, it clears up. No PT tomorrow, just rest this weekend. I felt like I was doing so good, now this happens!oh, well, I have seen some folks go through some pretty awful stuff. I can’t really whine too much hopefully, this is just a hiccup in the journey. Meanwhile, I’m coaching my husband how to make teriyaki chicken - the sauce is from the America Heart Association cookbook, an old edition I’ve had for years. He’s pretty proud of himself, me too
We’ll get this infection whipped- hopefully without a trip to the hospital!
 
Hi @Catalien45 How are you doing? Hope that infection is responding to the antibiotic and that the fever is down and you are feeling better.
 
I am checking in to see how you are doing. Since you said you were going to take it easy, I'm hoping that's exactly what you are doing since your not on the message board.
 
Hi, and thanks for good wishes. Posting this from the hospital. My incision was not looking better, I was feeling pretty bad, so we headed over to the hospital. ER was full, so we waited 2 1/2 hours to get into an ER triage room. It was pretty quickly determined that I would be admitted, but it took 11 more hours to get an available room.. Huge relief once I was in a regular bed & IV antibiotics started. One of my nurses just told me that they have No ICU beds, & have cancelled all elective surgery. My procedure tomorrow will be an exception, as my Dr & his team determined that based on cultures (bacteria growth) ,& progression of my infection, a thorough flushing out, cleaning , & also removal & replacement of the liner in my new knee is recommended. I will be unconscious, thankfully. Scheduled for 5:30 PM, but possibly earlier if possible. Just hoping for no more surprises. I was doing so well, so this is a bit frustrating. It appears that my body is rejecting sutures that are designed to dissolve in the body, instead my body seems to be rejecting them & trying to force them out. The drs & nurses here have been wonderful, but like so many places, there’s a staff shortage. So I am hoping to be home by Tuesday or Wednesday, & catch up then...
@ eaglemom, I am a bit confused.... how do I get on the message board? Still not sure I’m doing everything right...
 
@Catalien45 .... I'm so sorry to hear that you're needing a clean-out procedure, but thankful that you were very proactive in getting to the ER when things didn't improve. Hopefully this will do the trick.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you ask about "getting on the message board." Your posts are going up just fine in your thread. Is there something else you'd like to be doing on the forum?

All the best to you!
 
Wow - I guess that's quite the opposite of nothing to worry about. Now that you're under the doctor's care, I hope they resolve the issues quickly (and use different sutures). Good luck, I'm pulling for you!
 
I'm so sorry that you need togo through ll of this. You seem to be handling these set backs with grace. I hope you recover and get back home quickly.
 
@Catalien45 Sending prayers that things goes smoothly and you'll be home again soon.
 
Oh my goodness!! I'm so sorry you ended up in the hospital but glad you are getting this thing taken care of. Please keep us posted on how you are doing! :friends:
 
Be very thankful the infection was caught early. Hoping antiobiotics take care of infection quickly. You'll be home and back on track soon. Hopefully just a blip!
 
  • Like
Reactions: WFD
So very sorry to hear of this setback but you did a great job of being proactive and hopefully all infection will be taken care of and
you will be home soon to continue healing. Try to keep that positive attitude but also give yourself permission to feel bummed about this - you’re entitled! It’s all extra strain on a body that is using its resources to heal from major surgery. Sending healing wishes to you.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom