TKR Quads and ROM

You're less than three months into a one year healing.

A plateau is normal now and again. The body, besides adjusting to surgery's sudden change in structure, is still periodically going to need extra time and energy (the latter on a cellular level) to continue the tear-down-and-rebuild process.
When I hit new milestones via small increments - say, increasing walking from 1/4 mile to still less than 1/2 mile - I wouldn't even try to ramp it up again for a week.

May I ask, forgetting ROM completely, what small tasks or mobility things you are now able to do that were impossible at 4 or 5 weeks? That's what many of us find the key to patience and keeping our mood good: focusing on, and recording, every little milestone.

It will also give you a helpful record for if/when your other knee has its turn.

My LTKR was November 24, 2023, so I am about 6 weeks ahead of you. My PTs have been incredibly laid back with the mantra all exercise will hurt at first, if it's still hurting badly after 2 hours, you've done too much, row back. My OS also said early on, it's a marathon not a sprint. I've actually found the last couple of weeks when I've been doing lots of chores (at a relaxed pace) in the garden and around the house and had less time for formal exercises, my knee has come on really well. What used to be my pre-op regular 30 minute circular walk actually felt near normal yesterday, and 31 rather than 36 minutes of last week. Almost like I stopped looking and I've made a big improvement. I still keep taking non-prescription medication 4 times a day, nothing stronger after week 8. It will come - and better this discomfort and inconvenience now than ending up in a mobility scooter in a few years time! For now, keep on keeping on, it will get better.

Thank you. Taking off the weekend to see if my knee likes doing normal stuff. Look forward to the day this is in the rearview mirror.

Hi @Gwennie
We would love for you to start your own post op thread - on the landing page for Knee Surgery Recovery Area, find the big yellow button to start a thread.

Pain in other knee probably because of compensation
That happened to me during recovery from my first TKR. I was worried that I would need to replace it as well, but as the surgical knee improved, the other knee did too! I didn't need the 2nd knee done for more than two years.

It does all get better with time. Keep exercising that Patience Muscle!

Something new out of nowhere today. Swelling at the back of knee. Is that always a Bakers Cyst or part of overall swelling when knee feels like it?

Usually NOT a Baker's cyst when it's post op. I had it intermittently and just added ice back there.

Swelling behind knee may be a small Bakers Cyst. Has that happened to anyone? My surgeon said he wouldn't do anything for it?

Yes, we’ve had members with a Baker’s cyst. You can use the search feature, upper right corner of the page, to find other posts about it.

From the Bonesmart library:

LTKR 12 weeks out. Good days and bad days. It's the bad pain out of nowhere that reminds me I haven't turned any corners. I know what the Bonesmart mantra is and I've done my best to subscribe to it. Patience, waiting, don't overdo it and believing someday it will be better. Hard to do after a bad week of pain out of no where but I'm staying the course. No question I'm better than where I was a month ago. Like everyone else, I wish I was further along than I am.
Here's a piece of advice. Don't go on the internet. According to many doctors, at 12 weeks I should be pretty much pain free, golfing and dancing. Ha!
Good thoughts to everyone no matter where there are in the process.

I saw a sports medicine chiropractor who worked with several Olympic teams. He feels I can achieve more ROM by focusing more on stretching my quads than bending my knee. Squat position against a wall or in a chair getting the leg behind a little and leaning back. All of these should be gentle. It seems to have helped me a bit so I pass it along to try or speak to your PT about.

I’m glad that this seems to be helping, but be careful, it’s early to be doing squats.

I saw a sports medicine chiropractor who worked with several Olympic teams.
While it sounds impressive that he’s worked with Olympic teams, those are people who probably haven’t just had a knee replacement less than 3 months ago. So, how experienced is he with joint replacement?

At 3 months post op you are 25% healed, in this one year recovery. Your ROM will improve as you continue to heal this year.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

No question I'm better than where I was a month ago
That's the most important thing- try to hang on to that and ignore the more minor ups and downs
According to many doctors, at 12 weeks I should be pretty much pain free, golfing and dancing. Ha!
I,too found this very dispiriting. My daughter in law's father had had a PKR a few months ahead of me- and was apparently doing so much better.......
Remember- we are all different. We came to joint surgery from different levels of damage. We may still have ligaments that were overstretched and damaged pre- surgery. In my case my MCL ( medial collateral ligament) was very overstretched and it took months to recover. This slowed my recovery. Don't compare yourself. Also remember that surgeons put their best cases on the websites! Even other people who have had surgery kind of forget the early months. It's a bit like having a baby- the pain and the early difficult months recede in your memory so long as everything turned out well.

Everything has to be very gentle. And as the Bonesmart people say it's a marathon not a race. What seemed to be an answer (GENTLE quad stretching) proved not to be a miracle. I was so excited that it seemed to be an answer, I shared. It probably had more to do with the light massage which relaxed things for a bit. Pain and stiffness remain although things are getting better at 12+ weeks.

What seemed to be an answer (GENTLE quad stretching) proved not to be a miracle. I was so excited that it seemed to be an answer, I shared.
It actually is a big help for some people, like me. After 5 surgeries in a three year period, massive scar tissue and an infection, my quad was getting tight enough to interfere with my bend. Gentle quad stretching helps me a lot. Obviously not true for everyone, but true for some.

Sending a hug. I am nearly 6 months post surgery for a grade 6 tibia plateau. No knee replacement but lots of trauma and metalwork in my knee.

The first few months were very tough especially as my initial PT pushed too hard for more ROM. I am now in a good place able to walk for 45 minutes plus and aiming to back driving soon.

Ironically, I have not done any work on my ROM at all just gentle and consistent strengthing work with my amazing PT. We measured my ROM earlier this week and I am at 135 degrees which is amazing.

In short the Bonesmart method works and it will get better.

Has anyone had a swollen lump on the lower front of the knee? It is a"squishy" clearly identified lump, and seems to be causing me most of my pain/swelling feeling when I walk or go down stairs. Thank you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom