PKR QdogPa recovery

Wolvesfan, we are closer To the end of journey everyday...Even if the improvements are in smaller increments..best wishes for a continued slow and steady recovery
 
Wolvesfan, we are closer To the end of journey everyday...Even if the improvements are in smaller increments..best wishes for a continued slow and steady recovery
You two make me feel hopeful. I'm just over 5 weeks out. I can walk a mile and a half, slowly. My dogs are getting fed and my plants watered. I may get one other thing done. Today I flipped the recliners off of the carpet into the entryway so I could have the roomba vacuum the random things collecting around my recliner I've been living in. ‍:heehee:
 
A few observations I neglected to mention on 6 month update.. I have noticed less ache and better stride by switching my footwear from Nike Running sneakers , to Merrel hiking shoes...the harder and stiffer bottom seems to make an noticeable difference ..also if I wear listen to disco while walking ,like the Bee Gees Or Saturday Night a Fever soundtrack etc, I find I have a great pace and stride , with less concern with the ache and tiredness...

now if I can only find my Capezio shoes and Jordache jeans with my Qiana shirt, I will be ready to revisit Studio 54
 
@Qdogpa ... It sounds like the Electric Slide is in your near future. Great update!
 
@Qdogpa so good to hear your news. Slowly getting there and I can relate to you. Can walk further, no pain but yes an ache. I use ice still. Can't go down the stairs properly but ever hopeful. When I walk upstairs I hear a clicking noise, assume normal.? But, we are getting there and your friend time has certainly been true to his name. Stay positive and take care xx
 
@Qdogpa Glad you are doing well! With my first PKR over 1.5 years old. I can tell you things will continue to improve. Now that I have a 2nd PKR only 3 weeks old. I barely notice the old one.

@Andypandy Yes, even with a PKR the clicking and clunking is normal. It either diminishes, or you stop noticing.
 
Yep me too...here at six months out . Some things are so awesome. I can walk without pain farther than I have been able to in years: five miles three days ago. That being said, I have felt minor zingers and more discomfort lately, which has taken me by surprise. I had probably been bending too much and even forgot not to kneel last week (although my knee did not forget), and that could have contributed. We have come Awfully far though!
And I agree about the shoes. I am walking in fairly unstructured new balance sneakers that don’t have much arch support or stiffness, and the new knee is happier with them. Sometimes you find just switching out your shoes when you have discomfort with your knee makes a big difference.
 
Last edited:
@aperture pleased to hear your progress, sometimes we forget just how far we have come. Agree on the shoes, tried different trainers yesterday and felt better. Kneeling!!!! Wow haven't tried it yet and to be honest quite scared to. Any tips grateful. My aim is to be walking further and just need this weather in uk to cool down. Take care x
 
I cannot kneel either--I can kneel on my right knee and awkwardly have my left surgery knee bent with foot on the ground. Anyone out there know how long this takes? It is scary I agree. Qdogpa have you tried?
 
I began realizing I could kneel a few weeks ago. My PT used to gently move my knee cap around (and massage the knee) with a dry, rough wash cloth which was uncomfortable at the time and I wished she used something less abrasive but I suspect that helped de-sensitize my knee? I started kneeling with a folded yoga blanket on my yoga mat and then transitioned to kneeling on just the yoga mat inadvertently and realized it was okay. I still am weary though about yoga moves where I am kneeling on only the operated knee vs. both knees sharing my weight. I can't imagine though ever kneeling outside or on a hard surface.
 
7 month update...still not close to 100%, but the aches are less, so that’s good..I have yet to kneel, though am able to do most stuff without much concern or thoughts about the knee..some days I feel like everything is great, then next day some minor ache occurs to remind me that I am still in recovery mode..Hope all is well with everyone...where the heck has time gone? Time is our friend in this process..But 7 months?
 
@Qdogpa ... I just saw your update and it made me smile. I’ll be six months post op in a couple of weeks, and there are more and more days when I don’t really think about my knee (unlike the early weeks when I was obsessed...ha ha) and then a day like today will pop up when my knee feels a bit stiff and sore. It’s so annoying. This recovery process really is a long and winding road!
 
Believe it or not, even after 4 years mine will speak to me a little bit. Not yelling like it used to do, but a soft speaking tone letting me know it's there. But, hey! it's tons better than what it was before the replacement. That's all any of us can ask for.
 
@Qdogpa yes! 7 months we are getting there. Agree, some days can do more and then back on with the ice. Managed a walk on the beach with flip flops on!!! Couldn't have done that a few weeks ago. Still need to walk further, doesn't like trying to bend to get something out of the cupboard low down and I don't envisage kneeling for some time. So grateful for where I am today, your friend time is good. Take care x
 
Hi @Qdogpa and others, I am 3.5 months (surgery June 1st) post PKR medial and still experiencing pain . Definitely similar to some described here after sitting or driving a bit. Seems to be fine when riding a bike or going for a walk. Can be painful right where the implants are now where it used to be on the lateral side a few weeks ago. Time is the only thing that is constant. I took a few weeks off from PT and just went back for a couple of sessions. Going to see OS next week for follow up. Just want to feel normal and sleep normal again.
 
@Reh63 when I think back, everything you describe seems to be the norm. I didn't believe I was going to get this right and some days the anxiety and fear really wanted to take over. This site has been my saviour, any doubts, advice has really been the best. PT, only had 2 sessions showing what I could do and refused to be pushed by anyone. Everyday gentle exercises, I also have to watch my back, and only now I am walking that bit more. Any niggles the ice is there and I have those niggles everyday but I am more positive in myself now and that helps. Still not walking down the stairs properly but it will come when ready. That's what is emphasised on here, when it's ready. So yes we have the frustration of what we want to do, but can't, not yet anyway. Stay positive and praise yourself for how well you are doing, yes you are. Take care xx
 
9 months post op, where has the time gone! still not 100%, perhaps 80-85%...knee aches while walking, riding Peloton, using treadmill and elliptical... not a pain,,just an ache...still a bit tight...Looking back at the journey, it Was very difficult in first 2-3 months...now in last 2+ months, the recovery has been very slow, but it doesn’t impede me from doing anything ..Hopefully the recovery continues..best wishes to all ! Remember time is your best friend in this recovery process...
 
Last edited:
@Qdogpa thanks for checking in! Indeed, progress will continue in what can be a one year+ journey. That stiffness will ease and the aches will decrease. Sounds like you are doing a lot of exercise - well done on getting your life back.
 
@Qdogpa ... I’m always glad to read your updates! I’m two months behind you, and most days my new knee isn’t very bothersome...but I can sure tell that there’s still healing happening (albeit very slowly). Recently, I’ve had two episodes where after standing up from a seated position, I’ve had a sharply painful, tearing sensation in the area above my surgical knee. It only lasts for a brief moment, but it’s intense and it scares me. Did you ever experience anything like that? It feels like a zinger on steroids! The other thing that continues to challenge me is going downstairs....but I’m working on it. Again, it’s great to get your update, and you have my best wishes for continued healing!
 
Thanks Wolvesfan..this process of recovery is trying to say the least..fortunately haven’t had any zingers in last few months, hopefully it goes away for you ! I hold no grudges to my surgeon , but I was led( perhaps my belief ) this PKR was a 8-12 week episode ... now 9 months and I know it is TIME, not PT or exercises that leads you to recovery...best wishes to a continued recovery!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom