Bilateral TKR Puppylove's New Knees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @tiredwife! I love the dancing skeleton! I am feeling better. I made my daughter a skirt for her Halloween costume this week. I gritted my teeth as she and her friend went trick or treating by themselves (hubby says we have to let go sometime). I think I drove her crazy calling her to check on them. I handed out candy for a while, then headed to my recliner.
 
@PuppyLove, Hi Chris! Sounds like you are doing fantastic with your recovery. I hope you are feeling better and got rid of that bug. It's bad enough to have to deal with this recovery, let alone be sick too.
I was thinking about you today while in PT. One of the exercises I had to do was lay on my stomach with my legs hanging off the table. It puts pressure on your leg to make it straighten better. I remember this exercise from my previous surgery and absolutely hated it as extension was so hard for me. Well today while I was lying there I felt it almost as much in my good knee as my healing knee. That made me think of you brave souls having both knees done at the same time. I don't know how you do it. The only positive thing I can see is you don't have to go through it again. Anyway, I admire you so much and will have to think of you when I complain about my one knee. Have a good evening. Anne
 
@Yorkimom I hate that exercise! In fact, I refuse to do it anymore. There are others that seem to be just as effective and don't produce the extreme pain. I am so glad I had both knees done at the same time. I can't imagine doing this twice. It is so much harder than my hip recovery. I don't think its because of bilateral- I think knees hurt hurt! And I think anyone going through this is a brave soul- especially you guys who've done it twice!

I don't think I overdid it this weekend, but this morning I woke up stiff and sore. It was painful to bend my left knee. I took a shower, which usually helps, but it didn't. I took a Tramadol before I left for PT, hoping a miracle would occur (Tramadol doesn't do much for me usually) but it didn't help either. I loosened up a little in the pool, but my left leg was way behind my right in flexion. I had trouble climbing in and out of the pool, which is not normal for me. I warned the PT before he worked on me, and although it hurt, it was not excruciating and I was walking a little better on the way out than I did on the way in. I went home, took a pain pill, got in the recliner and took a nap with ice ( and my little dog on my lap). That was sooo nice!
 
@tiredwife we actually had great weather all weekend. The rains have just started today! I will have to wait and see if weather affects me. Thanks!
 
@PuppyLove Then you can't blame it on the weather, maybe you tossed and turned too much while sleeping or moved them just a bit wrong. It started raining here last night, looks like it will stay around for awhile. Have a great day!
 
8 Week Update:

I feel like I've had a slide backwards over the past week or so. My knees have been achy and stiff and my walking is less smooth than it was. I still have no stamina, although I think I am sleeping better at night. I am still taking Norco at night and usually once during the day. I have found no pain relief from Tramadol, Acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen.

I switched from aquatherapy to land therapy one day last week and discovered that aquatherapy hasn't been challenging me enough. So now I'm doing only land therapy. My calves have been really sore since I changed.

On a positive note, I do carpool two mornings a week, cook dinner almost every night, and do laundry. After these activities I usually nap/rest in my recliner for a few hours. I still sleep in my recliner- I tried the bed again but didn't sleep well.

I occasionally hear that someone expects me to be further along, but I don't care. I'm tired of being tired. I'm ready to have energy, but there's nothing I can do about it, so rest is my friend right now. I'm trying to be patient. I hope all my knee buddies are doing well ( as well as my hip buddies from the other side)!
 
@PuppyLove I wonder if your increased stiffness, etc. coincides with switching to land-based exercising? I've noticed I ache more after I exercise out of water than in water. That said, I too had what I felt like was minor setbacks when I was 8-10 weeks. I also felt like I didn't make any progress during that time.

I also have people who expect me to be further along. Some were surprised that I was still taking pain medication after work each day, and another told me she was surprised I took so long off of work. They certainly don't get it!! Especially with all that you do (carpool, house chores, etc.) of course you still need the Norco. I didn't stop taking the Norco until about 10 weeks - and still take Tramadol after work each day. Actually, today I had a Hydrocodone after work for the first time in weeks.

You're doing fantastic - keep it up!!
 
@PuppyLove You will find you have some time of backsliding don't let that worry you, it happens. The change of weather can add to it.
 
@ljrfrm , @tiredwife thanks for the encouragement. I actually think I was backsliding at the beginning of the week and switched to land at the end. After my hip, I would exercise in the pool and the next day could really feel it. I think it was because I spent a lot of time paddling around the pool after I exercised. It wasn't possible in the aquatherapy pool- too small. I also tend to get cold very quickly and the PT was in an old warehouse type building, so when I got out of the water I was freezing. I'm switching to a closer location since I don't need the pool anymore.
 
@PuppyLove I've been very bad getting in the pool lately. It always seems like such an ordeal to change, get in, etc. And, like you it's been harder as it's colder lately I just feel cold. Also, I feel like the exercises I was doing are too easy and I'm not quite ready for all out swimming yet. I need to get motivated.
 
I still have no stamina, although I think I am sleeping better at night.
Stamina, unfortunately, is one of the last things to return.
switched from aquatherapy to land therapy one day last week and discovered that aquatherapy hasn't been challenging me enough. So now I'm doing only land therapy. My calves have been really sore since I changed.
I have a strong feeling that this change has brought about a little bit of the aches and stiffness that you are feeling---listen to the knees and do not push it or overdo things.
I also have people who expect me to be further along.
Unfortunately, this is rather normal---those folks who have not had a TKR or a BTKR do not understand what has been done surgically and the trauma---and how long recovery actually takes.
I feel like I've had a slide backwards over the past week or so.
Remember, yo will still have these ups and downs---you are still recovering, so there will be some dumpy times.
I'm tired of being tired. I'm ready to have energy, but there's nothing I can do about it, so rest is my friend right now. I'm trying to be patient.
Hang in there---you are getting closer to your destination, but you still have a ways to go, and I know that you have it in you---the patience and the inner-calmness to get yourself through this. That tired feeling now will be replaced down the road with energy and a great life---one that is pain-free and will allow you to focus on what you want to do---and you do not have to focus on your knees or your recovery.

You will look back at this time period in recovery someday, and smile.
 
Thanks @referee54 it's nice to have reminders. I think not being totally recovered from my THR has made me more tired and frustrated. I think I thought I was more recovered than I was. I'm going to print out my thread when this is all over so I can smile at how great my life is!
 
@PuppyLove, Hi Chris! I just got caught up on your thread. Sorry to hear that you feel like you've gone backwards a little. Changing from aqua therapy to regular therapy can certainly make you feel stiffer. It sounds to me as though you are doing terrific. Car pooling and cooking dinner every night?? I have hardly cooked at all and I only had one knee done, let alone both like you. I can really relate to "tired of being tired". I feel the same way! I want to be able to do things without feeling like I have to sit down because I don't have an ounce of energy left. I am feeling so much better than I did two weeks ago, but I still get bouts of weakness and shortness of breath. We still have no idea what that is all about. I drove once to the club for lunch, but that was only because I hadn't taken any meds yet that day except for Tylenol. I'm still taking meds a couple of times a day and even though they don't affect me one bit in my ability to drive, I still don't want to take a chance driving. My son, the lawyer, said that if I had an accident I would be in big trouble. God bless my neighbor who takes me to therapy three times a week. I don't know what I would do without her because I definitely need my meds for therapy.
Unfortunately I am my own worst critic in my progress. I keep comparing this recovery to my first and this is so much longer. But we will get there. In a couple more months we will be feeling so good with our new knees!!!!
 
There is so much good, informative, supportive infoation on this thread. Many of you are about the same time length from surgery as me. I'm almost 10 weeks and still taking hydrocodone. What is the difference between hydrocodone, norco, Vicodin?

I also still have bad days. But now my bad days are caused by doing too much. I'm never sure what is too much until it's too late.

@PuppyLove, I think you are doing great! I can not imagine having both knees done. I wonder if it is twice the pain? Shoot me! My surgeon won't do two at once. I tried. -- Joni
 
@Djbrund , here's the difference in the meds: Norco has hydrocodone (usually 5 or 10 mg) and acetaminophen 325mg., so it would be Norco 5/325 or Norco 10/325 and Vicoden is hydrocodone (usually 5mg) and acetaminophen (usu. 500 mg), though I think Vicoden can come in different formulations. If someone is also taking acetaminophen, that would have to be added in the the Norco or Vicoden for the daily mg total. I'm taking the Norco 10/325, which does not make me loopy or tired. I have to add benadryl (diphenhydramine) at night to sleep. I don't know if it is twice the pain- I think one painful knee would necessitate my taking pain meds the same as my two painful knees. I am very grateful my OS agreed to bilateral for me- I can't imagine doing this twice and I think those who do it deserve special kudos. My OS only does bilateral on a case by case basis- he said b/c I did so well with my hip and both knees were so bad that I was a candidate. Like you, I don't realize how much is too much until it's done. And that can vary from day to day.

@Yorkimom after my THR I had the same problems you do with lack of energy and shortness of breath. We could not find a cause, and then one day it just went away. I hope your day comes soon. I only do carpool a few times a week ( hubby does every evening- the kids are on his way home from work) and even though I don't think Norco dulls my mental senses, I don't take a chance on driving when I take it. My new PT thinks I am doing well (measurements this week were 117/4 and 124/5) and I only go to the PT clinic twice a week now.

I have an OS appt. tomorrow and I'll post an update after that. I hope everyone has a leisurely and pain-free day!
 
@PuppyLove, where are you? I'm guessing that you are doing well and getting back to your life? I'm now 11 weeks and have a fairly bad cold and cough. Takes my mind off the knee! Hope you are well. -- Joni
 
Wow @Djbrund i can't believe its been so long since I posted on my thread. Sorry to hear you are sick. I hosted Thanksgiving and survived (actually it worked out great- I made the kids clean the house before and after dinner I took a nap while friends took my daughter shopping). I had a sub for PT on Friday and he really stretched me a lot- it hurt a bit at first but I was walking great after. PT went well Monday and I thought I was ready to ditch my Norco. Wrong!!! I had been taking one at night and one during the day. I skipped my after-PT pill and my night pill and that night I had restless legs and trouble sleeping. Tuesday morning I felt like I had a stomach bug (probably withdrawal symptoms) and felt achey and had a headache. My son was also feeling sick, so at first I thought it was a virus, but then my brain engaged and I realized I went cold turkey from Norco. I started taking 1/2 pill every 6 hours and I am feeling soooo much better. I'm going to do this for a few days, then switch to 1/2 pill every 8 hours, then 12 hours to gradually wean off. I didn't think I was taking much, but I guess my body felt differently.

PT has been going well. I'm finding the exercises more comfortable. I'm still having problems with fatigue. My OS ordered labs last week but I still don't have the results. He thinks maybe my Vit D level is low. One of my biggest challenges is still patience!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom