Revision TKR PT Post revision surgery

@dislocate,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?
 
Last edited:
@dislocate,
Welcome back to BoneSmart, sorry you are having continuing pain with both your knees

I had TKR 45 months ago on my left knee and 12 months ago on my right knee.
Please let us know the date of your most recent surgery, a moderator will add it to your signature. Having the exact date will help us better advise you.

Have the surgeons run any tests, bone scans, MRI's, and tests for infection?
Has anyone suggested you may have Arthrofibrosis.
 
@Celle @dislocate
In spite of the impression you've gained, the percentage of people who are dissatisfied with their knee replacements is actually low, when compared to those who have a successful outcome. It's 10-15%, compared with 85%-90% of successful outcomes.
Celle, you may be correct that only 10-15 % are dissatisfied with knee replacements. However, I have read and heard that the dissatisfaction rate is higher. It’s hard to know how that is measured. That being said, my husband who is older than I has had a very good result with a tkr, better I think than my anterior hip replacement.
Dislocate,
I hope things will improve for you, and wish you had gotten a better result.
 
@dislocate
I am so sorry to hear of what a terrible experience you have had with your THR. Has your OS looked at the possibility of nerve injury or impingement? I had a setback just after week 4 where my knee would continuously buckle and pain levels kept increasing making it extremely difficult to walk, my OS kept telling me there was nothing wrong with the implant but having done research I was sure given the placement of the pain and the side effects that it might be a problem with a nerve. I went to my GP who listened to me and prescribed Gabapentin and slowly I have been improving.
My experience is just a drop in the bucket compared to what you have gone through and are still going through. I did experience the clicking and clunking for a while but it did settle down.
I truly wish that things improve for you in the very near future.
 
Thank you for your concern. My frustration is that I can no longer do the normal everyday things I used to do and I'm exhausted visiting specialist that follow the theories in what they were trained for. The OS that performed the first TKR showed a complete indifference to my issues on my last visit with a demeaner of what do expect, you have a prosthetic. My second TKR, different doctor and hospital, is better in that there's less pain and no knocking but still not normal.
I wish you well and pain free.
 
Thank you for replying but from all the responses given to others I detect boiler plate answers giving hope. My surgery has given me much time to read and ask questions of TKR recipients. When they state they are better off having TKR (I personally know six) they refer to the trade-off of having less pain but admit to all the other short comings, e.g, they all have clicking in the knee!
When I originally stated that I didn't do my research I was referring to the TKR procedure and outcome, not the doctor. My particular doctor was the first Orthopedist to do robotic TKR in the area and was highly recommended and he is correct by saying "it is what it is."
I waited a LONG time before I had my first replacement surgery. Probably too long as I was in pain at a level of 6 out of 10 without exertion most days. When I finally went to an orthopedic surgeon he said he didn't understand how I could walk. From August 2020 until now (16 months?) my life is dramatically improved and I got the second knee done on November 30 and it's healing very nicely. Most days I take no more than an ibuprofen/acetaminophen cocktail to relieve any pain which is lessening every day.

I hear some negativity in your response to the kind replies of others who have responded to you. I'm not sure why you're out here... I wonder if your experience is a tragic exception. Whatever your reason, I wish you well, and I'm sorry you have had this depressing outcome.
 
It is common for TKR recipients to have knocking/clicking. As an Engineer I submit where there is noise (knocking, clicking, or crunching) there is contact. When things make continuous contact there will be wear. This leads me to the question, have there been any studies on TKR longevity for recipients with noise vs. without noise?
 
Also an engineer here and when I expressed similar concerns to the surgeon he poo-poo’d the idea. I don’t know if he is right or just is not going to worry about it.

For what it is worth, the clicking in my knee has decreased steadily over time.
 
Hello @dislocate,
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.
 
My TKR is over 5 years old and I can still hear some clunking when I move it in certain ways. Most OSs say that it isn't a cause for any concern.
 
@dislocate,
Welcome back to BoneSmart, sorry you are having continuing pain with both your knees

I had TKR 45 months ago on my left knee and 12 months ago on my right knee.
Please let us know the date of your most recent surgery, a moderator will add it to your signature. Having the exact date will help us better advise you.

Have the surgeons run any tests, bone scans, MRI's, and tests for infection?
Has anyone suggested you may have Arthrofibrosis.
Left Knee; 03-13-2018 Right Knee; 01-06-2021
Sorry for the late reply.
 
My TKR is over 5 years old and I can still hear some clunking when I move it in certain ways. Most OSs say that it isn't a cause for any concern.
I receive the same answers. My concern is how long will the TKR last. I don't want to go through this ordeal again.
 
Thank you for replying but from all the responses given to others I detect boiler plate answers giving hope. My surgery has given me much time to read and ask questions of TKR recipients. When they state they are better off having TKR (I personally know six) they refer to the trade-off of having less pain but admit to all the other short comings, e.g, they all have clicking in the knee!
When I originally stated that I didn't do my research I was referring to the TKR procedure and outcome, not the doctor. My particular doctor was the first Orthopedist to do robotic TKR in the area and was highly recommended and he is correct by saying "it is what it is."
I waited a LONG time before I had my first replacement surgery. Probably too long as I was in pain at a level of 6 out of 10 without exertion most days. When I finally went to an orthopedic surgeon he said he didn't understand how I could walk. From August 2020 until now (16 months?) my life is dramatically improved and I got the second knee done on November 30 and it's healing very nicely. Most days I take no more than an ibuprofen/acetaminophen cocktail to relieve any pain which is lessening every day.

I hear some negativity in your response to the kind replies of others who have responded to you. I'm not sure why you're out here... I wonder if your experience is a tragic exception. Whatever your reason, I wish you well, and I'm sorry you have had this depressing outcome.
Negativity is an understatement. I proofread my comments to maintain some civility because my feelings are of anger. I attended a "hyped up" sales pitch seminar for TKR that promised great results but left me worse than pre-TKR. Without going into details my quality of life has degenerated that many simple everyday activities are now challenging. For those that are satisfied with their TKR my congratulations.
 
@dislocate, my symptoms are very similar to yours. My problem is caused by arthrofibrosis, the excess growth of scar tissue in the joint. You can look in my own thread if you want more details.

On March 7th I am going in for an arthroscopic lysis of adhesions and possible MUA, in a final attempt to fix this.

You should consider seeing a revision specialist to determine the root cause of your problems. Where are you located?
 
Negativity is an understatement. I proofread my comments to maintain some civility because my feelings are of anger. I attended a "hyped up" sales pitch seminar for TKR that promised great results but left me worse than pre-TKR. Without going into details my quality of life has degenerated that many simple everyday activities are now challenging.
I agree with you. My Patellofemoral partial has been a big disappointment, after the glowing reports I read about it. I, too, had a lot of anger the first year or two. It will be 5 years next month, so the anger for me has simmered down to annoyance. While I am much worse than I was before surgery I’m not in much actual pain, for which I am thankful, just some major discimfort, depending on what I’m doing. Like you, many simple everyday activities are now challenging and “it wasn’t supposed to go like that.” But so far it is manageable and after 2 second opinions which did nothing, my trust level very poor for trying for a third.

One of the first things my first second opinion told me was, not everyone gets a good outcome, sometimes the body just doesn’t like the implant, and sometimes doing it over makes it worse. Well thanks for that!

I just wanted to let you know I understand how you feel, and that you’re not alone, if that’s any help, and I realize it’s not much.
 
@dislocate I am sorry to hear that you feel the quality of your life has degenerated. Having everyday activities to be so challenging would make a person angry, depressed, frustrated & feeling hope less. I have no advice to give but just wanted you to know I am sorry and I wish I could wave a magic wand & fix it for you! Sending hugs :console2:
 
I have expressed my TKR frustration and disappointment in previous blog’s and decided not to vent any longer. My friend is contemplating a TKR and I accompanied him to a TKR lecture where again I heard all the hype about successful results. Not hearing any TKR down-side or risks I told the Orthopedist of my situation when he responded “remember now that your knee will never be normal again.” I said to myself “Bingo,” finally there’s an Orthopedist that is either honest or didn’t think before he spoke.
I have long questioned the TKR medical community touting their success rate when many TKR recipients I communicate with are not completely satisfied and more importantly they were never surveyed, including me. In either case I feel better now knowing that my condition is not an isolated case.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom