Guest viewing is limited

TKR PT Failure

I keep walking a little further each time, because I’m walking faster, but it’s about 15-20 minutes each time. My knee allows me to walk once every four days or so.
I keep thinking I need to push through this to increase my stamina,
I understand your desire to improve your stamina, but right now pushing is counterproductive for you and is probably delaying your recovery.

Find your baseline -- the distance you can walk without pain. It might only be 8 minutes or 10 minutes. Do that for several walks in a row. By staying within what your knee finds comfortable, you may find that you recover sooner and are able to walk more frequently than every four days.

Once your knee is happy with that baseline and you can walk without pain every other day, increase the time a little. Then, repeat that for multiple walks in a row until your knee adjusts.

Remember that you are only a bit more than four months post-op. Think about how much you have improved since January and you will realize that you'll be fine for your September trip.
 
Benne68 gave you fabulous advice. She beat me to it! The only other thing I’d add is that you probably shouldn’t be pushing to walk fast. At this point in recovery it is the motion of walking that’s important, not the push to go faster. That just tenses up your muscles and could be why it’s taking you 4 days to recover. It’s the time spent walking, not the intensity that’s important. You can gradually increase the time if you have no pain or down time following a session.

Your swimming sounds like great therapy as it is. But if this gentle movement for 15 minutes causes you 4 days of rest from knee pain, it is too much right now. Cut the time way down (start at 5 minutes) and work up to the 15 minutes. You would increase by a couple of minutes every 3-4 days if there is no pain.

A question, though…..are you doing both these activities in the same day? If you are, cut back to one or the other and the lower intensity for now.
 
@benne68

Thank you. That’s the answer I was looking for and both you and Jamie gave me that reassurance. I especially like the last part where I’m going to be just fine.

:bath:
 
@Jamie

Thanks, I know what to do now.

Oh no, only one exercise set every four days. Slowly, but surely…
 
I suspect if you slow down a little, you'll be able to do those exercises at least every other day. That will be the start of improving your recovery. Although it may not have seemed like it, you might just have been pushing just a bit too hard too soon. Remember.....full recovery is usually the better part of a year.
 
Hi Shea,
The girls trip to Niagara in September sounds like something fun to look forward to. You're still early in the grand scheme of healing from a TKR. So much progress can happen between June and September. You're doing the work now, laying the foundation for the brighter days a head. Your strength and stamina will increase over the next months, so be kind to yourself. September is still a ways off and I truly believe you'll be surprised by what your body is capable of by then. Have a lovely Sunday!
@Shea
 
I really related to some of your experiences
Shea!! I’m sorry this happened to you! I feel so alone in this PT situation! Not one person gets it at all!! I’m stressed out about going back for my next Dr. appointment since I canceled PT completely! I’m not going back ever unless it’s my choice. I ordered the ice/heat wrap right away it’s what I’ve been looking for actually! Thanks for that suggestion! Now I’ll research Feldenkreis! Thanks everyone! :)
 
@Jamie

Thank you, I’ve got a good plan now. And probably a knee that’s a lot less achy than it has been. I’ve been giving myself zingers and sharp pains out of the blue.

@Layla, I love your words of encouragement. One comforting thought is that one of the ladies will be 3 1/2 months out from her TKR so I might have someone to rest with if necessary. She’s young, 63, and tough though, so I’ll bet she’ll be ready. She’s also done three months of pre-surgery PT without a problem and I imagine that will help her recovery.

@Flashcat Thanks for reading about me. I know what you mean about feeling like you’re on your own. My friends are starting to hint that I need to be back to my old life by now instead of sitting around so much (icing).

About quitting PT, I can only repeat what our dear leaders told me…. you’re the boss of your own body and you know what’s best for it. My doctor definitely didn’t get it either. You gotta hang tough and let their words run off your back like a duck, if necessary. Yours might be a lot more understanding than mine were. I did cancel my doctors and PAs appointments, but they ended up tracking me down. I hope they remember me when word gets out about how wrong they are about aggressive PT.

I didn’t end up doing Feldenkreis TBH, but I’m doing okay without PT, actually a lot better than last year when I let PT cripple me. Best of luck with all that and let us know what happens.
 
Last edited:
I’m so proud of you, @Shea. It’s very difficult to be the fish that swims upstream when everyone else wants you to go with the flow. Stay strong. You will continue to see benefits in your healing if you listen to your body’s messages.
 
My friends are starting to hint that I need to be back to my old life by now instead of sitting around so much (icing).
You may want to casually mention that recovery from knee replacement isn't a quick fix. It's more like a marathon than a sprint. Everyone's journey is different and you're focusing on the long game. The majority take up to a full year to feel normal and many notice progress into their second and third years as you've probably noticed with your first TKR recovery. Recovering from two major surgeries within a years time is no small feat. You're still healing, building strength and adjusting. You're doing really well! :yes:
 
@Layla, I loved your empathetic post, you’re really good at those. And thank you for correcting my spelling of icing, neither looked right last night, and spell correct was nowhere to be found.

I do think the two major surgeries in a year have had an impact on the rest of my body and brain, as well as my knees. It’s good to be reminded of that.

:ok:
 
Thank you for your kind words, Shea, and you're welcome about the spelling, happens to all of us. My computer is constantly dropping periods (.) in inappropriate places and in my haste I'm good at forgetting the last letter in words sometimes. :wink:
Enjoy the rest of the day! :SUNsmile:
I do think the two major surgeries in a year have had an impact on the rest of my body and brain, as well as my knees.
Absolutely! You're not weak or doing anything wrong, your body and brain are doing hard work, you've been through a lot. When you think about it, your body was still in healing mode from the first surgery when it had to begin healing from the second. You're a champ! :egypdance:
 
Hi there, @Shea :wave:

Checking in to see how you are dong now that another months has passed. Bet you are getting excited for your trip!

Give us an update when you have a moment.
 
Hi Benne, thanks for asking.

I did figure out something that takes knee pain completely off one’s mind…get something far worse. In the hospital now for the second time and hoping to get some relief.
 
I'm sorry to read this news, Shea. I hope you're surrounded by a superior medical team and receiving loving care from those tending to you. Sending a warm hug and lifting a prayer for your comfort and swift healing. :prayer:
@Shea
 
I’m sorry to hear this! Get better soon :)
 
Hi again, @Shea. Just wanted to check in to see how you are doing. I hope you are home now, and recovering from your recent hospitalization.

We are here for you.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom