Guest viewing is limited

TKR PT Failure

Thanks @Jamie, that helps a lot. I’m eliminating those now.

BTW, Amazon sells a jasmine scented BenGay that allows us to go out in public. It has a lightly scented flowery smell for about a minute, and then nothing.
 
Eeek!! @Shea
Tendons and ligaments don't complete basic healing for 12 weeks.

Long and short arc quads, resistance bands, bridges, are all strengthening exercises that are simply not safe to do yet and can lead to acute tendonitis.

Most of us find that doing multiple sets during the initial several months, or doing a lot of exercise all at once, is counterproductive. My own experience is that doing a few reps of one or two exercises at a time is a good session, and one or two sessions a day is plenty. Many BoneSmart members report improvement in swelling and pain from adopted this easier program.

Personally my only exercises in the first three months were
1) seated heel slides, done very slowly with deep breathing and with the leg as relaxed as possible. Just edging into discomfort and relaxing into it.
2) quad sets, which really seem to foster waking up the little nerves and little muscle bundles so the quads at a whole fire more effectively.

Lest you think I was too wimpy...
My knees are fully functional, with great range of motion. I can walk three times further than preop, garden and do tai chi as much as I want, and since starting weekly targeted strength training at 9 months postop I have developed the ability to do 220# leg press, 110# quad extensions, and 100# hamstrings curls.

Slow and steady keeps us healing well and exercising safely!
 
@mendogal, that really simplifies things for me and I will leave the other exercises behind. I have to see my OS next Wednesday for an x-ray and then I’m free and clear from that practice and will most likely quit my current PT. I found out that he calls me if I cancel appointments.

Bonesmart techniques are filled with common sense. Where else on our body are we expected to torture a body part to get it to heal.
 
Offhand, I’d say it’s way too early to do anything with resistance bands or to do bridges.
Absolutely agree on this. I didn't do bridges or touch a resistance band until about 4-5 months. This all sounds too much to me.
As @Jamie says- you have done this before and know what you can achieve.
Trust your body.
Can you walk comfortably? I found that the best exercise
 
Agree with @EalingGran both my new knees really liked walking, and were quick to let me know if I increased it to quickly in terms of time or distance.
 
PS @mendogal , you are absolutely not a wuss! Those leg presses, etc. really show us what our new knees are capable of. They are strong!
 
@Shea ,
That is a lot of exercise to expect someone to do in the early months.
I agree with what others have said, a few gentle exercises and walking are all you need for now.

When you start to increase your exercise/activity, you may want to start with 1x a day, one set. As for stretching, a 15-20 second hold should be enough.

Time to give your knee time to recover, slowly increasing exercise and activity over the next few months.
 
Thank you, Jamie. Here are the exercises I was given:

Seated hamstring stretch, 2 sets, once daily, holding 30 seconds

Seated long arc quad, 10 reps, holding 5 secs, twice daily

Standing terminal knee extension with resistance, 10 reps, two sets, hold five seconds, once daily

Active straight leg raise with quad sets, 10 reps, two sets, hold two seconds, once daily

Sidestepping with resistance at ankles with Counter support, 10 reps, three sets, once daily

Forward and backward monster walk with resistance at ankles and counter support, 10 reps, three sets, once daily

Supine bridge, 10 reps, two sets, hold five, once daily

Standing tandem balance with counter support, two sets, hold 30, once daily

Romberg stance, two sets, 30 second hold, once daily

Heel raises with counter support, 10 reps, two sets, once daily

Oops, I think I did some of the once daily exercises twice, yesterday.

Will someone please remind me how to tag someone?
Goodness @Shea reading all these exercises literally had me wincing and my toes curling! I’m glad you are here again and able to follow the advice of the mods. Hopefully as you go forward you’ll gain more confidence to make your own decisions and make progress in your own way. Good luck
 
My own ups & downs have had similarities to your journey. Stopped mainstream PT after 3 months with best assisted flex of 111. I seek input from a couple of YouTube PTs, this forum & my past experience with grad work in Athletic Training . I found help with my Guarding Tensioñ from vids by Total Therapy Solution & a middle ground on pain levels from vids by Succeed. It seems to be specific to you & your current phase. In the US, the system is so fragmented that my surgeon & my PT were in separate metaverses - very confusing. Glad you've found this supportive forum & wish you in creating your custom approach.
 
my surgeon & my PT were in separate metaverses - very confusing.
Yep, this is commonly the case. So many members complain about the disconnect between surgeon and therapist. Out BoneSmart recommendation is to listen to your body -- it will tell you what you that knee is ready to do. And….we’re always here for guidance if you need us.
 
@kneed to know

Yes, I found it on YouTube.

Reason Your Knee Won't Bend After Knee Replacement Surgery​

Yes, I expect that’s exactly what’s going on. It looks like the way I’m gonna get around that is to stop caring at all about my ROM (already there), get far away from the people who do and just go on about my life, incorporating swimming, hiking and e-biking once I’m able.

Also, that’s exactly what happened to my shoulders. I tensed up badly when I saw the first physical therapist coming for my knee to push it back. I tend to do that with bodywork that has a pain component.

Thank you for sharing the links, I’m going back for more.
 
@kneed to know I’ve found those particular YT clips you’ve mentioned really helpful. He’s been in the PT business a long time and is very down to earth and easy to listen to.
 
My new favorite ice pack wrap, available on Amazon. It’s easy to drape and stays cold for a long time.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] PT Failure
    1741803089877.webp
    65 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
So sorry you’ve had to endure this, but I’m very impressed with how you’ve advocated for yourself and your body. We are not cookie cutters and each of us knows out body better than anyone. Refusing therapy because it’s “too hard” or you don’t want to do it is one thing. But there should be communication between your therapist (and your surgeon) and you about what is working and what isn’t. When you get days worth of swelling and pain following an exercise session…duhhhh….it’s NOT working and there needs to be an adjustment. Bravo for you for recognizing that. And the proof for you is your first knee!!! You’re going to be just fine without all this hassle. :thumb:
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary and Happy Sunday, Shea!
I like the ice pack above. I hope it brings you great relief.
Best wishes for a good week and thanks for sharing your recovery with all. :)
@Shea
 
I’m curious about when other people were able to sleep on their sides after a TKR. I don’t remember the first knee taking this long, but I can’t manage it yet. A newly discovered sciatic nerve on my surgical knee side is slowing things down. I’ve tried pillows in every conceivable place, but no go.
 
Think it was about a month when I could sleep on my side after my revision TKR. I used an old foam neck pillow with a flat surface on one side to support my knee in a stable position.

Hopefully your PT can help your newly discovered sciatic nerve.
 
Back
Top Bottom