Guest viewing is limited

TKR Progress of a November Nimble

So, while some muscles are happy and not too bad, my hamstring decided to act up this week. Not doing anything out of the ordinary. I'm blaming the change in weather. ;)
 
Okay, here I am at 12 weeks post-op and things are moving along pretty well. The biggest downside is that in the past week, my hamstring has been acting up, with or without exercise. I've been warming it for a while at night and of course stretching it out as needed. It's slowly subsiding. When it's at its worst, however, the whole leg gets stiff, right down into my ankle region.

Exercise-wise, been doing the stationary bike for about 20 minutes a day, no tension, at a moderate speed -- not fast but not slow. Enough to get a mile or so in. It warms the knee up wonderfully. Have a few other stretches I do to warm my leg. Finished PT last week with a 1-122 range of motion. It's all been pretty easy, pushing through only to the point of discomfort.

Still having stiffness and "log leg" upon arising, but the morning is when I have the least discomfort walking on it. Still use the cane, although not much around the house. It comes in handy when I'm out and about, on uneven ground, etc.

The incision is healed, and my three-month checkup is next week. So, we'll see what they say.

Someone here mentioned using a little massage technique on their knees to help "release" the sore points of the quads, etc. So, I tried it and it does seem to help.
 
Okay, so lots of heating and stretching and the hamstring is finally starting to relax. Still have interesting stiffness around the knee, but it seems less intense. Still, what's happened the past few days is that when I stand up and put weight on the knee, sometimes it aches very intensely. Other times, it barely whimpers. Still icing it a couple of times a day after walking, etc. Have pulled back on the stationary bike until the hamstring settles down, and otherwise, just doing the slow and simple stuff.
 
You're still on that rollercoaster ride! And that's completely normal. No fun, but normal. Two steps forward and one step backward...that's what this recovery is for the first few months. But, as time goes on, those forward steps become many more and backwards will be less and less!
 
And what a ride it is! Today woke up with just a little stiffness in the usual places, but a bit of a muscle spasm in a new place. Was able to walk it off slowly with the cane and now seems to be happy.

I have my three-month checkup with the OS this week; today is 13 weeks since surgery!
 
Well, here I am at 16 weeks and been off traveling a bit the past week or two. Things are going pretty well, although the darned stiffness is still an issue. It's not as bad as in the past, but still very much evident. Also, if I've been sitting a while and go to stand up, it's like I have to wait for everything to "engage" before I can take a step. Occasionally it's painful to take that first step, but then after a few steps, it subsides and I can walk with my usual limp.

Next doc visit isn't until May, so I have some time to continue my healing and flexing. ROM is around 135, and I can stroll for a mile.
 
Also, if I've been sitting a while and go to stand up, it's like I have to wait for everything to "engage" before I can take a step. Occasionally it's painful to take that first step, but then after a few steps, it subsides and I can walk with my usual limp.
It's very common to have to stand for a moment before being able to move forward. This will improve as time passes.

Work on that gait. Try to walk without a limp as much as you can. If you still go to PT, ask your therapist to help you with this.

Your flexion is good. Can you straighten your leg fully? If not, that could be the cause of your limping.
 
Yes, I can straighten my leg fully. The muscles at the knee are still stiff and I think they are the culprits.

Once I get going my gait is reasonably good.
 
What you describe about standing for a moment upon rising from being seated... I had that! The stiffness at first (the first few months) could be pretty severe, though of very short duration. As time passed, that pain became less and less, and the urge to stand for a moment or two before walking also faded. Sometime around four or five months I startled myself when I jumped off the couch and dashed off to answer a ringing phone. No pause! No pain. It was kind of amazing.

Stiffness rules the middle part of recovery. It’s because of lingering swelling inside the knee. I think everyone has it to varying degrees. It may be minor enough folks don’t see it worth talking about. Other people will find theirs more annoying and ask if there’s any way to get over it. There is a way: Time. Do those exercises you and your knee love, expect a little stiffness for a while, and one day your stiffness will just resolve on its own.

One thing that does help a bit is a nice massage. It’s not a fix or a cure, but your knee will feel less stiff right after one.
 
Last edited:
I love the massage. My PT showed me how to do it. Every night I massage both knees and I guess I should do it more often! :)
 
Three miles on stationary recumbent bike today. Knee felt pretty decent, although there's still that lingering stiffness. Gait is improving. Massage is helping the knee quite a bit.
 
It sounds like you're coming along really well! Good job!
 
Your knee seems to be recovering nicely now.

How about updating your thread title, to something a little shorter that will still be related to your recovery?
If you think of another title, we will change it for you.
 
I would love to change the thread title. I noticed it wasn't allowing me to do so.

How about: "Progress of a November Nimble" -- would that work? Thanks for changing it for me.

c
 
Yes, the recovery is coming along. I'm interspersing days of exercise with days of rest, to give the muscles time to recover. That seems to be doing the trick. Still get the occasional odd charley horse, and the "attach points" of the quad muscles still get sore sometimes, but I find that icing and "toes above nose" elevation seems to help. Walking is getting far easier.
 
That’s a great title!
 
Week 17 report -- had my first chance at water exercise today. After talking it over with the PA at my OS's office, she advised that I start slow with a few aquacize exercises. So, I spent five minutes simply walking circles in the pool in water up to my chest. Then, did some bicycle motions, some leg lifts, a few very small squats, and some treading water. All in all about 15 minutes of activity. Very relaxing and it felt really good to get back in the water again after months away!

The stiffness in my knee continues to be there, but is dissipating slowly. Still get occasional twinges along the nerve bundles, but the sciatic nerve has calmed quite a lot. So much so that I could stop taking gapapentin. The only pain med I am taking now is Tylenol. Still icing occasionally, and also going "toes above nose" a few times a day to relax the leg.
 
Praise God for the sciatica relief! How did you do last night after your water work out? How about today?
 
What a great report! :) Water exercise might make you a little sore at first. My muscles got sorer than my knees, but both piped up in the beginning. The way you say the stiffness is gradually abating is the way it happened with me. A little bit every month until one day you realize it’s almost completely gone.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom