Guest viewing is limited

TKR Progress of a November Nimble

Be careful when you start exercising in the water. You don't feel the movements, and the water adds resistance, so it is just like doing weights. I tried it first at 4 months and just walked for 1/2 lap. Boy, did I pay for it. I waiting another month and started slowly and did much better.

I was addicted to my ice cuff! I couldn't wait to get back in it!
 
The water exercise will have to wait until at least February or so and that'll be nearly four months post-op. I saw the surgeon again yesterday for the six-week recheck and some scabbing is still there, but otherwise things are healing pretty well. He wants me to wait at least a month after the last scabs fall off before I venture into the water. I will keep that advice in mind about the resistance.

I have done some aquacize in the past, but not with a gimpy leg. ;) Not a big deal -- I have a treadmill here at home and plenty of stretching and other activities I can do a couple of times a day. My ROM is up to 110 on good days, he'd like me to try for 125 by the end of a year post-op. He is very much into the "let time do its job, don't push too hard" school of thought, which pleases me no end.

The surgeon cleared me for any activity except water ex, and my rehab PT specialist is pretty pleased with my progress. They cleared me for driving a couple of weeks ago, but I've only driven a couple of times -- my DH is still taking on chauffeur duties for a while.

So, I can go into the holidays more or less not having to worry too much about overdoing. THis is traditionally our "slow down, relax and enjoy the snow" season anyway.
 
Last edited:
“Slow down, relax and enjoy the snow” sounds like a perfect time of year for healing. :reindeer: When you return to the pool, start slow. Even though it won’t feel like your knee is getting tired or doing too much, you will know it later. I’d suggest starting small, like with just walking in the water, maybe doing only the upper body exercises (if aquacize) and see how that goes. If your knee doesn’t protest, then next time add in a little more of the lower body movement (not full-out) and see how that works. Just work up to a full session. This worked well for me. My first session, I just walked and did a few of what I thought were mainly hip movements, but the water pressure pushed on my knees a bit in ways air doesn’t, so I felt it later. Not bad, but noticeable. I took it slow and can do full sessions now. I’m working up to doing more laps.
 
Hi all, 8 weeks today since TKR and i gave myself the gift of a few days of enhanced rest, elevation and icing each day (in addition to what I was already doing). PT is going well and the knee stiffness is slowly lessening. Still have some residual scabbing at the incision, although the OS is not concerned.

So, the healing continues.
 
Sounds really good! I'm sure that rest time felt really good!
 
It was a good rest. This week I had rwo PT sessions --my ROM is now out to 115. They tried me on the stationary bike and i did 5 leisurely minutes. No pain.

Still having stiffness, but it is not as intense. I keep wondering how kong before it's gone.

Also had my right knee injected with cortisone. It is not in very bad shape, thankfully. Not a candidate for replacement and I hope to keep it that way.
 
At nine weeks, things are going pretty well. I'm still battling stiffness in the left knee, but the fatigue is slowly abating, and the scar is well on the way to healing. The last of the scabs are finally gone. The cane is still my friend, although I don't use it all the time.

One question from those of you who are farther along -- how long does the stiffness last? It still feels like I have a rubber band around the knee, although certainly not as bad as the days right after surgery.
 
Not to discourage you, but I still have stiffness at 9 months. It varies for everyone.
 
Stiffness was the last to go for me. Now, none at all! You'll get there, too!
 
Stiffness can hang around for a while. I'm eight months out and, for the most part, have no stiffness. Here and there I will sleep in a way (on my back with legs flat out) that causes my knees to stiffen. Same if I sit for a long time, a couple hours or so, with knees bent. After I move them one way or the other, the stiffness goes away. I have no stiffness, ever, while walking.

The stiffness should go away entirely over time. My mom and sister, both with knee replacements, tell me this and so do folks here. Looking forward to that. :) :-) (:
 
Thanks for all the replies and the link about stiffness. It's good to know there's an end to the tunnel at some point. ;)

I had a very productive stretchy workout yesterday and today it isn't too bad for stiffness. My pain levels are usually now at 1 at the most. My fave exercise is the stationary bike, slowly, at NO tension, and I just ride along. No pain, no stiffness, and it's a good warmup.
 
Going on 11 weeks post-op. The tight feeling across the knee continues, although is not as severe as it was. My quads are still a bit sore (pain level 1 at the most), and I can walk short distances without the cane. The incision is healing well and I may be cleared for gentle acquacize in February if it's completely healed. ROM is 118, with no pain at the extremes.

One thing that I have really enjoyed doing is using a stationary bike. Our rec center has several, including a recumbent one. I just set it to "no" tension and spin away and it really loosens up the knee. Plus, the quads are strengthening slowly, on both legs (even the non-surgical one). My PT is very happy with the results and I have one more session with her before they sign off on their part. They seem to think I can do all the rest on my own, which I'm pretty sure I can. We have a good rec center and she's showed me how to safely use the appropriate machines slowly and without pain.

Sleeping is good -- I still have half a tramadol on nights when the stiffness is a bit much, combined with 2 Tylenol (325 mg each) tabs. It seems to do the trick and I manage to sleep most of the night without problems.

It seems to ME like the process is inexorably slow, but to the docs, my DH, and others who have had this surgery, I'm making progress. So, I believe them. And, still in love with my icing cuff. ;)
 
It does sound like you're doing great. :thumb: We all thought it felt slow even when we knew better...
 
I have been doing deep water walking/jogging/running since the first of the year. I have found 30 minutes was fine. 40 minutes was OK. 50 minutes too much. I do 30 to 40 now. When you get in the pool slowly increase your daily minutes in the pool. If bouncing on the bottom of the pool exercising hurts, try a flotation belt and move the workout to the deep end.
 
I'm enjoying reading this post as I'm 11 weeks today. I've not done any water exercises but am walking and riding my folding e-bike (since 5 1/2 weeks). I love it because there's no strain on the joint and i'm getting the cardio & flex for the knee as well as the great outdoors, especially after been "house bound" :loll:
I was able to get behind the wheel & drive after my 6 week post op check. My good lady did an awesome job of chauffeuring me around despite my "back seat driving"; it's a bloke thing Lol.
Post op pain post after 6 weeks is managed by paracetamol with 10mg of codeine & If I over do it I have Tapentadol IR 50mg.
[Bonesmart.org] Progress of a November Nimble
 
67HR, I probably will be able to start water exercise in a few weeks. For now, I'm just doing stretches and short stints on the stationary bike. My last PT session was two days ago and my ROM is 122. All that achieved without pushing it too far -- just gentle stretching, walking, and patience.

The stiffness is very, very slowly abating.
 
Good idea to wait just a little longer. Your exercise choices are clearly doing the job! I’ll throw in a good word for the water exercises down the line: love them!
 
Susie, at a minimum I want my incision to be much more healed than it is right now. It's pretty good, but I am in no rush to start until I'm sure there's NO chance of infection. I have a three-month follow-up with the doc in a week or so, and we will discuss it then. Even so, I'll probaby wait until well into Feb. I DO love swimming, but I think I'll start in the beginners aquacize -- they have one for folks who are recovering from all kinds of surgery that is supposed to be very slow and easy. That sounds like my ticket. ;)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom