Bilateral TKR Progress and questions<

You know, @Jockette, if you would have just learned to "hold it," you wouldn't have had all those problems!:rotfl: Not that your situation was all that funny--as you know, I had to take my toilet chair to our new-to-us condo specifically because of the danged low toilets there. Who thinks to check things like that when they're vacation-house hunting?? :holysheep:

@KTAYRS, I also have struggled with tight hamstrings, IT band, etc. I'll be really interested to know your thoughts on the electrical stimulation after you've had it several times.

Oh, and I also hate icing. I know it's good for me, but it's like eating spinach with vinegar. :shocked:
 
@Polkadot :rotfl:

I just bought an easy portable raised toilet seat to take with me when I know I'll be visiting someplace where I'll need it! Not going through that again!

And I don't like icing either. Even very early in recovery my knee felt extra stiff after icing.

Oh well, my uncle says, that's why there's chocolate and vanilla!
 
Sounds like this new private PT is going to help loosen up those muscles and tendons. Good. :)
I hope your pain continues to get less and less
 
I had my second PT session with my new PT two days ago. The day after I was really sick (not claiming it was related to PT - just a really bad cold) and stayed in bed all day. My legs were hurting more and now I relate that to having been sick. This morning I woke up feeling much better, and from the moment I stepped out of bed, I was walking with no stiffness and so very little pain that it almost qualifies as no pain. I can feel how much more smoothly I am walking. I do not expect it to be smooth sailing from this moment on, not after all the ups and downs I had over the past 6 mos. But I finally get a sense of what life will be like when I finally do recover from all of this.

I cannot bear how the health fund PTs do all those exercises that do not help, and actually harm, patients. I am not going to sit quietly for this. I am going to see if I can do something to change the way they do pre- and post-op PT. No reason I should have to pay for this privately when they pretend to offer PT.
 
Wanted to update everyone on my progress. It was a roller coaster over the past few months. Even after finally getting to a PT who understand the dynamics of TKR and the recovery from it, I had ups and downs. Then, worst of all, I suddenly got peroneal tendinitis and a painful spur on my heel. I could barely walk because of that. Just when my knees were feeling better and I was starting to enjoy walking, I could not.

The PT used shock waves to break up the calcification on my heel and applied the same needles and electric pulses on my peroneal tendon as he did on leg muscle trigger points (he called them that). The spur treatment did not hurt, but my heel was in horrendous pain the rest of the day and the whole of the next day. My PT had me get out of flats and into shoes with heels (not high heels), the kind of shoes I have not worn since my knees got really bad. It was nice to go shoe-shopping for once after so long and to wear normal shoes to work and not sports shoes. He also made insoles for my sport shoes so that I would have better support.

At first, when he did the needle thing and the electric pulse thing, it hurt a lot. Gradually, he was able to increase the intensity of the electric pulse and it began to feel more like a massage. That was a sign that my muscles were getting better.

After a while, I no longer would get sudden cramps or shocks of pain shooting through various muscle groups when I would walk or turn around.

I would have good weeks, when I thought I was getting better and then a bad week when everything hurt again.

If it were not for the foot problems, I know I would be farther along by now. That really held me up. But I am feeling a lot better. I can walk two kilometers without resting (I prefer not to rest till I get back home because getting up after resting is harder now than just keeping on going). My pace is a bit more normal and not so slow. My gait is smoother and I can walk without a limp.

Every time I get up in the morning, I stand still for a moment to see how much easier or harder my first few steps will be than they were the day before. Sometimes easier; sometimes harder, still.

On days when I am more active, I really suffer in the evening. But I can count on waking up to a new day feeling refreshed and with renewed energy in my legs. I praise the day I got the referral to the private PT. He saved my life, I think.

My knees are now perfectly straight. I don't know how much bend I have, but enough to do what I want to do. I look at my daughter as she bends to the floor in a crouch and remember when I could do that, and I never will again. But I am also not 35 years old any more.

I am grateful that you are are here because without you, I may have kept doing the very exercises that were making me worse. I took the chance and believed people I do not know that I found it on the Internet, something famous for being a place anybody can put up anything they please, truthful or not. It felt right and it turned out to be right. Thanks for being here.
 
Last edited:
Hi. I am kinda scared and in great pain. In may 2017, I had bilateral knee replacement. Results were not great but I was in bad shape before surgery. Then, while preparing for stem cell transplant (diagnosed with multiple myeloma in may 2018) my Hickman port got infected and it went to my right knee. They opened the joint and cleaned it out and I was on strong antibiotics for 6 months. Op was in Oct 2018 and transplant in Dec. The infection came back suddenly and my surgeon, who I trust, is going to put in the spacer on 4 Jan. Meantime the pain is excruciating. I am at home and otc pain meds are of limited effectiveness. While I am scared of what lies ahead, I am certainly looking forward to the epidural and then the narcotics.

For some reason I don't remember having suffered too much from pain after the btkr and I'm hoping it's not like having a baby when you suddenly remember, while delivering the second, how much the first one really did hurt. Am I making sense?

In any case, now having to rely so much on my left leg to move around the apartment, I can see how really good my left knee is.
 
Hello @Shifra - and :welome:

I'm sorry you're in so much pain.

I hope that the surgery you're anticipating won't be as painful as you fear.

Is your surgeon going to remove the metal parts of your knee replacement and replace them with an antibiotic spacer? That's what usually happens, followed by a course of intravenous and oral antibiotics.

It's a good idea to have a doctor on your team who specializes in infectious diseases. He/she will best be able to interpret blood and aspiration test results and advise on the antibiotics likely to be most effective.

I'm going to ask my colleague, @PegGar16 , to come and talk to you. She'll understand what you're going through, as she's trodden the same path with her joint infection.
 
I have been away for a while. Things were going smoothly for me, well, sort-of. I had BTKR in March 2017 and after many many months of ups and downs, I was able to walk around about 1/4 as much as I did before my knee started going bad. The worst advice I ever got was the knee surgeon who told me 10 years earlier that while my knees looked like those of a professional soccer player, I should hold off on tkr as long as possible because the techniques and materials get better all the time and to avoid the high possibility of needing to replace the replacement (I was in my 50s). So I finally went in when I had gone from being an active hiker and sports person to barely being able to walk around the supermarket. I went to a different surgeon and found the rare individual in this country willing to do both knees at the same time.

The reason I did not regain my full abilities at sports and hiking was because my muscles were so degenerated from lack of use that it takes a long time to rebuild them. I started along that process and then other things got in the way.

Anyway, a year later, I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma. After getting my cancer under control, a stem cell transplant (SCT) was scheduled, but before that could happen, the Hickman line they put in my chest for giving me the chemo got infected and the infection went to my right knee. Suddenly, I could not walk. My surgeon gave me VIP treatment in emergency and admitted me to the hospital. The immunologist insisted on a total revision surgery but I did not want that. My surgeon agreed to try doing surgery in which he merely rinses out the infection or whatever he did there, without replacing parts. I did not want to delay my SCT. So I did that minimal surgery and four weeks later was walking normally and did the SCT with great success.

Now, a year and two months after that minimal surgery, the infection came back with a vengeance. I no longer live in the same town (I was a 5-minute walk from the hospital) but I still consulted with my former surgeon, the only one I trust to cut my knee open. He just "gets" me. Plus he gives me VIP treatment in the hospital. I feel really cared for by him. After getting over my shock of barely being able to walk again, I am now accepting of the need for 2-stage revision. I am at the point where the pain is so bad that I can barely walk around my house even with a walker. OTC pain meds help but not totally. My surgeon has been on Christmas vacation and I decided to go home from the hospital and wait for him to be back at work. I don't want anyone else. So, tomorrow I will be hospitalized and on Jan 4 I get the spacer put it.

I remember what it was like getting up from surgery the next day, but then it was both knees (and funny cuz the PT did not know where to stand to help me get up for the first time). I remember that I was well protected from pain by an epidural and then by narcotics for a while. I don't know if they will be this kind with only one knee done. I also don't remember how many clean clothes I need to take to rehab or if I wear hospital gowns even there. Serious questions like that!

Anyway, tomorrow my daughter drives me all the way from south of Tel Aviv up to Rambam Hospital in Haifa. I am trying to get into a rehab facility near where I live now so it will be easier for my daughter to visit me. Although, since we are in lockdown here in Israel, I don't know if she will be able to come in any case.

I admit that I am scared to have to go through all of this again. Never thought I would ever be on the operating table ever again in my life. But more than scared, I am in pain. Soooo, bring on the knife and let's get this over with!!!
 
Last edited:
I’m so sorry you’ve had an infection develop twice. Hopefully this next process will cure it totally. Please let us know how it goes, we’ll be with you all the way.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​


4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website
​

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
@KTAYRS I don't know what hospitals are like in Israel, but I can advise you on what I took /needed for my left TKR in 2019. As the hospital stay here in Portugal is usually 2-3 nights I took a nightdress, a pair of extremely baggy shorts and a T-shirt all easy items to get on and off, I did not need in October a jacket as our temperature were still warm, plus I took a few toiletries, actually I only needed my toothbrush as the hospital provided the rest, although it is nice to have a nice smelling shower cream as that first shower after is bliss. For my feet I took good fitting slippers and a pair of trainers, make sure you have non-slip soles as you do not want to fall.
I also took in my own elbow crutches as the hospital did not provide.
However prior to your surgery the hospital should give you a list.
At home I lived in baggy shorts and t-shirts for the 1st couple of months, I daily rubbed my scar with different types of fabric so when I transitioned into my daily clothing I had no issues.
At home I found most useful a toilet seat raiser, my toilet seats were/are very low and this made getting on and off easier, I also had t-shirts with large pockets to carry things around in too.
Wishing you the best of luck for the 4th any questions just feel free to ask xxx
 
Last edited:
Thanks so much for the information, Jockette and for your personal experience, Sara61. I will probably be in the hospital for 3 days and I don't mind wearing hospital gowns, but then if I can get into a rehab center it will be for about 2 weeks. There, I will definitely want to wear my own clothes. Thanks for reminding me about toiletries. And that reminds me to take my own microfiber towel as hospital towels are so small.
 
Good luck with your surgery, you will feel so much better afterwards! You are a brave and strong person, be proud of yourself. Having both knees done at once must of been difficult and I give you a lot of credit for doing so. I had outpatient TKR surgery in June 2020 and again on dec 10, 2020 so I didn’t have to worry about hospital cloths to wear but for sure baggy loose pants, pajamas are the fashion to wear. Take whatever you want to the hospital to make your stay more comfortable and so it feels like hone. Don’t forget your phone charger! I wish you the best for a speedy recovery and that 2021 will bring back your ability to resume doing the hobbies you live. You got this!!
 
Hi, and you are making a lot of sense. You have had so much going on in the last couple of years so I understand the having a baby thought. I hope the stem cell transplant was successful.
Hopefully your surgery on the 4th will give you some relief. I had a 2 stage revision and I remember with mine there was the surgical healing pain and with the clean out and antibiotics there was relief of the throbbing pressure pain (only way I can describe it) when they removed the hardware and inserted the antibiotic spacer.

I am happy the left knee is doing so well for you.
 
@Shifra - It appears that you are using two identities here on BoneSmart, Shifra and KTAYRS. I'm afraid you're not allowed to do that, so your identities will have to be merged.
Which username would you like to keep?
 
Celle, I reported when I discovered my older account and it was taken care of. Thanks
 
Less than 24 hours after op. I had a horrid time. For some reason, they didn't keep my pain meds up and in recovery I was already in pain. I don't remember such early onset of pain after my other ops. When I got up to the ward, they hooked me up to the epidural but I already had to get over pain that was so strong. I asked for help. One nurse brought me optalgin and that helped a bit. But it wore off and the epidural was not yet really effective. I had to beg for more help and finally they brought me intravenous pain med. Finally, I had some relief. But nobody is making sure I stay ahead of the pain. I will tell the surgeon when I see him later. I don't understand it because I'm certainly not their first patient and it wasn't this bad before.

I like the medical staff here and this attitude surprised me.
 
I’m so so sorry to hear your struggling so much. It’s disappointing that the hospital wasn’t on top of your meds especially so soon after surgery.
I don’t have experience with epidurals or any spinal anasthetic -but I’m really hoping it will allow you to sleep and at least get the “edge off” the pain.
thinking of you.
 
I’m sorry your pain is not being controlled better. :console2:

Keep after them and yes, let your surgeon know.
 
Keep after them, they know better. And perhaps-I know it sounds lame but add some meditation or deep breathing techniques. On your phone you can find some good guided meditation on YouTube ( free) or even get an app like Calm. YouTube meditations help me with pain sleep and anxiety.I’m sorry to hear you’re in such pain.Blessings to you.
 
Hello @
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.
 
Back
Top Bottom