Guest viewing is limited

Preparing for Surgery Oct. 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow - I really appreciate all the specific suggestions. I know I'll get a walker and a non-motorized ice machine at the hospital, but that's all that was mentioned. I've been shopping on Amazon for a leg pillow, toilet rails and shower mat, and I think I'll be looking for some more loose slacks to have on hand. Doesn't sound like skinny jeans will be a good idea for quite a while! I've got a lot of ice/gel packs already, so I'll wait on that to see if I need more. I'm going to be a REALLY good patient in hopes that my recovery goes smoothly; we'll be spending February in Louisiana, and I hope I will be ready to do some dancing by then. I am so grateful that I'm retired; I really feel for so many people that have a return to work looming over them.
 
I thought the raised toilet seat - it's just a seat you put on top of the toilet boil rim was very beneficial. I used mine for several months. I got mine at Walmart. With that (and the walker) I just thought it was so much easier especially when you don't have much bend in your knee at the beginning.

In the first weeks I just wore warm up pants. For the first couple of weeks with the bandage and compression stocking my scar was protected from irritation. I pretty much wore those or shorts. I didn't really have much irritation with my scar tho.

The polar care unit I got from the hospital was motorized. I loved it. Anytime I was sitting I was icing my knee using the polar care unit. Ice in the unit does produce really cold water but you will find you will go through a ton of ice. What I did instead was freeze water bottles (8 total) and use those instead of ice. My unit holds 4 bottles and I kept 4 in the freezer (sometimes 8 bottles) so I always had frozen bottles available. Since my TKA I've had 2 knee scopes and used the polar ice every time. It's had quite the workout! Icing goes a long way in pain management and control of swelling.
Great idea with the frozen water bottles.going to try it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
The temporary handicap placard was handy. Especially if you will still have one bad knee while you're rehabbing with your new TKA knee. My OS office did the paperwork for me and I received it within a couple of weeks.
 
The temporary handicap placard was handy. Especially if you will still have one bad knee while you're rehabbing with your new TKA knee. My OS office did the paperwork for me and I received it within a couple of weeks.
Sent in for mine this week. Hope it comes quickly. I will have one bad knee still so will come in handy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
A sock aid!!! I still use one 5 months out from my hip replacement. I know it will help when I get my knee done.

Handicap placards are helpful but many times there are no open handicap spots available.
 
Some of the things - walker, leg lifter, reached, maybe even the toilet raiser were sent home via social worker contacting the med supply store. My insurance paid for them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I LOVE all of your suggestions - I'm feeling much more prepared. BUT - I've been trying to internet shop for a non-slip mat for the shower and am not finding it. For every one that has glowing reviews, there are a few reviews from people that have almost killed themselves when the mat slips! Plus our shower bottom is not smooth; it's textured, so from what I've been reading, the suction cups won't stick it down. The texture of the floor certainly isn't non-slip, it's just not completely smooth fiberglass. I don't want to glue down appliques. Any suggestion for a mat that might be safe, or am I better off without anything?
 
My tub is slightly textured and this one has adhered, and absolutely not slippery. I have it in almond which is opaque and feels "squishier" underfoot than a clear one (different brand) in our other tub.

Slip-X Solutions Extra Long Vinyl Bath Mat Blue, 39" long by 16" wide. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PBW7C0/?tag=ate362da-20
 
Thanks for the recommendation - I see that Amazon has square ones for the shower, too.
 
In the earlier days of recovering from my BTKR, I actually used a shower chair and sat in the shower. I would let the hot water warm up my quads and the heat let me work them to get a bit looser.

i used the shower seat for some time.
 
Referee54 beat me to the suggestion of a shower chair, I used a shower transfer chair after both of my hip replacements. The chair allowed my husband to go to work without worrying about me showering at home. I used it for about 2 months.
 
Okay, another question! I bought this pillow from Footsmart through Amazon. Despite what the picture looks like, the tallest part is only 3/4" higher than the knee part (knee 5-3/4", heel 6-1/2"). Plus, the calf indentation dips so low it's 2" lower than my calf, so all the pressure is on the back of my knee and heel! It's going back. Any suggestions for a better choice (other than just bed pillows)? And how high should I be trying to get my knee?
[Bonesmart.org] Preparing for Surgery Oct. 21
 
I just used pillows and a leg lifter to help get my leg up on top of the pillows. You could try finding a regular wedge like they use at physical therapy clinics. If your city has home health supply stores you could probably find one there or they could help you find one.
 
A body pillow with the end turned under worked for me.
 
I have a plain wedge, but if I had seen yours first, I would have bought it! I placed a regular size bed pillow on top of mine ( vertically) and that gave me gentle support for my feet ( I'm only 5' tall!) and had absolutley no problems. I did ankle pumps if I woke at night and before getting up. Worked for me until I went to outpatient PT and they said "NO! Sleep with your leg extended!" The Home PT guy thought my set up was fine. Who knows?!!

I did not use a shower mat because the suction things hurt my feet and made me feel unbalanced. My shower floor is not slick and I had no problems. You'll probably find quick showers are all you have energy for at first.
 
Thesoutherncook, why would they want you to sleep with your leg extended? I get the idea from this website (and logically) that having it elevated as much as possible would be preferable.

On another note, I see that you had a rotator cuff repair - pain-wise, how did that compare to your TKR? I've had a fair number of surgeries, and the pain after rotator cuff surgery is what I always use as my idea of "10."
 
@Dancing Fool ... The 2nd PT was concerned about my extension. I think that is why he freaked out over me sleeping elevated although I tried to tell him my leg WAS extended. After all, my legs are pretty short! :walking:

My OS had a great pain "cocktail" and my pain was not even in the same ballpark with rotator cuff surgery!
I can't take any codeine, so I was on 50 mg Demerol when discharged. I took it every 4 hrs for 2 wks then cut back to 2 or 3 in 24 hr always taking one at night! I agree that RC was a 10+ and this has been a 3 in comparison!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom