TKR Pre-surgery exercises?

nightowlblues

Country
United States United States
hello! i’m having my RTKR in late june and have just started quad building exercises in the last 2 weeks but am wondering if i should’ve been doing them all along. will my healing be slower because i just started them? i hate doing them because i can’t stand the bone-on-bone grinding sensation and they’re a little uncomfortable but i wouldn’t call it pain.

i’m super nervous about surgery so this is just my latest thing to kind of obsess over

Welcome to BoneSmart, @nightowlblues! And congratulations on getting your surgery date!

Please don't worry too much about pre-op exercise. Many of us were unable to do anything prior to surgery because of knee pain and we have recovered just fine.

I will share BoneSmart's helpful pre-operative guide here -- it's a lot to read, but I'm sure you will find many of these articles helpful as you prepare for surgery.

Knee Pre-Op Guide

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

The website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

So feel free to ask any questions you have about this surgery and recovery; our members will be happy to share their experiences with you.

You might look at Klapper & Huey's "Heal Your Knees". I haven't seen it directly but I expect it is similar to their "Heal Your Hips" book which I am using. Most of the land-based exercises are probably ones you already know/do/were forced to stop doing because of your knees, but the water-based program is unique and would be useful to try (obviously, you need access to a pool).

A friend of mine is in desperate "kneed" of knee surgery and is in the long, long queue for it - she's still doing her water aerobics class but can't hardly walk around the block anymore. I think that shows it's still possible to exercise with aqua fitness, but it remains to be seen how much it will help with recovery. She hasn't seen the book so maybe I should gift her a copy to help with her post-op/recovery.

I don't think this program can actually heal your knees (or your hips) if you're far enough long to have gotten in the surgery queue but it might help maintain some muscle strength going in. I'm hopeful for me on that account.

i’m super nervous about surgery so this is just my latest thing to kind of obsess over
Feeling anxious about the surgery is completely normal! I was so anxious, my husband had to drag me to the hospital the day of my TKR. :heehee:

Don't hesitate to share your fears on the forum. We've all been through it and we're here to help!

thank you for your replies. i’m not even sure if i’m replying in the right area lol. i’m definitely in very bad shape, couldn’t walk around the block if i wanted too. i’m able to do my daily stuff, i take care of my 83 year old mom and average around 5,000 or so steps a day but each one is painful. i’m very bow-legged now too. i had my brother record me walking the other day and couldn’t believe how bad it is. i know i hurt, i didn’t realize others could tell too. i’m nervous about the surgery but also eager to see what may be on the other side for me. i’m glad i found you all :)

Hello and :welome: to BoneSmart, nightowlblues! Thank you for joining us.
You are replying in the right area, so no worries, please. :)

Wow, you have a lot on your plate in supporting your dear mom with loving care, all the while each step you take is painful. I am so sorry.

Going into surgery is an anxious time. We can all relate. Once it’s behind you, you can’t help but think, if only I knew, I wouldn’t have been as apprehensive.

Surgery prep moves pretty quickly, they keep you occupied with questions, your surgeon may pop in as well as the possibility of the anesthesiologist. The mood is light, as is the conversation, because they’re not anxious but only doing what they trained to do and what they do best. Just another day at the office for the medical professionals that will be helping you. Let them know you’re nervous and they can give you something to take the edge off.

You will get through it and you’re going to love the result. One month from tomorrow! I hope time flies for you and I wish you comfort as you wait.
@nightowlblues

average around 5,000 or so steps a day but each one is painful. i’m very bow-legged now too
I'm sorry about the pain, but it mean you've definitely made the right decision to go ahead with the surgery!

You will be surprised at how much straighter your leg will be post-op. I couldn't believe the difference! (Of course, now the other leg is bowing....it will need to be done in the not too distance future :oyvey:)

Both my knees were bone on bone, I got very short of breath (person) walking a short distance and up a flight of stairs meant I would need to sit a bit and rest After my R knee replacement I had much less shortness of breath. I didn’t get person climbing stairs or walking in my home. My smart watch informed me about 10 days after surgery that my walking heart rate had consistently dropped 10 BPM while walking. I hadn’t known that there was so much exertion with the pain of walking with worn out knees. I think you will be amazed at how much just one new knee will improve your life. I’m getting my second new knee next week and am looking forward to having 2 functional, pain-free knees. Blessings

Autocorrect changed “person” to person in my post, sorry.

I’m getting my second new knee next week and am looking forward to having 2 functional, pain-free knees. Blessings!

Last edited by a moderator:
good luck with your surgery! thanks for your reply

ok apparently i don’t know what i’m doing when i try to quote someone. whoops. sorry for the double post and confusion

I am doing pre surgery exercises. . .going to PT 3x a week, my flexion and extension improved only after 2 weeks of PT . . .I think any exercise before surgery will help.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom