Guest viewing is limited

Pre-op Pain Medication Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jomarie58
It might be worth a call to your PCP to get some pain relievers, stronger that Aleve. You shouldn't have to deal with that kind of pain while waiting for your surgery. Best of luck to you.
 
New Year , New Hip on the horizon! Was so eager to connect here this new morning of 2016!!!!
Who would of imagined this a year ago.......?
I was up most of the night in credible pre op pain, from the l. Hip joint all the way down the thigh and shin to the ankle.!!!!! Almost went to ER until my husband brought me two large ice packs and another Tylenol dose and Tramedol. I'm also taking 2 meloxicam ,am and pm per day. Max amount of Tylenol , and as of the past few days up to 3-4 Tramedol per day . Surgery not until 1/15, and my dr is on vacation until 1/6 !
Don't think I should add anymore anti inflamitories as would be concerned about liver damage.

Not sure if this amount of incredible pain is typical ....I guess for me it was only about 1 level below childbirth
But it lasts non stop, not every few minutes with a break between! Would love to hear if any one has recommendations , will go to urgent care later if it is not any better later today. Not sure they will know what to do tho.
 
@Cynthia777 - I'm just checking in here after having been away too long! It sounds as though you're scheduled for surgery. I know you resisted for a good long time - you were scheduled before I was! - but I know you won't regret it!! I'll be thinking of you.
 
Thank you all for your gracious answers! I've missed all of you something fierce!

Today my surgeon took me off the Tramadol (which was prescribed by my GP) and put me on oxycodone 10-325 every 4 to 6 hours. He said I won't have any problem with them not working post-op and my surgery is still over 3 weeks away.

@geneva, I sure hope you've found the pain relief you are in desperate need of!

@jomarie58, I hear you girl! I have to take a deep breath just walking from bed to bathroom. Are you able to get pain meds from your GP? Prayers sent for you and @geneva
 
@Cynthia777 hope your new meds work for you! Done be afraid to take the more frequent dose. Oxy seems to be the gold standard for joint replacement pain management.
 
Hi all.....yes my dr also recommended that I go on a Percocet type med which made a huge difference.
Stopped the meloxicam , and still occasionally take the Tramedol. One rally needs to
G hi fiber and stay on top of the constipation the oxy, Percocet and Tramedol causes.....middle of the night trip to the Safeway was not fun last night Thanks for all your feed back! Now to just get my Homefront in order
With supplies,lots of frozen meals and soups, and loose ends finished with business affairs. What a process!
Best to all.....so wonderful t read the testimonies of those on the other side of this, most of whom are doing quite well.!
 
@geneva
I take 400 Mg's of magnesium and it does the trick for me. You should see my recovery gear! From hospital bed, bedside commode to rolling tray etc. etc....my room actually looks like a fully stocked hospital room! If I have to go through this, I'm going to go through it like the Queen of England would! :heehee:
 
@Cynthia777, I am SOOO happy your pain has been relieved to that extent! That is wonderful. Keep on keepin' on, Friend.
Good for you for getting your place kitted out for royalty. I like your style. :yes:

@geneva, God love you. That constipation due to pain meds can be brutal. Take good care of yourself and don't be afraid to ask your doctor about what you can use for relief. Hang in there! :)
 
Hey girls! For those of you in pain, so glad you are finding things to help. I remember those days well. I promise you that the incision discomfort post op isn't anything like that bone pain in the pre op days. I still think it's similar to walking on broken glass!
@Cynthia777, of course your room is decked out! Thanks to you I had my room in tip top shape for my September surgery. :) My husband still marvels and tells people how well I had prepared. :loll:
I meant to tell you and then got sidetracked.. the large wipes you recommended from Walmart? They rock! Both my hubby and I love them, and they are a good general purpose solution. thank you! It ranked right up there with the skorts.
 
I am glad you were able to get help from your physician. It is always better to talk with your doctor than to take old meds. Good work, I hope the surgery goes well.
 
Wow you all are amazing....magnesium;check, suppositories and sennekot as emergency back up, 5 devices for post surgery arrived ; leg lift, sock thingy, new sweat pants, chair cushion
Cane, check check........getting practice using all now out of necessity! The Amazon delivery guy thinks we're celebrating Christmas a few weeks late?
7 days to go ....
 
I just can't stand how fabulous and loving all of you are...thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I haven't been on much, as I'm trying to put the surgery out of my mind until it's a wee bit closer. Praying for all of you nearing your surgery and those still in recovery. God Bless you all my friends! :angel:
 
@geneva I'm readying to order all of my Post-Op toys as well- I agree, might as well get some practice runs in with the equipment whilst we are... sober and narcotic free. Amazon is like a candy store for me- and I have plenty of goodies in my cart to enjoy with my new hip... in 20 more days!
 
@Cynthia777 Of course we are here for you! This has already been a long journey for you. We are with you thought pre and post op. If you are feeling anxious log on here. It does help to talk to other who are going through this or have been there.
 
We t for my joint class on Wednesday and the doctor said he would give me Tramadol for this last week before surgery. Oh my! It does help! I actually slept four hours in a row last night! I am impressed by how organized you all are! I need to get my bedroom set up and get all my aid devices. January 15 is going to be here soon!
 
@jomarie58 Congratulations on being able to get some sleep +rest with the Tramadol prior to surgery. I vacillate constantly at night (when I wake every hour and half) about getting more assistance than Tylenol PM ( which is less than zero). I think being being as rested as possible when we welcome our surgery is very important, sounds like you made a great choice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom