Bilateral TKR Post-TKR Scar Removal Scope

Kimbies,
Our members have found after [HASH=159]#arthrofibrosis[/HASH] surgery that taking it easy and avoiding inflammation allowed their knees to heal.
@skigirl rested, kept her knee iced and elevated for about 3 weeks after her surgery, and has done very well.
I have tagged her, for you.
 
Last edited:
I wish I could help, but I haven’t had that procedure. I’ve had many scopes, and they were not nearly the ordeal that my knee replacement has been, but I don’t know how helpful that is in your case.
 
I had arthroscopic surgery to have scar tissue removed after my first TKR, about 10 years ago. As I remember it was a “nothing“ surgery. I walked out of the surgery center with no aids and took pain pills for about two days. I didn’t do anything special except icing and elevation and was back to work in about a week. It was nothing like a knee replacement. I hope this helps.
 
I have had a Lysis of adhesions surgery back in 2016 following a different knee procedure. I rehabbed the way I was told with aggresive PT and CPM. I ended up having most of the scar tissue come back over the next year because I overdid the bending and exercise....all because I was told a myth that if I didn't, the scar tissue would return. Unfortunately, this bad advice allowed ALL the scar tissue to come back. A chronically inflamed knee is a hor knee. The heat dries out the soft tissues, allowing the tissues to stick together----THAT is an adhesion. When this keeps happening, it's arthrofibrosis.

Fast forward to 2019 when I had my TKR. My new surgeon is a reconstruction/revision specialist. He said the key with anyone who has/had arthrofibrosis is to do VERY gentle rehab/recovery with no pushing/forcing the knee, no CPM, and only 5 minutes of bending each day---any more than that keeps the knee angry and inflamed.

I had to find an open minded PT willing to take a less conventional approach, but it worked. My TKR recovery was longer than many people, and my range of motion came back very slowly, but the key controlling the swelling/inflammation and not adding to it each day. Even at 6 months post-op, my surgeon wants no more than 5 minutes a day of biking/bending, and other activities/exercise should NOT force more bending.

Personally, I suffered greatly from the "bend more" philosophy after Lysis of adhesions surgery and MUA in 2016. It only brought ALL the scar tissue back, forcing my TKR surgeon to spend loads of time removing it last May during the TKR. I have lived and learned! Mostly, I've learned a Revision& Reconstruction specialist knows more than any PT or other Orthopedic surgeon when arthrofibrosis is involved. We MUST be treated differently. [HASH=159]#arthrofibrosis[/HASH]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I too had a scope to investigate why I was still having pain after many revisions and issues and xrays showed no issue. The doctor said all he saw was a lot of scar tissue and he thought this was causing my kneecap to be in the wrong places, so he tried to clean it up. Still had pain after that, so I started seeing an acupuncturist who targeted scar tissue with treatment and suggested a supplement that is supposed to help with scar tissue called Serrapeptase. I started taking it last spring. Stopped for awhile. 2 times since then just because I wasn’t sure it was worth it and then forgot to order it. Both times I had more problems with my knee after not taking it. I have other problems and am scheduled for another revision, but have not had the severe pain.
 
Did they remove the scar tissue? Did you get any relief from that? I’m so sorry you still have pain. I’m getting nervous for Thursday, but I have to try something.
 
Last edited:
Serrapeptase
When I looked this up, it says it removes inflammation. That's why you would feel better while taking it, then start to feel worse while off of it. It sounds like you have inflammation in your knee, not adhesion. There would be no way a supplement could remove adhesion, to my knowledge. Serrapeptase is also a blood thinner, so you have to be very careful taking it with other blood thinners.


Before anyone takes any supplements, you should do lots of research and make sure it doesn't react with anything you are taking. Always check out the side effects.
 
I do have scar tissue, and a lot of it, confirmed with an MRI.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom