THR Post surgery

@Layla i did ice it it helped it was a wake up cause I had no pain at all so hip wanted to let me kno slow down still healing

Listen to your body, I learned to let the hip run the show. I'd make a loose plan for the day & if Miss Hip went along with the plan we got stuff done, otherwise if she was not cooperating I iced & relaxed.
And I am not a patient person but I learned to be. Of course I was 70 when I had my surgery & I have a wonderful partner & he told me not to worry & just relax so that helped of course.

Glad you're listening to the signals your hip is giving you. Remember recovery lasts a full year for many, naturally making progress all along the way, but in the entire scheme of things four weeks post op is still considered early recovery. Take it slow and easy because it's easy to over do it on the days we're feeling good.
Happy Friday!
@ajhines19

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Can you believe it's been a month already? I can't.
I hope you're thankful you had the surgery and you're feeling stronger week by week.
Enjoy the evening!
@ajhines19

Great news!!!!!

You’re welcome! May this month be much better than the last.
You're doing it! :yes!:
@ajhines19

Many don't. I am certain you will hear from others on the topic. I attended three sessions and decided I didn't need it and recovered just fine. I never had any home PT before the three outpatient sessions. I did do the exercises at home that I received when discharged from my surgery site.

It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

Did anyone not do outpatient therapy
I did not because my surgeon does not believe it is necessary for THR recovery. (The same surgeon DID order it after each of my knee replacements).

He told me that the best way to recover from hip replacement surgery was to walk. He instructed me to try to walk a mile/day -- building up slowly to that goal, of course. So that's what I did. My recovery was great and I never even think about my hip!

I am skipping outpatient therapy for this one. I plan to slowly increase my walking and in a few weeks add the indoor bike. I could probably do some indoor biking now but they warned me not to overuse the flexors early on which might create a stubborn case of tendonitis. The hip angle at the top of the bike pedal stroke would push that, especially on a road type bike with low front end. After I see the doc at 4 week follow up I will reevaluate if he believes there might be some benefit or specific need for outpatient therapy.

Last edited:
I did not skip outpatient therapy but did stop in week 2 after 4 sessions. I will wait until the surgical trauma is more fully healed when I see the surgeon for the 6 week post op visit and then decide if I want more. I am now walking without a cane and no limp but at a controlled pace in selected environments. I plan to use my Nordic walking poles to help me extend my distance without losing good form and also add some upper body activity. I started riding my indoor upright exercise bike for few minutes at very low resistance. Saddle height is high enough to limit hip flexor strain. It felt good.

How did everyone deal with a sick person in there house I’m so scared my daughter is going to give it to me

No PT for me. My OS said just walk. I did go for a therapeutic massage which was great & wish I could go for more but they are costly.
As far as daughter being sick, stay away as much as possible, not sure her age, & wash hands frequently & don't touch your eyes & face.
Some sicknesses you cannot avoid but my partner had bad flu for almost 3 weeks in March & I was fine. I stayed away, washed hands frequently & stayed downstairs a lot.
I take Airborne everyday & Vitamin C.

what if you are going to sit on the couch and forget you had it replaced and go to sit and sit on your leg bent

If you mean your op leg...and it's okay...don't worry. Just don't do it again. :wink:

Good news!
Now behave...or else we'll have to scold! :no-fin: :wink:
@ajhines19

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Helpmyknee21
Recent bookmarks