Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post surgery - Finally!

Hello and Happy Monday, BarabooProud
The area is also very hot.
Typically you will notice a temperature difference between your surgical and non-surgical knee. You will experience warmth in the knee due to the healing and increased blood flow to the area. However, intense or increasing heat should be addressed especially if there is increased redness or swelling, fever or chills, wound drainage or significant pain that's worsening.
I hope you get the pain under control soon. Lots of comfort to you!
I wonder if I'm overreacting. Feels better with ice, elevation, and oxycodone. The redness isn't too bad. I'll keep a close eye on it, though! I feel like I'm so worried about infection since I've heard so many nightmare stories!
 
Hi again,
It is completely normal to worry in the first few days after joint replacement. Many of us have experienced the same concerns. It's a major surgery and a lot is going on with your body as it begins healing.

Some swelling, warmth and discomfort are expected at this stage. What matters is watching for any signs that may mean something more like what I mentioned above. The majority of people recover well especially when they're attentive as you seem to be. Keep an eye on it and if it concerns you, you can always phone your surgeons office for some reassurance / peace of mind. They will often allow you to forward them a cell phone photo if there's something you'd like them to see. Wishing you a peaceful day!

Sit back and relax with some ice while elevating. It's going to be ok.:ok:
@BarabooProud
 
Please keep in mind as you read stories of people who had infections that they are a very small portion of the over 1 million knee replacements done every year in the US. You will see an unfair representation of those cases here on the forum because most people have their surgery, go through recovery and never even think about joining a site dealing with joint replacements. We are more likely to get the people who actually do end up with problems such as infection.

It is normal to be concerned about the possibility of an infection. But in the vast majority of cases where that does happen, you will have very clear symptoms. Heat and redness are not the main symptoms. Fever, chills, drainage, non healing of the wound are more obvious things that might indicate infection. Your toasty warm knee is just your body doing its healing thing and, unless you see some of these other symptoms, you should be just fine. Keep the ice, meds and elevation going in these early days and things will settle soon.
 
Day 6 today. Slept fairly well last night, other than waking up to take pain meds. But after eating some breakfast this morning, I'm super nauseous. Just want to lay with my eyes closed. So, that's what I'm going to do. Have PT later this morning, so hopefully that goes okay.
 
I am sorry you're feeling nauseous this morning. It can be a common side effect of Opioids especially. It is good you're taking the meds after eating to help protect your stomach. Make sure you're staying adequately hydrated too, if you're not already. If the nausea continues, consider calling your OS's office and they may be able to adjust meds, or prescribe an anti nausea medication. If you like tea, maybe have some Ginger or Peppermint Tea on hand which sometimes helps settle the stomach. Go easy in PT today and please let us know how the session goes for you.
Best Wishes!
@BarabooProud
 
Thank you. Felt much better after a nap. PT went well. I really like how gentle they are with me. They are not pushing me beyond what I'm comfortable with. My extension is at -3 and my flexion is at 94. They are quite pleased with my results being less than a week out. I do think my nausea had something to do with my meds. Maybe I shouldn't take so many different prescriptions at once and try to space them out a bit. My daughter is coming this afternoon to help for a couple of days. She finished the semester up at her university and is ready to help out her mom! Looking forward to seeing her!
 
Aww, how sweet of your daughter. I bet you'll have a nice time together. I'm gad you're feeling better!
It's good to hear you like your PT and that they're not pushing you. Easy does it!
Enjoy this special family time! :)
@BarabooProud
 
Are you taking any anti nausea meds? If you don’t have any, call your doctors office & ask for a script.

Marie
 
I did yesterday. Thanks for recommending that.

I'm 1 week in today. Starting week 2. This recovery is so hard. Even though things are going "well", it's still so difficult. People at work don't understand what this recovery is about. I had someone text me yesterday and tell me to enjoy my time off. What in the world?! Do they think this is a vacation?? I'm so exhausted, uncomfortable, and starting to get cranky. I just want to fast forward the month of May!!!
 
I had someone text me yesterday and tell me to enjoy my time off. What in the world?
It's so true. Most people have no idea what this surgery entails.

I remember one friend who made a similar type of comment. I sent her video link of the surgery so she could see all the cutting and hammering we endure!

We understand what you are experiencing because we've been through it. Don't hesitate to vent! We are here for you.
 
I had someone text me yesterday and tell me to enjoy my time off. What in the world?!
Hahaha...Yeah, you're living the dream! Ice packs, meds, a walker and discomfort.
Sounds like a lot to enjoy...NOT! :wink:
 
I think I just became a member of the Over Did It Club! My daughter has been home and yesterday I did not rest as much as I usually do. On my feet way too much. Well, last night I was in quite a bit of pain (to the point of tears) and today I am purely exhausted, nauseous, and still feel pain. I have been resting all morning, except to take a shower and brush my teeth. I have PT at 11 and then after that I'm coming home to rest the rest of the day. My daughter will be going back to Madison so I will have a quiet, restful afternoon. Hopefully, I have a better night tonight and day tomorrow.
 
I'm so sorry to read this, @BarabooProud. It's really easy to land on that ODIC bench during the early days of recovery. If you can, skip PT for a few days. You really don't need it at this very early stage -- in fact, it can do more harm than good to that recovering knee.

Take it easy this weekend. Lots of icing and elevation and be sure to stay on schedule with your pain meds.

Sending hugs :console2:
 
My PT is a gift from above! I told her about my knee being in such pain and she gently massaged it for about 10 minutes to get the fluid moving. It was very tight. She made sure to have me tell her to stop if it hurt. I won't skip PT if this is what happens! :) She said, like you, it's early and that she's not concerned about me doing a bunch of exercises if I'm in pain.
 
How great that you found a therapist who "gets it", @BarabooProud. Sounds like she's a real keeper!
 
Even though things are going "well", it's still so difficult. People at work don't understand what this recovery is about. I had someone text me yesterday and tell me to enjoy my time off.
You are so right. After a few weeks- I had people saying ' Are you not fully better yet?'. It really is annoying.
Unless you have had a joint replaced you don't realise that is a tough recovery that takes several months to a year to fully get over.
 
So sorry to read your day was off to a bumpy start. It's wonderful that you found a good PT to help ease the pain.
There are great ones out there, but sometimes you have to burn through a few. I hope you're feeling better and you're able to rest comfortably for the rest of the day. May tomorrow feel brighter! :SUNsmile:
@BarabooProud
 
Day 11 today. Went to PT and I'm quite disappointed with how my progress is coming along in terms of flexion. I was at 94 degrees the day after surgery and each time I've gone to PT, I've regressed. Today I was at 83 degrees. They gave me a compression sock to help with swelling and a couple of exercises to add to my list to help this. I know I shouldn't worry. I'm sure it's swelling, but I really have tried to take it easy the past few days. Am I still doing too much? Or am I needlessly worrying?

Let me add that I'm starting to feel so much better, otherwise. Pain has reduced tremendously, I slept great last night, I'm feeling like the fog is lifting, balance feels good. It's just that darn flexion that's holding me back!
 
Last edited:
I’m not agreeing with the idea that there are more exercises you should do that will help reduce swelling. I would caution you about adding to your activity and exercises when you are experiencing swelling.

What does a typical day look like to you in terms of exercise and activity? If you would, list each exercise with the number and reps you do in each session. And how many times a day? Then what household activities and errands would you do? Do you do these things every day or have a day of rest in between?

It is not uncommon to have swelling this soon after surgery as your body adjusts to your new knee. But you do want to avoid things that won’t help and may actually make things worse.
 
I'm quite disappointed with how my progress is coming along in terms of flexion.
You are very early days to be worrying about flexion. At less than two weeks post-op, your knee is still very swollen inside (even if you don't see it outside). You should still be spending most of your day icing and elevating to reduce that inflammation.

Trying to bend a swollen knee is like trying to bend a hose full of water -- it's not going to happen. Once the swelling goes down, your flexion will return naturally. Pushing now with more exercises will only add to the inflammation and delay your recovery. Please re-read these articles that were shared with you earlier:

Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

It might also give you some perspective it you go back and re-read your Recovery thread from your first TKR.

I know this recovery can be frustratingly slow. As my surgeon says: the most important muscle to exercise in TKR recovery is the Patience Muscle.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom