Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post-Op Struggles

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but both therapy pools I have access to are strictly therapy pools and are rigorously tested - and highly recommended by the local health professionals.
Just like with Doctors, clinics, and hospitals, you have to know the facility. If a Dr. is hesitant, that says a lot about the facilities available!!
 
If a Dr. is hesitant, that says a lot about the facilities available!!
The real issue, I believe, is that not every facility has the necessary therapy pool. I went to a facility that I dubbed the "Taj Mahal", and, while the equipment was state of the art and the PT folks were outstanding, the PT center did not, unfortunately, have a therapy pool.
 
@referee54 - So true! We have a couple great therapy businesses in town that don't have pools. The two that do: one has an outstanding reputation in sports medicine, sort of a regional center; the other is in the rehab wing of a large assisted living/senior living complex. Both have awesome staff; I go to the rehab wing as it is closer to my house and the PTs seem to be so kind and laid back. I've done rehab at the sports med place and they are also very good, but I wanted the laid back folks for this one!! :cool:
 
I did for most of my
PT Still do a independent program twice a week! Love it!


4/1/2014 TKR
 
I had the benefit of hydrotherapy day 3 post op. The pool is heated to 34' and the physio is in the water. I was able to do so much more but 30 mins was enough. In the UK this is widely used and although I had staples they were covered with a sealed dressing. In the water you achieve more bend and movement than normal with the gravity of water taking you that little but further! Walking in the water is a lovely feeling and does give you confidence. I'm 4 week post op after a bilateral TKR and now do a combination of hydrotherapy and land sessions. All is going well!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've been wondering about the pool....didnt know if it was ok. My wound is completely healed. My PT says it is best scar she has ever seen...you almost can't see it already. So I'm glad to hear you guys are doing pool work. I have a pool and spa in the complex where I am staying...think I will check it out!
 
I'm six-days post PKR. Been in the pool since 4 days post, my OS gave me a stack of these awesome waterproof bandages, they really do the trick! I was keen on the pool because a) it's summertime here in NY and b) I have one right in my backyard. In-home PT showed up on Day 3 ( I was home on Day 2 from hospital ), and when I mentioned the pool, she took it as a professional challenge to come up with the right exercises, etc for me. Day 4 she appears in my backyard, and we're immediately in the pool. She came up with a set of things I can do now, next week, and next month. I'll echo some statements from other posters: take it easy, the pool can make it seem like these are easy exercises, but they are not! I'm pretty pleased, ROM right now is 110 degrees +. I just have to keep telling myself not to overdo it...
 
Our pool is small, strictly therapeutic. It has the advantages of being clean, lots of dry towels, not busy-private you could say, ease of entry, and close proximity to home. One small disadvantage: the PT - actually a PT assistant - is on the passive side, doesn't offer too much, and so I have to self-direct. I was in the pool for 30 mins. yesterday, avoiding the submerged treadmill, and then on a bicycle in the rehab gym for 5-10 mins. I envy those who have a take-charge PT person. I plan pool therapy three times per week: M-W-F.
 
Made it to the pool today. I was a bit apprehensive but all for nothing. The pool was heated but not to what I would call warm. It's at the Y so I was there during open swimming which meant I had to be careful of the kids so that added a bit of caution also. I must admit it was the first time in less than hot water and the inside of my tibia definitely felt cooler - it may all be in my head but at least I didn't run screaming from the pool! I did all the basic standing & walking exercises I do on dry land, discovered I could do deeper knee bends using the side ladder & squatting somewhat, and found I couldn't kick at all! You really have to bend your leg to kick and my attempt was totally pathetic. So it worked out ok and I do plan to go back a couple of days a weeks. I just need to find a few more exercises to do so I can vary them - I get bored easily!
 
I bought a book "Total Knee Replacement & Rehabilitation" for $3.47 online a couple of months ago - before the May 19th surgery - and it depicts exercises one can do in the water. You may search online for some ideas. Good luck with the Y pool and do be careful of others around you. Brrr. I don't like cool water. I prefer hot or slightly less than hot.
 
I. Am doing a lot of swimming!:happydance: The freestyle, the breaststroke, and the backstroke!

My trainer has me swimming like "Nemo!" :rotfl:

I am loving it though! The pounds continue to fly off!
 
@Highpointer42

Have been Looking for a thread like this. I am on day 16 and my DR said I could go into pool. I gained a ton a weight after accident in 2012 so water is easier on the knee. I was thinking about walking too. Was the treadmill hard to do? What about treading water? Did you try other things? Did the foot issue heal ok???
 
@jerseygirl-in-ca

Until your doctor gives you a release, please don't swim or get in water. It needs to heal first. I swim a lot because of my broken foot, but I am still getting major health benefits out of it! I am doing endurance, as well as cardio swimming w my trainer and alternate upper body every other day! :happydance:

I have lost 172 pounds since I had my knee revision and I have 53 more to go! I will be "power walking" the Houston 1/2 marathon in January, and I am so excited!

Here are before and after pictures to help you see; anything is possible if you want it bad enough!:loveshwr:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Post-Op Struggles
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 219
  • [Bonesmart.org] Post-Op Struggles
    image.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 219
@RestAssured when I was there the 9th get dressing off and getting the top and bottom stitch snipped so the rest will just dissolve, he said in one week you can go to the gym and workout in the pool. I was just quesionin because everyone else seems to start much later

You look great and it seems like you are feeling much better. Congrats.
 
@RestAssured when I was there the 9th get dressing off and getting the top and bottom stitch snipped so the rest will just dissolve, he said in one week you can go to the gym and workout in the pool. I was just quesionin because everyone else seems to start much later

You look great and it seems like you are feeling much better. Congrats.
That's great then! Enjoy your time in the pool but remember, don't overdo it. You will feel it when you get up the next morning if you do too much. Slow and easy is back into it, and you will do great!:happydance:

By the way, I feel like a new person! I am now living the "best of my life!" Instead of the rest of my life!
 
For the first two weeks after surgery, until my 2-week follow-up with my OS, I could shower but had to keep the incision from even getting wet. At that 2-week follow-up I was given the OK to shower without having to keep water off of it but was told not to immerse my knee in water for another 4 weeks. It may have to do with how the incision is closed? In my case he used stitches under the skin and glue.
 
@ referee54 What is the timeframe most consider healed as far as incision???

Until your doctor gives you a release, please don't swim or get in water. It needs to heal first.
My Os wanted the incision completely healed---others are less concerned about that---it is interesting to read of OS's and their differing protocols.

I would always error, though, on the side of safety.
 
At that 2-week follow-up I was given the OK to shower without having to keep water off of it but was told not to immerse my knee in water for another 4 weeks.
I do not think that I could shower for two or three weeks post-op---and I had the same issues---I could shower but no baths or pools.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom