Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post op ROM

Three months, two weeks and one day post op. All I can say is, it’s stiff, stiff and stiff, along with being sore. I don’t even bother checking my ROM, I’m sure that would be depressing. I did walk down and back up the basement stairs. It actually wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. My knee was stiff, but manageable. I have not rode the exercise bike for two weeks now, but probably give it a try in a few days.
 
The stiffness will go away with time, I now find I'm hardly noticing it - it kinda eased off in the middle of my 5 month post op period, and occasionally I wake up feeling it is there but shortly after it goes, it seems to like movement.
My knee now only swells if I do too much it's hard to know what is considered too much it's still a bit of trial and error haha
I have no idea what my Rom is - as long as we are able to do more things than before we should be grateful.
You'll start seeing gradual changes from now on.
Stay safe xx
 
I’m getting ready to put my knee through a trial run, kneeling down on the floor, with very padded knee pads. It’s going to be very tricky since my ROM isn’t real great, I am guessing it is around 105 -115. I was hoping my knee would be much further along so I could more easily do things around the homestead.
 
Out of necessity ( I had toppled over in the bathroom ) a few months back I had to kneel to get myself back on my feet. I paid for it for several weeks after I mentioned it to my surgeon and he told me that kneeling before one is 100/ healed is not recommended even using several soft pillows.
So seriously think twice as you won't be doing yourself or your knee any favours xxx
 
Okay, thanks for the advice. I don’t want to cause myself anymore problems than I have to. I will have to get my grandsons to take over or hire it done until next year anyway.
 
I was taught a good way to substitute kneeling is by bending your non operated /good knee and pushing your operated knee stretched backwards ( hope this makes sense haha)
Its most annoying as I'm constantly dropping things usually under the bed ...also we are so used to having been able to kneel in the past (albeit in being painful) it was doable occasionally I forget but quickly am reminded :yikes: lol x
 
I know you guys keep saying my ROM will return in time, but my bend is really very depressing. This knee just does not seem to want to bend, and it worries me so. I guess my PTSD is raring its ugly head again. I’m so afraid of a MUA, I don’t want that. ☹
 
I’m so afraid of a MUA, I don’t want that.
My friend you do not need to be afraid of anything. You are in charge and no one can demand you have MUA. If anyone pressure you just suggest you end the conversation and walk away.

Your knee does not need MUA - it just needs time. Patience prescribed!
 
I’m so afraid of a MUA, I don’t want that.
My friend you do not need to be afraid of anything. You are in charge and no one can demand you have MUA. If anyone pressure you just suggest you end the conversation and walk away.

Your knee does not need MUA - it just needs time. Patience prescribed!
I sure hope so. I really miss being normal. I know that sounds selfish, with most people on here are in the same boat, I just don’t want “normal” being a distant memory, or an illusion.
 
Everyone is correct - time. I know that its hard to believe, but its true. You still have a new baby knee, it takes time for it to grow up!! All kidding aside, and trust me I've been in your shoes - we somehow go into this surgery with a "broken" knee and once we've had surgery we think its "fixed." And it is fixed, but it has to heal. And we all heal differently. And trust me none us of heals as fast as we'd like.

Its irritating when people ask why aren't you healed? Personally I don't think they mean anything by the comment, but to those of us healing its hurtful. Either just say nothing and walk away or say something like "its healing on its own time." (FYI with my last revision the surgeon said 18 to 24 months of healing. When he said it I first laughed then cried. He then said he was being honest with me so I'd be prepared for a long process.) I certainly appreciate that now. I'm 5 months post and boy do I have a long way to go. But I've come a long way. Try to not focus totally on the knee and see how that does for you.
 
Thank you, your replies are very reassuring. Self doubt and negativity is a very strong force to deal with, for all of us I’m sure. Some are stronger than others, unfortunately I am leaning towards being somewhat weak in being able to deal with this surgery, but with the help from you good people, and rebuilding my confidence, this journey is doable.
 
I really miss being normal. I know that sounds selfish, with most people on here are in the same boat, I just don’t want “normal” being a distant memory, or an illusion.
You will get back to normal. It just takes time and you're expecting too much of your inee and yourself, too soon.

This is a year-long recovery and you're only just over a quarter of the way through that. Where you are now is not where you're going to end up. You have plenty of time for everything to improve.

But this recovery is a marathon, not a sprint. You have to pace yourself and your expectations.
 
Well I thought I would jump on the tractor and get some work done since it is so nice out. My tractor has a hydrostatic transmission, a foot pedal in front on the floorboard to go forward, and another pedal on the back of the floorboard back towards my seat to go backwards. I got out in the field just dandy, until, I had to go in reverse, and guess what, this crummy knee won't bend back far enough to push down on the reverse pedal!! I had NO idea that after 3 1/2 months, I would still almost an invalid. Very disappointing to say the least.
 
I had NO idea that after 3 1/2 months, I would still almost an invalid. Very disappointing to say the least.
Like many of us, you are expecting too much from your knee, too soon. 3 1/2 months is only 25% healed. I would think the pedal on that tractor takes more strength than the brake in your car. You’ll get there, but you need more time.
 
I had the same problem on my lawn tractor after my tkr. I found that I could slide my seat back and then go in reverse as I needed to go. I could then move the seat back up to my comfortable cutting area.
 
I had the same problem on my lawn tractor after my tkr. I found that I could slide my seat back and then go in reverse as I needed to go. I could then move the seat back up to my comfortable cutting area.
Good tip, I will give it a try tomorrow! Ty
 
I hope it works for you. It's a pain in the neck to have to keep changing the seat position, but we do what we have to do during this recovery!
 
I have given my knee a rest now for about a month. It appears that I have lost ROM, not gained. This is very concerning to me.
 
Are you having increased swelling? If so, that would explain your worsening ROM numbers. Are you elevating and icing while resting? You still should be if you're having pain and swelling.
 
Back
Top Bottom