Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post op ROM

@TimeBuster Thank you for your reply! That sounds like a really good plan. I will let my knee rest the rest of this week, then the week after, I will do my exercise bike plus some light stretch exercises. What kind of exercises/equipment do you do at the YMCA?

I do 10 minutes on the treadmill, 15 minutes on a recumbent bike Increasing the intensity the last five minutes then 10 minutes on the rowing machine. I also do a Senior aquatic fitness class with Kickboards provides a safe, effective environment to positively impact movement, strength, and function. The warm water supports your weight, reducing the pain and stress placed on your new knee.

Since I'm not a beach person and I haven't used a pool in 30 years LOL I had to buy a new pair of swim trunks. At first, I was a little bit uncomfortable coming out of the locker room LOL but then I realized where all up in age and beauty is in the eye of the beholder LOL

It's been a blast have met some wonderful people at the YMCA that are my age and we all have compassion and support each other.

I do all these activities every Friday and then rest until I go back the following week. The down days that I don't exercise I just do daily life routines and that works for me.
 
@markbet please take note that TimeBuster is much further along in his recovery and is now able to handle those activities. You can look forward to that, but you have more healing to do before you should try any of those things.
 
@Jockette I have been looking for an excuse to buy a hot tub, is something like a hot tub recommended? Of course, I am not completely convinced I could even get in one, let alone get out.
 
I think a hot tub is another thing to wait on, as the time in the warm water could encourage more swelling.

Maybe some other members could give opinions on use in the future, as I don’t have one, so I don’t know much about them. I think we have had members who couldn’t wait to get back into theirs.

If you want, we could change the title of your thread so that it asks about hot tubs, so your question will be more noticeable.
 
I have a hot tub , and I look forward to using it..I see my surgeon Monday, 8 week post op visit...He said he will let me know then if I am cleared...one must be 100% certain incision is closed, you don’t want an infection
 
If you want, we could change the title of your thread so that it asks about hot tubs, so your question will be more noticeable.

Makes no difference to me on the title. Whatever you think is best.
 
Ok, we’ll leave the title as it is for now. We can change it for you, whenever you want, to whatever you want.
 
I had two homes that had hot tubs through the years. They were a lot of fun for about a month, then the novelty wore off and we used it less frequently. Even if you don't use it, you still have to test and treat the water daily. I found it to be a hassle. If it's something you plan on using it a lot, then it would be worth it. If not, then personally, I don't think they are worth it. Plus, it takes an awfully lot of water to fill it up. If you don't have to worry about a water bill or drought times, then that shouldn't be a problem.
 
Here is the deal with our hot tub. I love it, well loved it. Pre multiple knee surgeries. I was so excited to be able to get back in it after the surgeon had cleared me. I think I took 3 or 4 more weeks before I was brave enough to try it. Surgeons comment was something like: you back / neck will love it. Your new knee won't love it. Its important to not let the water be over 92. Once you get out you MUST elevate and ice.

Frankly I thought he was making things up!!! I made certain the temp was 92 and bravely attempted to get in. Let's just say I didn't win any awards for being graceful. It did feel good, but I could literally feel the knee becoming unhappy. As for the hot tub exit, I thought I'd need to call the fire station and use the jaws of life to get me out! Then hubby & I got the giggles and that made it so much worse! Finally I was out, phew. I did ice/elevate afterwards - which seemed to be counter productive of the hot tub. I've been in it two more times - I'm going to wait until further on in my recuperation.

I don't know what type of hot tub your looking to get, but I've never checked the water chemicals. I have it emptied once a year - per the manufactures recommendations. I add shock & water softer every two weeks - and that's it. Easy peasy.
 
Humm, well after reading the last two stories on hot tubs, I think maybe I will do a little more pondering of the idea. This being my one and only surgery, I never know quite what to expect, seems like it has its own bag of little tricks, never know what its got under its sleeve!
 
Last edited:
Don’t be scared off! We have 2!! One attached to our pool, and another stand alone that is always ready for use...not much work involved..only need to test water weekly, and add some chemicals on usage. They both get a lot of use, though pool spa is more ”social” and temp is mid90’s, and standalone Jacuzzi type is therapeutic, and set at 101
 
Ah yes. I lay-off PT and exercises for a couple of weeks, and now I’m being tormented by the infamous “tight band” around the top of my knee. I really have to say, that this is such a delightful surgery!! Who invented this surgery, Attila the Hun, or Jack the Ripper? Love it. Sarcasm off.
 
Something new and unpleasant going on. The leg I had my TKR on, I’ve started to have muscle cramps in the calf and foot. Anyone ever experience this? Is this a lack of exercise? When exercising every day, I never had muscle cramps.
 
I suspect it's being caused by an unusual gait. Have a close look at how you are walking.

Quite a few of us have suffered from Shin splints, although these are on the front of the leg
 
I suspect it's being caused by an unusual gait. Have a close look at how you are walking.

Quite a few of us have suffered from Shin splints, although these are on the front of the leg
My walk is nothing to be desired for sure. I have to consciously walk straight, otherwise I subconsciously walk with a limp. This has been difficult for me to do. Probably being 5 degrees off from being straight doesn’t help matters either. Hopefully my extension and bend hurry along.
 
Try and eat at least 1 banana per day I started doing this early on in my recovery and it helped enormously with my leg cramps as Tykey says also check the way you are walking we all spent years limping prior and had bad habits so we have to relearn to walk tall with a heel to toe movement x
 
@Sara61 Eat myself well. Now that is something I can easily do! Going to the store soon to get some bananas. These muscle cramps are very painful.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My brother, a doctor b\ut not an OS, told me that at the beginning, your body/knee treats the surgery like a car crashed into your house. The first round of repairs is crude and quick: plywood, tidying up, etc. Then, the knee, like your contractor for your house, takes its time to remodel and repair to the knee's original status. So, just keep moving gently to increase circulation, etc. and it will all work out. Try not to worry!
 
My brother, a doctor b\ut not an OS, told me that at the beginning, your body/knee treats the surgery like a car crashed into your house. The first round of repairs is crude and quick: plywood, tidying up, etc. Then, the knee, like your contractor for your house, takes its time to remodel and repair to the knee's original status. So, just keep moving gently to increase circulation, etc. and it will all work out. Try not to worry!
That is a great way to explain this surgery!! Thank you!
 
Back
Top Bottom