TKR Post op blues

Midwestgal

Country
United States United States
Hi. This is my first post. I had my TKAJan 11th and have the post op blues. I have been doing my PT at home 3 times a day and go to out pt P T 3 times a week.
My ROM has improved to 92 but this is a slow process....I had no idea it would be this tough. I am blessed to have friends and family nearby to have over for lunch and do puzzles.....but enough is enough. I'm tired of taking tramadol but I want to get my ROM back to normal. THANKS FOR LISTENING!

@Midwestgal I’m sorry you’re going through the post op blues. I had them bad after my PKR so I really sympathize with where you’re at. I’m glad you came to BoneSmart. We’ve been through it too and we understand. Just remember, you’re not alone. It’s gonna be ok and this too shall pass. Sending you good vibes :console2:

I have been doing my PT at home 3 times a day and go to out pt P T 3 times a week.
My ROM has improved to 92 but this is a slow process
Yes, this recovery is a slow process. But we do get there and are very happy with the results!

You really don’t need to do the PT 3 times a day. Once a day is fine, and not all at once is even better. Just do the gentle easy exercises so your knee can rest in between going out to PT 3 times a week, which is a lot. Remember, you are healing from major surgery, not training for an event, and this healing takes an average of a full year, for complete healing.

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises.
Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

We’ve been through it too and we understand. Just remember, you’re not alone. It’s gonna be ok and this too shall pass.
Agree with @JusticeRider I seem to remember I was pretty low at your stage.
I think feeling blue is particularly common at around 6-9 weeks. In the first few weeks you are just busy dealing with the pain and everyone is pretty sympathetic and helpful. Later on you start to get stupid comments expressing surprise you aren't fully recovered and jumping around again. This makes you doubt your recovery and feel fed up. Also weeks of poor sleep can definitely contribute to low mood. I found reading posts from people further along in the recovery journey helped me to stay positive but also be realistic.

We had our tkr on the same day.
I've had a few "meltdowns" even though this is my second tkr. I knew what to expect.
This is a long recovery with lots of pain in those first weeks. And no one tells you what to expect in recovery.
Joining Bonesmart is the best thing you could can do to help you in recovery. Read everything the staff sends you. And ask any questions. Someone will always help you.
Hang in there! It gets better!:flwrysmile:

Thank you all for your comments. I will try to slow down and power thru this time in my life. Being a single Mom for most of my life, I do for others and not so much for myself.

Being a single Mom for most of my life, I do for others and not so much for myself.
This is now your 'me' time. Those you have done for need to do for you now. Also, it's time for you to accept their help. It's so hard for mothers to stop mothering, but please do so now. Your health and healing should be your #1 job for the next few months.

I wasn't a single mom, but still put the kids and hubs and others before myself. It IS hard to concentrate on yourself. But, its so necessary for you to do that now.
You need to pamper yourself and that infant knee. Your ROM will improve by doing that.:console2:

Sorry you're feeling blue, Midwestgal. Sending a hug your way. :console2:

Many of us experienced post op blues at some point during the healing process. Recovery gets old and patience feels in short supply, but you already have one month under your belt. A belated Happy One Month Anniversary!

You will feel stronger and steadier on your feet with each passing month and I'm betting you'll have a wonderful Spring and Summer! :SUNsmile: Stay in touch, we're here for you.
@Midwestgal

@Midwestgal
If you don't mind sharing, what are your symptoms now? Aside from post op blues. Asking since we had the same surgery date.
For me, swelling painis biggest issue for me now. I will take hydrocodone in am and pm. So, still on narcotic pain meds. And wanting to get back to my life is wearing on me. I need medication to help me get some sleep, too.
I'm not comparing because no two recoveries are the same. My new knee will recover her way.
But, it would be nice to hear about yours:)

Hi. Yes I have swelling and stiffness in my knee.I take acetaminophen 500 MG 3 times a day and Tramadol 50mg during the day and sometimes at night. Hydrocodone made me so dizzy and sleepy...I stopped that on day 4. I was afraid I would fall. I find sitting upright is a huge challenge and creates stiffness in my knee. Sleep is TOUGH. I try elevating my leg with a pillow and then I roll around and wake up on my side in pain. How about you?

Hi @Midwestgal. You might try increasing your Tylenol dosage to better manage your pain and help you sleep.

BoneSmart recommends 1000 mg (2 extra strength tablets) every six hours (4 times a day) -- as long as none of your other medications contain acetaminophen. It's important not to exceed 4000 mgs/day.

Also, remember that it's important to stay ahead of the pain by taking them on a regular schedule. As a reminder, here is a link to the pain management chart .

Also, be sure to keep icing and elevating often during the day. As we start to get more active, they become even more important in pain control.

Sending hugs :console2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm taking hydrocodone 1x during the day most days. There are times I haven't needed it. But, I take it every night. It doesn't make me drowsy, but it does relieve the pain. I normally fall asleep for a few hrs. When I wake up and can't fall back then I'll take a trazadone and it USUALLY gets me a few more hours. But, not always.
If I fall asleep on my back, leg elevated on Lounge Doc, I wake up on my side. The pain from side sleeping wakes me.
Yeah, kind of feeling like I'm in Limbo now. LOL
But, I know this will soon pass. According to my first tkr thread here on Bonesmart, I was turning a corner at 7 weeks.:shrug:Hope that happens this time.

How are you doing Midwestgal?
I hope the past three weeks have brought progress and you're working your way back to normal.
Hopefully the stiffness has eased and your sleep has improved. Please let us know how you're doing as time allows. We'd love to hear from you. Happy Two Month Anniversary! :SUNsmile:
@Midwestgal

Hi..I am doing well..made it thru the post op blues...recently stopped taking the medication Gabapentin and I feel like I have restless leg syndrome..Is that normal. I will address this with my orthopedic tomorrow.

Hi..I am doing well..made it thru the post op blues...recently stopped taking the medication Gabapentin and I feel like I have restless leg syndrome..Is that normal. I will address this with my orthopedic tomorrow.
Hi…my LTKR was Jan 12. I’ve dealt with pain, swelling and stiffness pretty much from day 1. For the past few weeks I have been suffering from RLS. My OS prescribed Flexeril which I take at night and it has helped a fair amount. Gabapentin did not do much if anything and I now take a Tramadol each evening as needed. Sleeplessness has been the worst issue from the beginning. The mental side of this has truly been tough! I long for the day when everything is back to normal. But we are only 2 months into a 6-12 month recovery. It HAS to get better!!

Hi Midwestgal,
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you had a good visit with your surgeon last month and you‘ve obtained some relief from the restless legs.
Wishing you a good week! :SUNsmile:
@Midwestgal

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom