TKR Post op 1.5 weeks

My energy is slowly seeping back but does not last long, LOL! My dogs love the company!!
I’m a day behind you and today I took a 2 hour nap. I love bed! I too have a dog - 4 1/2 year old black lab - and he’s great company. He wasn’t crazy about the walker, but quickly got used to it - luckily I didn’t need it that long.

I told my husband just today that I am still amazed at how doing “some regular stuff” still makes me so tired, but then I also said “oh yeah because I had major surgery 3 1/2 weeks ago” As I start to feel better and want to do all the things and push a bit - my body reminds me - learning to listen is its own skill!
 
Ziggy100, I am now taking my own advice. Still hard when the proverbial energizer bunny can’t do stuff with exhaustion. However, am listening. Have learned things with this surgery I was never aware of. Thanks to this blog I know these things are normal. Have a patient husband who is caring for me as I have never let him. Calls me his SAN, stubborn-butt nurse. But am doing better week by week, just slowly.
 
except they had added a leg press 50 pounds-
At less than 2 weeks post-op? This is insane. Bones take 10-12 weeks to heal around the implant and putting that much stress (weights) on un-healed bones is a recipe for trouble.

I agree with jockette that you need to fire this physical therapist because he/she doesn't understand the mechanics of a knee replacement

What is the difference between a 50 pound leg press and a bodyweight leg press like when walking up stairs leading with the operative knee?
Should not be considering this at post two weeks either. You need to allow time for your bones to bond with the implant.
 
Hello! Retired paramedic here. Classic type A personality too! I was surprisingly patient with my TKR The end of January. My problem now is I use it like I stole it! Wears me the heck out! Minimal pain, but still my stamina is severely lacking. I bring a lawn chair when I work on a project or spend time with my chickens. Over the last week I was demolishing a lower deck on my house. Took me twice as long as it would have 3 yrs ago, but it is nearly completed now. Frustrated? Sure….. understanding? Naw, I’m hard on myself. You can do this! Keep your eye on the prize! God Bless!
 
I am now taking my own advice
Good! You're a quick learner even if hubs thinks thinks you're stubborn. He sounds like a loving caregiver, you're blessed, even though it may not feel like it right now, it is still very early days in your healing journey. With lots of patience, slowly but surely you'll get there. Best Wishes! :SUNsmile:
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
All the best as you continue healing. :flwrysmile:
@Aydabunch
 
Thank you Layla! (I have a granddaughter, Laila). Great name. I am doing better. Still finding things that set me back a bit, but was able to make the recommit bike go full circle backwards last Friday and today after preliminary rocking of course. Able to tolerate being in car longer and being up longer. It’s definitely been an experience.
 
Small victories!!! :happydance:

Took me until post op day 63 to do a small slow revolution on a recumbent bike.
 
For anyone struggling with PT, takes time. I finally was able to do bike backwards a week and a half ago. Then last Wednesday able to go forward. Needs a little warm up but quicker each session. Will be 6 weeks post L. TKA on Wed. See slow improvements weekly. Am still struggling with my ideas of what should be doing and what body is doing but am doing better. Just slow. Using cane to ensure no limp. Don’t want hip or back issues.
 
Yep. Exercising the patience muscle!
 
Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. At least in my case I know I am. I think I should be able to do that - nope I can't and then I'm upset. That is all part of a TKR I believe, its the part you don't hear about until your going through it yourself! Slowly you learn your limits, your knees limits and then healing and life get somewhat easier.

Resting during the day is just that, resting. Or napping, if you need it. That's your body healing and telling you to stop and let it do its thing. There is nothing wrong with doing both several times a day. I always felt guilty when resting so I made sure to 'do something' when I was up. Mind you it was always something small - a new kleenex box, get a can of dog food out for later, start a grocery list, etc. Just something and then I didn't feel guilty because I needed to rest. I realize its all a mind game, but that worked for me.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well and enjoyed a nice 4th. Wishing you a great rest of the week! :)
@Aydabunch
 
Yes, I am 9 weeks tomorrow and feeling so much more normal. I have noticed that my knee tends to swell up when I do too much housework so I’m slowing myself down a little bit, but not a lot. Stairs have become much easier and I’m working on starting to kneel on soft surfaces really appreciate your organization blog and have recommended it to others.
 
Thanks for the update, glad you’re doing well, Aydabunch!
Your kind sentiment in relation to the forum is appreciated along with your recommendation to others. Much gratitude!
@Aydabunch
 
Sounds like you are progressing well!
I have noticed that my knee tends to swell up when I do too much housework so I’m slowing myself down a little bit, but not a lot.
When this happens, ice and elevation are your best friends!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you continue to do well, making steady progress and enjoying Summer 2024.
Have a wonderful day and weekend!
@Aydabunch
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom