THR Post Anterior hip replacement<

I'm just trying to find out if this is normal for only 1 week after the surgery or am I pushing too hard?
I'm glad you've listened to the others but I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Am i being sent to the principals office ???
No you are not going to the principals office (or head master as we call them here). Josephine just needs a bit more details on your activity levels, etc. She'l be along soon with some questions.
 
Yes I agree it is hard to shut off the active mode. I also am self employed but I knew i wouldnt .be back to work for at leastt 6 weeks or more mine is more phhsical work.
. But like myself on my 2nd week postop I have been doing pt which he isnt killing me. But other day went to store short trip but I did pt then I contiued to do my walking around house and outside. Well next day I paid the priceI had to ice and lay down take some more pain meds of course not much sleep.
So you go ahead and then fall back again so now do a little every hour. Same with my cane i use it and when I feel tired go back to the walker .Every day is a new venture. Yes when sitting on harder chair getting the bone pain hope it goes away.
So do take it slow it all falls into place.
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine) My pain level this whole time after surgery has been 1 to 2 . The only pain i have had was when my leg was swollen, tight and the muscles were pretty sore . Even at the highest pain level , it wasnt more than a 3 .

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often? I was prescribed oxycodone/acetaminophen 10/325 (percocet generic) . It says to take 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours as needed. I dont really need them but i have been taking them anyway based on your advice and my surgeons. I tried 2 pills but it was too much so ive only taken one pill about every 5-6 hours and take 4 per day.

3. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long? I have been icing my leg constantly since getting home from the hospital . Even when its not too sore , whenever im in my recliner ( about 16 hours a day) i will put a bag of ice on my leg and every 20 mins or so i will move it up and down the front of my leg for the sore muscles . This has really helped . Since i stopped 90% of my activity and iced it , there is no swelling that i can tell and its not tight anymore . I wanted to ask you should i keep icing now that its not swollen, tight or sore ? Can someone over- ice ?

4. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long? Everytime im sitting in my recliner i have a pillow under my legs. Sometimes though when i elevate my leg, i get a cramp in my upper thigh/groin areaso i wait till its gone then elevate it . I have done this every day since ive been home

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
Well when i first got home from the hospital i was walking quite a bit and went to Macy's with my wife and while she was shopping i was doing laps around the womens section . This was frowned upon by urself and most of the members so i pretty much stopped and just walk around the house now . I thought i was suppose to walk as much as could be tolerated to keep evrything going well. I overdid it the first week since i felt so good and was getting real swollen and sore so i stopped pretty much everything and am letting it heal now . My wife is doing all the household chores until im back to normal duty . I tried a couple nights ago to go to the grocery store with my wife since she was only getting a couple things and i was extremely bored but after about 5-10 mins my wife said i was very pale and i felt kind of bad so i just went out and sat in the car . I am back to recliner rest and just walking in the house when i need something. .


6. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day - No set amount , whenever im sitting i just randomly do these exercises.
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
-Ankle pumps : About 100/day
-Quad sets : About 100/day
-Gluteal sets : About 50/day
-Heel slides : About 50/day
-Standing/lying abduction : About 25/day

I dont keep track of sets because i just do them when im sitting . All of these are so easy to do i dont do specific set amounts .



Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.- Per your advice i called my surgeon and asked about pt and he said not to do any until i see him at the two week appt .
 
1 to 2. Even at the highest pain level , it wasn't more than a 3.
I see. This is remarkable at less than two weeks. Is this just the pain in your hip or elsewhere? And did you also factor the other types of pain which include soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness.
oxycodone/acetaminophen 10/325 - take 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours as needed. I don't really need them but I have been taking them anyway based on your advice and my surgeons. I tried 2 pills but it was too much so I've only taken one pill about every 5-6 hours and take 4 per day.
If your pain levels are so low, why do you need to take oxycodone at all. Have you tried just taking 1,000mg Tylenol 3-4 times a day instead?
I have been icing my leg constantly since getting home from the hospital. Even when it's not too sore whenever I'm in my recliner (about 16 hours a day) I will put a bag of ice on my leg and every 20 mins or so I will move it up and down the front of my leg for the sore muscles. This has really helped. Since I stopped 90% of my activity and iced it, there is no swelling that I can tell and it's not tight any more. I wanted to ask you should I keep icing now that its not swollen, tight or sore? Can someone over-ice?
Provided you are not using the ice packs without a towel under it, not really. But if you are applying then directly to your skin, definitely!
Every time I'm sitting in my recliner I have a pillow under my legs. Sometimes though when I elevate my leg, I get a cramp in my upper thigh/groin area so I wait till it's gone then elevate it. I have done this every day since I've been home
Very wise
When I first got home from the hospital I was walking quite a bit and went to Macy's with my wife and while she was shopping. I was doing laps around the women's section. This was frowned upon by yourself and most of the members so I pretty much stopped and just walk around the house now. I thought I was suppose to walk as much as could be tolerated to keep everything going well. I overdid it the first week since I felt so good and was getting real swollen and sore so I stopped pretty much everything and am letting it heal now. My wife is doing all the household chores until I'm back to normal duty. I tried a couple nights ago to go to the grocery store with my wife since she was only getting a couple things and I was extremely bored but after about 5-10 mins my wife said I was very pale and I felt kind of bad so I just went out and sat in the car. I am back to recliner rest and just walking in the house when I need something.
Did you read this in the articles left for you earlier? I think you will see that going to Macy's is not advised in the first week! Activity progression for THRs
No set amount. Whenever I am sitting I just randomly do these exercises.


- Quad sets : About 100 day 100 a day? That's far too many!
- Gluteal sets : About 50 day - same again.
- Heel slides : About 50 day - apart from these are a knee exercise, not a hip one, it's also far too many
- Standing/lying abduction : About 25 day - bad exercise and far too many!
Per your advice I called my surgeon and asked about pt and he said not to do any until I see him at the two week appt.
Did you read this earlier? Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
It appears that you've never told us the date of your surgery.
Without that I am unable to answer your questions helpfully.
 
Hi @cssgregg1 - I had my hip replacement 10 weeks ago. Do listen to this crew. When I got anxious and thought I might be losing something by not doing pt I remembered that I might not have even had the surgery until the fall due to insane wait times - so what would I be losing to wait 12 weeks for my soft muscle tissue to heal? All I do is walk and if I feel any resistance from my muscles the next day I take it easier.

I feel FANTASTIC! We are so lucky to have this surgery so be a tortoise or a sloth. Those energizer bunnies live short frantic lives.
 
Do listen to this crew.
Aye-aye cap'n!

[Bonesmart.org] Post Anterior hip replacement<
 
You are doing so well!

I am jealous. Staying in bed, pillow under legs. Pain getting in and out. Moving with walker, putting lots of weight on my hands. Seeing improvement daily. But not. Yet where you are at.
 
Josephine , my first follow up appt is 6/23/17 . When i say my pain level is only up to 3 its because i was expecting to feel the pain i felt when i broke bones . I had been waiting for that feeling since the operation and it never came . I do get muscle pain and soreness so the oxycodone does keep all that pain at bay . I will be talking to my surgeon this Friday to make sure its ok to wean myself off of these pain pills . I was taking them as prescribed because everybody said to do that so i wouldnt have any pain and would be able to do the exercises . Im at almost 2 weeks post op and i can walk with the walker without a limp but if i try to take a step without it i limp when i put all my weight on it . Im assuming that is normal for only 2 weeks or it could be in my head since that was always how i walked/limped with my old hip . Maybe im just expecting that pain when my weight is put on it ??
 
I had the ATHR 6/7/17 and have been using the walker . I feel next to no pain and am wondering when is it ok to switch to a cane from a walker ? Should i wait until my first post op appt or at 11 days out should it be ok to start on a cane . I tried it around the house and i can walk fine on it except for a little bit of a limp which im assuming is normal . I dont want to over-do it so i thought i would ask you when you knew it was ok to switch to a cane .
 
You may want to check with Dr. I am not sure it was right but, I strtrd about the same time. Like strted around house , short walk down the street, 10 or 15 min.The PT on his second visit seemed okay with it. Especially since I was doing the exercises that I had been shown.
The cane took more energy out of me when I started going out with it, so I kept the walker in the car.
I had a posterior RTHR. I am in of end of week 6.
All I can say is I could read my body before surgery and that had remained true during post surgery.

The best advice ever given was before you feel tired stop and rest, elevate and ice if needed.
I have found the days are not always the same.
Best Wishes


Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
@cssgregg1, you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if necessary
 
Hi @cssgregg1, after my anterior THR, my doc (who's done anterior exclusively since 2003) gave me only two restrictions - 1) don't do anything that will push the head of implant forward (dislocation risk) like reach way back with the affected foot, and 2) don't fall, no matter what. To that end, he requires patients to use some kind of walker for the first month, to eliminate the risk of a fall (which a cane does not). I switched to a 3-wheeled "rollator" midway through the second week - it's narrower, less cumbersome, even has a basket and tray. While still stable, its much easier to use and allows you to walk at a normal pace. I finally switched to using a cane, four weeks out from surgery.

Be patient - we're in this for the long haul. Lots of opportunities to practice - patience, that is...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
 
Great to hear your recovery is going so well! I had both hips replaced 2016, 6 weeks apart and I too was surprised by the lack of "bone pain" and more muscle pain with my first Op. I was on endone and something else strong , but then with my second op for some reason the physician only prescribed me panadol (same as Tylenol) and I was in agony and could feel what I can describe as the trauma or bone pain as soon as my spinal tap wore off. So I definitely think we underestimate the power of strong meds!
I listened to my body with the PT and didn't do a lot. As everyone else is saying rest and ice to start, and listen to your body. Glad you have a son to help you at work, I had to take unpaid leave as I only worked casually at the time so I understand the dilemma. I had saved as much as I could and it did just get me back to when I returned to work. Rest now and you will be more likely to be able to return to work sooner, pushing it you will likely create more pain and issues that weren't there before. Those poor muscles need so time to heal! Wishing you a continuation in positive recovery!
 
Back
Top Bottom