TKR Possible 2nd MUA and possible referral needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Not sure if anyone remembers me??

(((Jill))), I'm so sorry you are having such an awful time of it. As you search out surgeon opinions, are you checking for OSs that specialize in complicated cases?

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
 
Re: Not sure if anyone remembers me??

Jill,
I am so sorry for what you have gone through. I have dealt with chronic pain issues with my jaw. Chronic pain is so hard for people to understand who haven't been through it. Don't give up...there are so many doctors who have different approaches and philosophies that can help you find relief. I am amazed at how you have been able to adapt in this past year. It would be easy to give up, but it sounds like you are living your life despite your pain. Come here to vent anytime...there are many others here dealing with pain issues.
Take care,
Greda
 
Re: Not sure if anyone remembers me??

Jill - we never met, but I wanted to tell you that I never once thought you were having a pity party and I'm glad that you have somewhere to vent. I pray that you can find an expert that can offer some optimistic news for you.
 
Re: Not sure if anyone remembers me??

Jill, welcome back to BoneSmart! I agree that your post didn't come across in a negative way. In fact, I thought you presented some rather serious issues in a positive and hopeful way. You definitely are determined to keep searching for answers and solutions and that is what you should be doing. Always, always keep faith that things can be better one day. Doctors change, knowledge changes and technology improves. So there always is hope.

In the meantime, you are doing a great job of finding your place in your current world. I'm glad to hear you are back at work. Now if we could just get the real estate market to cooperate!!! :th_heehee:

Your posts are inspiring to people .... and it's great to have stories like yours here on BoneSmart. I hope you do get to stay with us for a while. I like hearing from you.
 
Re: Not sure if anyone remembers me??

Jill!

Welcome back! No, your post didn't sound like a "pity party!" You have dealt with a lot my friend and you want answers! I am walking around on a leg that is 15 months out now, and no one can tell me why the darned tibia and fibula like to shift and then "down" I go!:skeptical: I am seeing another doctor next Wednesday and I hope he has answers. I have already been told by two OS's and one specialist that it isnot loose, so what the heck is wrong with it?

Mom thinks I am overdoing it on the exercising! LOL, to hear her say that when I was a couch potato before surgery really cracks me up!:biggrin:

You and I are both on a long road but we will both do well! I am still in PT and chugging away, I still have to use handicapped spaces, to shorten the distance in case I fall, and I am still having some pain when it pops out. I, like you though, choose to remain positive, and know that there is an answer out there somewhere!:biggrin:

Jill, I will be praying for you and I hope that you get the answers that you are seeking very soon!:friends:
 
Re: Not sure if anyone remembers me??

Jill,

At one time you and I were on parallel paths. But I got lucky! Your story reminds me of just how lucky I am. I was reminded of why I rode in the back seat with my legs up for a full three months. But now I have decent bend, and can straighten fully.

Pardon my french, but your outcome just rots, doesn't it. I am amazed that you haven't been on here in prior months enjoying a well-earned pity party . . . amazed that you are working despite these limitations.

I had total nerve loss in a finger from a cut, which is 90% restored after many years. Also, a friend who had TKR 15 years ago said her knee continued to improve "for years." But who knows, between time and a more insightful doc, maybe . . .

Glad you checked in. Almost like a high school reunion for me.
 
Re: Not sure if anyone remembers me??

Hi Jill - not a lot I can say. Some people just get the sharp end of the stick. I so sorry it had to be you.
 
Re: Not sure if anyone remembers me??

Jill I do remember you. I too just celebrated (not ) my one year. If you read my post you will see that i am one year out still with problems and just had bone scan . I am now trying to decide what to do with my not good news. i am so very sorry things are still going badly for you. And no you did not sound like a pity party to me. You actually sounded alot better than I would have with everything you are dealing with. I pray things will get better for you soon. Take it one day at a time. I will keep a check on here for your progress. Please take care. Hugs
 
Re: Not sure if anyone remembers me??

Hi Jill, I completely understand what you are going through fellow nerve damage friend. You captured so many of my thoughts in your post that I could have written it. I have peroneal and sciatic nerve damage from my hip replacement last December which affects my foot and lower leg. Like you, I have seen a little improvement in that I can now move my toes, a little. My foot turns in unnatural directions when I walk since I have no muscle control to make it go straight. You should see some of the stares I get! I wonder what it's doing to this, my good ankle....not to mention the other ankle that is bone on bone.

I just wanted to let you know I completely understand the frustration you are going through AND the pain. Hang in there, with time, I think we will both get at least a little better. :thumb:
 
Re: Not sure if anyone remembers me??

Jill, I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I can't relate to the knee issues, since my recovery is going so well. I do, however, relate because of chronic, debilitating chest pain following a heart attack. This pain, which is not heart pain, has been undiagnosed for two years and I believe it isn't going to go away. The most current guess is torn cartilage.

My main reason for bringing this up is to assure you that none of us would ever presume to feel that you don't have the right to pity yourself, let alone expect or hope that anybody else pity you. Geez, this bites! Of course you would feel sorry for yourself! We've been talking about the crying jags that we all go through on here without major complications, but just because it is danged hard sometimes!

I guess I'm just trying to offer you all my sympathy and any possible comfort because it sounds like you are going through a hellish experience. I've been through some hell myself and we just have to keep on keeping on and another way reveals itself to us eventually. I wish you peace and I hope that a solution is found soon.
 
Re: Not sure if anyone remembers me??

Jill,
I too remember you. I was on the other side then, trying to decide what to do. Now I have two new knees that function well.

I am sorry that you have not recovered and please keep coming back. We are here to support you, or at least give you a place to vent.
 
Re: Not sure if anyone remembers me??

Jill, I am so sorry to hear about the problems you are having. I can only imagine how frustrating adn painful it must all be! You mentioned that you saw an OS in New York City. So I'm assuming you live in the region. I am in northern Bergen County, NJ. The surgical group that I used for my BTKR was Hartzband in paramus. They are an incredible group of surgeons and I have heard stories of people who have had horrible mishaps with their TKRs only to have them "fixed" by one of the surgeons in this group. They specialize just in knee and hip replacements and are known for getting fabulous results. If you think it would be worthwhile to get another opinion, you might want to give them a call. Just google the Hartzband name and you'll get their contact info. I used Dr. Levine but Dr. Klein is excellent as well. Dr. Hartzband doesn't take insurance, so I hesitate to recommend him unless you're independently wealthy! But the others do and they are really wonderful.

In any event, I hope that you get some resolution to this problem. I can't imagine living the rest of your life in that kind of pain when it might not be necessary. Don't give up yet!

My prayers and thoughts are with you. Hang in there!
 
Re: Not sure if anyone remembers me??

Hi All. Thank you for the warm welcome back and for all of the the kind words. I did see a different OS yesterday, who was recommended by several colleagues of mine. Okay, so remember when I mentioned that "like" doctors seem to stick together - meaning anyone ortho related that I have seen seems to blame my issue on the spinal epidural, while anyone in the radiologic field seems to say... it had to have happened from the tourniquet. Well.... the OS I saw yesterday was the doctor my OS was a resident under!! Of course, he wasn't going to give me any opinion other than to say it had to be related to the spinal. He also wasn't going to offer to take me on.

He was a nice guy, and very knowledgeable. He straight out said that femoral nerve damage is not something that could be fixed, which I of course knew. He apologized that this happened to me and at such a young age. He thinks I should be in a locked brace which would keep my leg from giving out, but that I would have to physically unlock it if I wanted to bend it to sit. He also said there was a very invasive procedure involving the femur bone and doing some cutting and other stuff on the quad muscle... blah, blah, blah. Something he has only done twice in 20 years and something that I am sure my surgeon doesn't do (he's young).

He thinks I should sit tight for six more months, and see what happens. I truly have no other options anyways... so sit I will!!

Thanks again for welcoming me back. I hope my story doesn't scare other people with nerve problems... from what I hear they usually do repair themselves. I just happened to fall into the 0.3% of people who don't regain full function. Just my luck!! I should start playing the lottery!!! :loll:
 
Re: Not sure if anyone remembers me??

You stick with us, Jill. We'll see you through.
 
Re: Not sure if anyone remembers me??

Hey Jill:
I'm so sorry for all you have gone through, and my only other wish (1st one is that this hadn't happpened to you) would have been that you would have stayed with us to offer kind inspiration and prayers for you.
I had my 1 year anniversary in March. I didn't celebrate either.
My knee still hurts but after 4 visits to 4 different OS, I'll agree that they cover for each other. but long story short, they are blaming my persistant knee pain (had to take a LOA), is coming from my back, and I hope they are right. My OS blew this glaring problem off. Thankfully my PCP didn't, and when Percocet did not relieve my severe NERVE pain, referred me to an (out of system) Pain Mangagement Guy who patiently tried many different pain meds to find one that gave me relief from NERVE pain and that I didn't have some sort of bad reaction to. He also tried several (failed) non-invasive treatments. The Neurologist (also great) sent me to a Psyiatrist(fabulous) All asked me if I had seen a Neurosurgeon. Could it be the degenerated absence of my disc at L5S1 with nerve root compression be the cause of my persistant leg pain??? Likely, but I am looking down the barrell of back surgery.
Just remember that there are plent of us here on the forum who havent had a stellar recovery. We support each other, even if we cannot help, it feels like a warm blanket around your shoulders to be here.
Stay with us, rant and rale, have a pity party. Some of us struggle with nerve pain and you have company. We are there with you.
Hugs,
sandy
 
Re: Not sure if anyone remembers me??

I see your point about the doctors, Jill. It seems to me that the only way you might get a truly independent analysis would be to travel some distance away where you could find specialists who are totally unrelated to any of the doctors you've seen.

But....if that is not possible.....I think your plan to let things ride for several months is a good one. In that time, we'll be here to support you, celebrate your successes, and give hugs when things aren't going so well.
 
I try to handle things on my own and figure things out... and then I get so stressed or to a breaking point and I inevitably find myself back here... "dumping" on you lovely people. Last I wrote a couple of months ago I had seen another (local) OS for a another opinion, who pretty much wrote me off as my surgeon trained under this guy as a resident. (Just my luck!!) : )

I followed up with my OS a couple of weeks after that appointment and filled him in on the visit. He didn’t have much to say except I think he was surprised I had seen another OS for another opinion. He knew I had had a consult with a neurologist a few months back, but doesn’t know about my visit with the neurosurgeon or my trip to NYC for an appt with an OS there.

As has been typical with my follow up appts with my surgeon, not much happens. I usually just tell him it still hurts and it still sucks and he basically says he has nothing to offer me. He seldom does any type of exam, and typically does not even look at my knee, let alone touch it This time I expressed again my disappointment with the entire surgery and how I was much better off before – and it was pretty bad pre-TKR, so I don’t say that lightly. I told him I was losing more ROM and that my PT agreed.

He did get the little doohickey out and measured by ROM. I had lost 8 more degree in less than 3 months. Normally not a big deal probably, but when you are less than 50 to begin with, 8 is significant. A couple more degrees lost and I’m back to being unable to get my leg under the dash to drive my car. As it is… some days I have to take my shoe off before I use the leg lifter and lift my leg over my driver’s door and squeeze it in past the frame to sneak it under the dash. (Not very lady-like… if you are getting the visual here!)

The options he has given me are (and none said with even the slightest bit of confidence in his tone):

A second manipulation. I asked if manipulation was something I could look forward to every 6 months or so in the future, and also asked if the scar tissue would keep forming thicker after each one. He said he had “no clue” and he was more concerned due to the fact that there appears to be such significant scar tissue now, about breaking my leg. He said it took two doctors last time to get my leg to bend… he wasn’t sure what it would take this time. (I’m officially going on record that I do NOT like the option of a broken leg)

Surgery. He said he could go in there, wing it and clean up the scar tissue surgically.

My issues remain – I still have nerve damage. After a manipulation or surgery, without the ability to bend my leg on my own, the scar tissue will form again and I will eventually be back to where I am right now. It scares me that not only does no one know what actually happened during my TKR to cause this, but that no one seems to know what to do, or what might happen in the future.

Before I left my surgeon’s office last time he said to me that he was not scheduling any further follow-up as he has nothing to really offer me. He also said that if I want a manipulation… to call him. If I want surgery… to call him. Talk about feeling abandoned and left in the lurch…. Ugh.


My 24 y/o son says I need a surgeon with a set of b@lls (sorry). Someone willing to go out on a limb or do a little research… do something. Do anything. I’m all for being my own advocate… but this is a bit much. I like my OS and I know my issues might very well not even be due to anything HE did incorrectly during surgery…but I’ve lost faith in him and his lack of knowledge/confidence in everything to do with my case.

What are your thoughts/experiences with multiple MUA? Do they get more difficult with each subsequent one?

I live in the Albany, NY area and am also wondering if any of you know of or have personal experience with a reputable OS in my area. Closer to home is better but I’m willing to do what it takes to find some help and don’t mind traveling 2-3 hours (NYC, Boston, PA, etc) if it gets me to a great surgeon.

Thank you again… as always… for being here and “listening” to my woes. Any thoughts or suggestions would definitely be taken to heart.
 
Hi Jill, Sorry to hear your nerve damage has not improved with time. I wish I could offer you some advise but I really don't know what to tell you. I just wanted to tell you that I'm thinking of you and hope that you can find an answer to this mess. :friends:
 
@Jill0606: ......Jill, I'm so sorry to hear that you are still having problems. As I was reviewing your recovery history, I discovered that you had 14 threads and so I merged them all into this one recovery thread for you. We like to keep updates, concerns and problems in a single thread because it makes it much easier to go back and research all the events that have taken place. So....I hope you don't mind.

It's pretty obvious that you're going to need another (better) opinion. Since you're willing to travel, my suggestion would be to take a look at the surgeons available at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. From what I have heard and read, they seem to have a good team to deal with some of the more complex cases like yours.
 
Hi Jill,
Have you looked into seeing a physiatrist? They look more at the whole body rather than the individual parts. The ortho will look at the bones, the neuro will look at the nerves. The physiatrist will evaluate your whole leg not just the nerves or the bones.

Kathleen
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom