Guest viewing is limited

TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)

@PolarBear60 can you advise if there will be UK medical professionals taking part in Joint Replacement Awareness day?
 
I'm glad you found a yoga instructor that you really like. I've never done yoga and could probably benefit from it. But, no getting on my knees, neither one of them! I sit on my butt instead!
 
Jean, I’m hoping JRAD will help pre-op people to be aware of the ins and outs of recovery before going into surgery. Having all the facts prior to surgery would certainly help.

I’d love to find a yoga instructor that could adapt for my knees! I love to stretch!
 
@PolarBear60 can you advise if there will be UK medical professionals taking part in Joint Replacement Awareness day?
@Craig1, I checked, and for this first event, we have only had the opportunity to schedule US-based medical personnel. US and UK knees are the same, so you could still benefit from the discussions. We do plan to have a more international selection of personnel in subsequent years.
 
Last edited:
@sistersinhim and @KarriB , I was surprised to learn there are standing poses that provide the same benefits as the kneeling poses. I'll ask Mark if he can provide reference sources I could share that might be helpful.
 
Things have been quiet on this thread for some time, but I fell off my back porch steps on Sunday afternoon, landing on the right side of my face, my left hand (dislocated middle finger -- popped right back into place with a tug), and my left knee. Clearly there was some twisting, as I did a 180 in mid-air, so after carefully checking myself over, I popped the middle finger back into place, carefully stood up, went into the house, checked myself in the mirror -- no much blood. I sat down in my recliner and called my husband, who came right home to get me. I told him I thought I was going to be fine, but I wanted the Emergency Room to check me out just to be sure.

He dropped me off and went to take care of getting ready for a gig that afternoon and to close up his shop. They put me in a cervical collar right away. Then they took all the vitals and arranged for me to have a CT scan and X-rays. Everything tested out okay, but my knee x-ray showed an old break in my patella, which I knew nothing about. They wanted to send me home in an immobilizer brace, but I told them I already had one.

I spent yesterday in my recliner resting and gently stretching my neck. When I called my surgeon's office, they said the new referral I got in June was only for my right knee. They transferred me to my primary care doc's nurse where I left a message. She hasn't gotten back to me yet, and I suspect there will be some delay.

The health care system is in bankruptcy, and our local ER where I went on Sunday and the hospital anc clinic in the next town over 15 miles away closed this week. My primary care doc and surgeon are in the clinic 40 miles away that is supposed to remain open, but they are closed this week working through the closing process for the other locations.

I suspect when I get in to see my surgeon, this patella problem isn't going to be anything to worry about, but I'm in my brace just to be on the safe side.

With this ER closing, for any ER visits, we'll have to go to the big hospital 40 miles away, and the ER experience will be far less pleasant. Also, we only have two ambulance crews in town. If they have to make trips to Temple every time, they are going to experience times without coverage, and people may die when they might not have before. These are troubling times for small community hospitals and clinics.

And just because my clinic is still open doesn't mean they will remain that way.
 
Oh no!! You must be aching today. That is awful that you will have to travel so far to be seen. With all the offices closing your doctors are probably going to be backed up with new patients. I don't know how 2 crews will handle it all...very sad state of affairs.
 
That fall sounds frightening, Jean!
I'm glad you weren't badly hurt.
I popped the middle finger back into place, carefully stood up, went into the house, checked myself in the mirror -- not much blood.
That all sounds very cool, calm and collected, but I bet you were really shaken at the time.

Rest, rest, rest, and ice the sore places, including your hand and finger. Some Tylenol probably wouldn't hurt, either.

It's such a shame that smaller, rural areas miss out on the best health services.
 
Hugs and prayers that you will recover well. :console2:

I’ve never heard of a health system going bankrupt, I’m sorry that’s happening. It seems in most areas everywhere you look there’s some kind of health care facility.
 
Jean,
Glad you are OK from your dynamic fall.
Rural areas are a mess with health care, sorry to hear your medical facilities are closing.
On an aside topic, but in support of rural medical facilities Texas does have resources.
We have the ECHO project in Nevada, allows rural areas to consult with experts in the state.
I checked and see Texas also has an ECHO project, here is a link:
https://cms.utsystem.edu/sites/texas-health-journal/story/project-echo
 
Everything tested out okay, but my knee x-ray showed an old break in my patella, which I knew nothing about. They wanted to send me home in an immobilizer brace, but I told them I already had one.
Jean, didn't you crack your right patella back in January 2017? Could that be what they saw on X-Ray?
 
Oh no, Jean. I am so sorry to hear about your fall. I pray that everything is alright and you have no permanent damage. What an inconvenience to have so far to an ER. That could really be dangerous sometimes.
 
Celle, I did crack my patella back in January, 2017, but that was my right knee. The left one was unknown to me. I had some discomfort that made me wonder if I should have it checked, but it was fleeting, and I never had that impressive resounding "crack" of the right knee to catch my attention.

No need for Tylenol. A couple capsules of my frankincense, copaiba, and Idaho balsam fir essential oil concoction did the trick. I did take 2 of the prescribed muscle relaxers, but I noticed no difference from them and discontinued them.

The entire Little River Healthcare system was closed today. I guess Chapter 7 means they have to liquidate assets. I'm hoping someone will come in during the "fire sale" and reopen under new ownership or something like that, but I don't really know.

Swelling is way down today. I only have minor twinges in my neck, and I'm wearing the brace, but have no way of contacting my surgeon or getting a referral to authorize me to see him at the moment. We'll see if next week brings any useful news.

Chris, thank you for the ECHO link.
 
I’m so sorry, Jean! Falling anytime hurts, but cement is ruthless! I hope you’re less achy today.
 
Thanks, Karri. One week later, I'm fine. Left hand is still swollen, but I have better mobility in it. I'll be in limbo on the kneecap for an indeterminate amount of time until I can track down where my OS will be practicing.
 
I found my surgeon and had an appointment with him yesterday afternoon. He checked X-rays and did not believe there had been a break. He tested my knee and said he thought it was fine and I didn't need to wear the brace. He did say if I experience any problems to make sure I come back and see him.

I went to yoga class today, and the left knee was definitely tighter than the right knee, but I made adjustments in my practice and all should be well.
 
Yay, no break! That is wonderful news!
 
Jean,

So glad to hear nothing’s broken and you’ll heal just fine. The lack of easy healthcare is very frustrating and. Fingers crossed things are resolved sooner rather than later.
 
Back
Top Bottom