TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)

Because I never want to get down in my knee I find being "flexible" a great attribute. Stretching to tie shoes, put on socks, take care of feet has to be good, Jean. I think whatever works for you is best.
 
I've been through several therapy sessions for my left foot -- diagnosed as a left peroneal nerve impingement but not acting like it. My therapist was skeptical about my back problems until he essentially verified them during our initial meeting. The stretching exercises he gave me for an impinged nerve in my knee did virtually nothing. I began noticing changes in sensation in my foot after the therapist began manipulations around my heel. We've had several sessions and the tingling in my foot has receded to the outer 2-3 toes on my left foot. I'm not entirely certain what has done the trick, but I am thankful for improvement. I have three more sessions scheduled before we go on vacation at the end of the month, so we'll see how that goes.
 
Happy to hear the therapy is helping (apparently) your foot. With any luck, the therapy is the real deal and you will continue to improve.
 
Improvement is good even when we don't know what to attribute it to! I'm glad your foot is feeling better, Jean!
 
Hi Jean! Glad to hear the foot is getting better..maybe that will be the start with the other issues. One at a time:) I hope you enjoy your vacation. I am heading to your state in a couple of weeks. Visiting a nephew at Ft. Bliss before he transfers to Georgia.
 
Thanks, Peg. Have a great visit while you can, we're happy to have you here. Ft Bliss is a long, long way from here! LOL.
 
Wonderful news, Jean! I pray the next sessions gets all your feeling back. Or at least teachers you how to do the manipulations so you can continue them on your own to give you the relief you so much need!
 
Last night when I got into bed, for maybe 2-3 minutes, I had full sensation in my left foot, including the outer 2-3 toes. Then the tingling returned. This is perplexing but encouraging at the same time. Also, since I've started physical therapy, I've had no trouble with muscle cramping in either leg.

Unfortunately, this morning, as I was picking up the trash can to carry it to the road for trash pickup, I stepped awkwardly on a patio block. (Stop me when this sounds familiar @sistersinhim) I don't think I fractured anything but the fifth metatarsal on my left foot is quite sore. Ice felt good but did not help.
 
A 23-month update. In January, I was prepared to express my frustration to my OS during my 2 year follow-up in June about the ongoing problems with my left knee and stairs and standing from low seats. Over the last few month while I've been dealing with a cracked right patella, those problems seem to have resolved themselves with my left knee.

So, people frustrated with slow recovery, take heart! Healing and improvement can continue well after a year.

So happy for you that the problems resolved themselves, and glad you shared it...it is encouraging for me.
 
Sorry about your sore foot! I hope it resolves quickly and that you start to feel good all over!
 
Hi, @KitCat , in retrospect, I think my knees just needed me to give them some rest -- rest I clearly didn't give them during my initial recovery when I thought I was taking things easy (but still had to do things like scoop litter boxes, do laundry, and take care of dishes).
 
Jean, I'm going to tell you like you told me 3 months ago, if you have any doubts, go get it xrayed! Is it feeling any better? Did you twist your knee?
 
Jean ,it sounds like things are improving, I will always take that
 
The foot is sore when I step on uneven ground. I don't believe it's fractured. I have an appointment for an annual check up at the VA on Thursday. I may ask for an x-ray there just to be on the safe side. Their x-ray folks are great.

I did my daily walk yesterday right after I did it, but I walked carefully and deliberately. Today, I pulled weeds and used the weed whacker at one of our properties (I've neglected it since April, so the weeds were tall enough to pull without having to bend over too far).

I put a boot on for a couple hours yesterday afternoon, but the boot didn't seem to make a difference, so I'm wearing a regular shoe today. There's no swelling, and it isn't painful to the touch. I massaged it with OrthoSport oil this morning and rolled on some wintergreen and helichrysum. I think it feels a little better today. I'll keep doing that for a few days.

The foot is sensitive, so I'll take it easy.
 
I think an xray is called for, just to be on the safe side. You don't want a fracture to get worse! You've had enough problems with your foot!
 
I got heel and forefoot manipulation today. The forefoot manipulation was uncomfortable in a good way -- when he finished he noted there was much more movement available than had been when he began. I noticed a lot of improvement after he manipulated the inner side of my forefoot a week or so ago, so I'm optimistic.

Today was an evaluation day, and the left foot had less range of motion than the right by about 30 degrees if I heard him right. We're making progress, but it's definitely an interesting case.
 
I concluded PT for my foot a couple months ago with no real satisfaction other than realizing I have no permanent damage. The senation is variable in my foot. I'm taking a yoga class. I'm able to kneel for brief periods with about six inches of cushioning. But better than that, I've found a yoga instructor who teaches incredible adaptations so I don't have to try to kneel unless I want to. I have to drive an hour each way for the class, but I value the instructor's knowledge. I hope, in time, I'll increase the flexibility in my hips and feet so this intermittent numbness goes away.

Finally, all of you pre-op and post-op folks...
Please sign up for the Joint Replacement Awareness Day (JRAD) event.
We all want it to be a big success and try to have all resources in one place for those considering joint replacement and those moving forward from joint replacement.

JRAD will be the largest online educational event ever to be held on the topic of joint replacement and up to 100,000 people are expected to tune in. It will feature presentations and panel discussions with the top experts in the orthopedic profession including surgeons, nurses, and physical therapists, as well as patients who have gone through the joint replacement process and can speak to its benefits and challenges.

Bonesmart is an invaluable tool for my ongoing recovery and I'm excited to see what this will look like.
I valued the support and advice from our resident medical advisor, Josephine, with decades of experience, but to have such a large group of all things joint replacement...will be amazing. To have a large number of our members participating "those who know" - will certainly benefit all involved.

We CAN make a difference, and we can get the attention of all involved in all areas of joint replacement...
I hope to learn something and hope we can all lend our voices to highlight our unique experiences.

There is a link that will take you there at the end of my signature.
Hope to see you there.
 
Back
Top Bottom