Guest viewing is limited

PKR PKR Top of knee swelling

I agree with KarriB. At just 4 weeks after surgery, it is normal to still have swelling. That hard area could just be tissues that were handled during the surgery and are still inflamed. Your kneecap was either pulled aside or turned over during eth surgery, so the tendons it si attached to might be upset as well.
It should gradually settle down, although a TENS unit might help.

Keep on with the icing and elevation and just a small amount of exercise - just walking around the house and garden is plenty.
I'm glad you have gone back to using a cane. Keep using it until you can walk normally, without limping.
 
I really feel for you. It's so disheartening to learn that your trusted surgeon wasn't completely honest with you about recovery from either a partial or a full knee replacement. You'd be surprised how much we hear that! I don't really think the surgeons mean to be so off base about recovery. In their defense, the just don't see patients on a daily basis like we do here and I'm sure a lot of people try to paint a rosy picture when they see the "great doctor" for a periodic check up. I'm glad you were honest with yours.

I did do the reading before I joined and it helped some. I am however, confused by the medical practitioners who say continue to do the exercises unless I get worse pain, and the forums that say take it easy. What a conundrum this recovery is!
I'm so glad you read our material and it helped. As I said, it's difficult when our advice may conflict with your doctor or therapist. But, I can assure you that we've developed our approach by working with thousands of knee replacement patients who are experiencing pain and/or swelling with their current activity level. It is such a common problem! The only answer is to back off the exercise and activity; rest, elevate and ice (as much as possible at least 45 minutes at a time); and take something for the pain. You will not lose ROM, you'll gain it this way. There is no "window of opportunity" after which your knee will "freeze up." You can gain ROM up to a year or more after surgery. It's the swelling that stops you from having it.

Walking with a limp but no cane.
Limping is a bad thing to do. It trains your body to use an improper gait and can make recovery more difficult. Use whatever walking aid (can, crutches, walker) it takes to be comfortable and lose the limp. Your goal is to be able to take good long strides with the aid to improve your gait and add strength. Many people view walking aids as a negative....something that signifies disability. Instead, think of the walking aid more as a tool to strengthen and improve yourself. Its use is temporary....only to retrain and improve your body's functions.

I have a very stubborn HARD knot of swelling on upper outside of the knee.
You might try some gentle massage on the swollen area. Move your fingers in a circular motion from the knee up the thigh. You can use some lotion or oil if you like as long as you have no open areas on the incision. Put your leg up on the couch cushion so it is stretched out flat when you massage.

After reading this forum I have reduced my pain with more ice and elevation, and I cut way back on my activity.
This is really good. It shows our approach works for you. Unfortunately, it can take a while for things to dramatically improve....weeks or even months. Just don't get discouraged! Improvement will come.

I am seriously stalled in my recovery again.
All recovery has ups and downs. "Stalling" is common. This is definitely not the time to try and increase activity or exercise. Just continue with your same program and improvements will start again. Sometimes it helps to go back through your recovery thread to see how much progress you have really made so far. With knee replacements, it's measured in weeks, not days.

Regarding the swelling it is not the front band. It is above my knee where the knee meets the thigh/quad, in other words where the femur meets the outside cartilage and ligaments. I have tried mega icing and elevation and it doesn't help. Should I be worried?
This is nothing to worry about. You haven't done anything to damage your implant. You've just stressed tender tissue that needs time to rest and heal itself. I don't know what you mean by "mega" icing and elevating. But you should be keeping ice on your knee as much as possible (with a kitchen towel between you and the ice source so your skin doesn't over chill) during the day and night. Each icing session needs to be at least 45 minutes to do any good. When you elevate, keep your toes above your nose (that's a little higher than above the heart). If you have any pain associated with the swelling, take something for it. Tylenol is fine as long as you're taking 1000mg per dose and no more than 4000mg in any 24 hour period. .

I know it seems like hiking and normal activities are never going to return, but they will. It's a slow process to completely return to normal, but you'll do it.
 
@Alpclimber, I too had partial knee replacement. Mine was Jan 4. I'm jealous of your flexion! I've not experienced the type of swelling you have. I just get general swelling with overuse.
 
Thank you Jamie and UAcats70. Your words are encouraging. Hang in there with the flexion, I am sure it will come. I rested much this weekend, but I have to work two of five days this week as I am self-employed. My doctor said at 4 weeks I would be able to go back part-time. I do corporate training and could lose important clients if I rescheduled now. I am taking an assistant and my cane with me. Will try to teach while seated as much as possible. Had my surgeon been less misleading about recovery, I would have scheduled better.
 
@Celle
I have TENS unit. Do you think my PT can show me how to use it on the tissue above my knee?
 
Sounds like your swelling is similar to mine. That area was always where my seller before TKR as well, just the common spot for me. Icing and elevation. That area for me limits my flexión as well so frustrating on multiple levels. Just takes time. I was a maybe for PKR but completed the TKR because I would have been back under the knife in a few years without it.


Right TKR 27 December 2016
 
@Alpclimber , can you tell us your full surgery date so we can create a signature for you? A signature makes it easier when discussing progress and any problems that may arise. Thanks!
 
That is the area where I have had most of the swelling in both my knees. I am about a week ahead of you on my second knee, and it is still swelling some there, especially if I have been up on it for a while. Ice and elevation help, and I also think the tens unit helps. I don't know if I am doing it right or not, but I just put the leads on the areas I am having the most discomfort and it feels great.
 
Hi KarriB,
My surgery date was January 5, 2017. I am trying to learn how to use the forum better. I'm not sure I am replying correctly. Again, many thanks.
 
Question for the forum: Has anyone with PKR healed earlier than a TKR as I was told I would?
 
I'm 16 weeks post op and I still have a lot of swelling above the knee. It feels hard in some areas and puffy in other areas. I give myself what I call a deep tissue massage and I feel it helps me a lot. If it hurts you while doing so I would stop. I generally do this in a relaxed position in the evening while watching tv with leg relaxed.
 
I started outpatient physical therapy at 6 weeks. My PT said I am ahead of the average TKR in terms of recovery when he evaluated me. My flexion was 136, extension almost 0. My gait was a little off but he said this was due to the visible swelling in my knee. But compared to my uncle who had a TKR a week ahead of me, he is doing better than me. I think the quicker healing of a partial is theoretical and it just depends more on the person and not as much as PKR vs. TKR. Less work is done in a PKR but a fair amount of soft tissue is sustained and there is more balancing work to be done.

Recovery is individual and you can't rush it.
 
PKR or TKR, every knee is different. My dad at 82 had an easy fast recovery. While a friend who had hers at 51 had a long difficult recovery. What does seem to make recovery easier is not being super active the first month or so. Giving soft tissues time to heal and rebound is key.
 
Should I wear compression hose or not? Do compression hose help or hinder swelling? I only wear mine the 2 days per week when I have to work and be on my feet. Still on aspirin for bloodclots so worry when I have to stand or sit long.
 
I believe it is individual preference. I hated compression hose, but there are those that feel they help with swelling. Do you feel they help when you're on your feet working? You returned to work very early.
 
Question for the forum: Has anyone with PKR healed earlier than a TKR as I was told I would?
There are a few, but they seem to be the exception.

My first knee replacement was a PKR and my recovery took just as long as my TKR recoveries.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom