Guest viewing is limited

THR PK9's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy to read your story so far and how well you're doing! I'm a few days behind you at 1 week today and I am looking forward to my first venture out. Best to you and keep posting!
 
Hello everyone one that is reading this. I hope all of your recoveries and/or pre- surgery research is going well.

I have to say my hip is doing outstanding!! I'm so excited about this because I have been dealing with it for about 10 years and finally found a doctor that easing worried about my age.

I've had an issue the has popped up the last few days. I've been having some significant knee pain in my affected leg. Has anyone ran into this. I'm hoping is just the muscles adjusting and maybe affecting my tendons. I'm hoping it will pass. I don't know. Anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks for all of your help advice and support.

PK9.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi PK9. I'm thinking that you could be having this knee pain for any or all of the following very typical reasons:
1. You are doing too much too soon. On your feet too much. Walking too far at a time. Doing too many PT exercises. Any or all of the above.
2. You've cut back on pain meds too soon and/or too much.

You're just a few weeks out of surgery. All the soft tissue disturbed during surgery is still very inflamed...and it will be like that for quite a while, so it's very easy to overdo and and set off a nasty tendinitis of one sort or another. Knees, ankles, calves and shins, buttocks, IT bands, groin....pain referring up and down and sideways...we hippies easily get into trouble because the surgery fools us into thinking we are renewed and restored and ready to rock and roll. But of course...we aren't.

So follow the protocol.....tons of rest, tons of ice, ENOUGH medication (often enough and in a sufficient dose) to keep pain well controlled. Lay off the PT stuff for a while, and when/if you resume go slowly and build up gradually. Don't do anything that hurts.

Everything is adjusting, and full adjusting and healing takes a full year. Patience now pays off big time later on.

Sharon
 
Awesome, sounds great. I was thinking I've over did it too.

I guess it's time to be more realistic.

Thanks for putting it into perspective.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Peligrok9 I had achy pain in the muscle above my knee prior to surgery that I assumed came from my sexy limp. Now post op 10 days I still have some of that pain but it's dissipating. It only is really noticable when I overdo it!
:kitty:
 
Woo Hoo! I'm back on track and I'm taking it easy. Ice, meds, and movies today. No more overdoing it for me.

These silly crutches gave me a rash under my arms. My wife had me put coconut oil on it and it has helped. So if anyone runs into that also it might help.

BUT...We have to drive to Houston (about three hours..) tomorrow for my first follow up appointment on Tuesday. We are doing it in two days to break it up. Im dreading the drive, but I'm pretty excited to see what the doctor has to say.

Again thank you all for your thoughts and advice. It really means a lot.

PK9


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I truly can’t believe this but, I am typing this while I sit at my desk at WORK. The past few days have been crazy. I had my two week follow up on Tuesday. The three hour drive was a little rough but it wasn’t anything ice couldn’t fix. They were very pleased with my progress so far but I’m still two more weeks on crutches after this week. Then down to one crutch for a week then maybe a cane for a while. I’m going to assume that there will be all sorts of things going wacky as soon as I start putting pressure on me new hip.
I’m still doing light PT at home and they told me to walk as much as I can handle. I’m will be able to ride a stationary bike for five minutes at a time starting next week. Yesterday was my first day out of the house by myself. I had to go to my friendly VA clinic to file some paper work then a quick stop at the store. At about 1230 I was exhausted when I got home so I had lunch, ice, and a 2 hour nap!
I’ve been cleared to phase into work. I’m doing four hours a day until I’m comfortable to add more time. I’m on desk duty with freedom to get up and move around as needed.
This is my third hip surgery so I’m being very careful about trying to do too much. I still cannot believe I have recovered this quickly. For the most part I’m pain free except at night so that is the only time I really need to take a pain pill.
Thank you all for you advice and support.
PK9
 
:wowspring:Is all I can say! Glad it's going so well. I am 2 weeks today and I can see mentally being able to work a few hours a day, but it would have to be in very short chunks. Good for you and take it easy!
 
@Peligrok9

I just got done reading your threads and am super stoked to hear that you are having a great recovery at your age. Reading of your recovery has gotten me super amped and motivated to get my mind and body ready for what is ahead in my near future. I am only a week and two days out of surgery and am relatively pain free ,controlled by meds and ice of course. I have a little bit of an energy drain but haven't really taken a nap during the day passed the 3 day mark.

As for the knee pain/ache, I too have experienced this while trying not to overdo my activity level. Though, it is helped out by the pain meds I have noticed. Stretching minimally while sitting on the gound has helped also.

I did notice you mentioned you made a trip to your local VA clinic to file paperwork. I too am a military vet with 50% disability. Did you have your operation through the VA?
 
That is outstanding! I’m glad you are doing well also. It’s been a long road for me of alternative treatments before it came to have it replaced. I’m glad it is finally over. It so hard to try and take it easy but I have learned the hard way from my previous surgeries.
I did not have my surgery at the VA. I haven’t really had any positive experiences with the VA as far as treatment for my hip. Luckily I have other insurance through my employer and that was the route I chose to take.
I still feel the energy dump. Yesterday was rough after my first half day back to work. No pain at all I was just really tired.
I don’t want to get too far in the weeds but if you are service connected for you hip and you had a total hip replacement you can file to have you disability adjusted. Please do the research on this. It is a significant adjustment.
Best of luck to you!
 
I don't have anything new or groundbreaking to post. I took today off from work. It was getting difficult to get moving at 430am to get to work. No pain just stiff in the morning and I didn't want it to get out of hand.

Work has been great and I have the same amount of freedom at work as I do at home as far as moving around and icing as needed. The only difference is I have to wear pants to work. I normally travel a lot but I'm stuck in the office till late September. Has anyone flown with a replacement? I'm assuming it will affect my PreCheck status and I'll be subject to the freedom frisk. Haha!

Today being home has sparked the "post op blues". I'm not sure why. Physically I feel great, better than I have in years. I've made crazy fast progress and don't have any real pain, but I just feel like ****.

I can't wait to throw these crutches in the lake! I have one my week then I get to drop one. Woo Hoo!

Thanks for being an ear...


PK9
LTHR 8/03/15
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I seem to get Pre-check status every time I fly. Most of the time, it works out well....as long as the airport has the type of scanner where you stand with your hands up over your head, in the pre-check line. If not....I have to be wanded and get the infamous pat-down.

Sharon
 
Hi @Peligrok9 , hope those post op blues have left. They don't really have rhyme or reason... I decided that once the adrenaline-driven "I made it" feeling you're filled with immediately post op wanes (along with the adrenaline no doubt) you react; for some that's Day 2, for others later, for some just once, for others a few days on end or intermittent. They don't call it a Roller Coaster recovery for nothing! :good-bad:You will feel so much better once those crutches hit the lake :snork: - less like an invalid for a start, and it is such a distinct marker in your progress

I'm traveling on Saturday... interstate then international; I am taking the advice offered here and by my OS and allowing extra time for the security checks. I really am struggling to get my head around it, I loathe even having to take my shoes off (which seems to happen a lot!) so know I'm going to feel humiliated by the "look at her, wonder why SHE's getting taken to the side" looks, never mind the pat down! ... I have tried to get more positive about it, don't really know why it bothers me so much when I show pics of my hip - including my bum - to anyone who expresses any interest at all:heehee:

When I CAN be sensible about it I tell myself that if it wasn't for my new hip I wouldn't even be able to go to New Zealand on holiday... or if I did it would be like last time, with loads of adjustments to our activities to accommodate "The Hip":tada:

Happy Healing
Donna:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @craftdee thank you for the words of encouragement. I am doing much better with the blues and I"m keeping my mind occupied witch I think is ley for me. I hope you have a great time on your trip to New Zealand. That sounds amazing. Maybe I can talk my wife into a Hip-cation after I'm fully healed. I'll tell her is all part of the process.

Hi @Poppet Thank you for the links. Its great info I especially like the information on Nutrition.
Monday is as good as a Monday can be. This one is great because it’s the last Monday for these silly crutches! I hope everyone has a great week!
Also I found this: https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/disability_notification_cards.pdf
It might be helpful for the US members when traveling so you don’t have to yell I have a hip replacement in the TSA security line. It might be old news to everyone but I figured I’d share it anyway.
 
Interesting that TSA provides a card. Thanks for the link. I'll include it in our Library article. But I notice that it doesn't exempt you from anything. With joint replacements, you'll most likely always have to be individually scanned or wanded. As for the privacy issue, from my experience with travel these days, you'll have a lot of hip and knee company in the line waiting for your personal check.

Glad you're doing so well with your new hip. I absolutely LOVE the photo in your first post!!!
 
@Jamie Thank you! I feel like a million bucks, just a few minor aches and pains here and there. The hospital staff thought it was funny that I was so happy to have a just had a major surgery. It’s been a long hip road for me.
Yes, the TSA card is just for discreet communication with the ticket and ID checker at the front of security. Hopefully it’s helpful to someone.
 
Just a quick check in...

I had my 60 day follow up Monday sep 28. All is going well my muscle strength is good and my gait is also good. This is the first time I've walked with out a limp as long as I can remember.

My first few steps without a cane or crutch were a little wobbly and it seemed like my body was taking some time to adjust to being properly aligned.

I've been given the go ahead for high impact activities at the 90 day mark. I'm a little nervous about it but I plan on starting very slow.

By no means am I 100%. I still have occasional pain here and there. I've been exercising so there are little flair ups here and there. It has mostly been in my non operative hip. Any walking I have done has been with trekking poles. I feel like a dork with them but I don't care I'm able to exercise! Woo hoo!

My wife is a massage therapist and has been doing a lot of work on my scar and surrounding area so I owe a lot to her for my speedy recovery.

Has anyone gotten chiropractic adjustments after a THR to help with alignment?

I hope everyone is doing very well and i wish everyone a speedy recovery.
[Bonesmart.org] PK9's Recovery



PK9
LTHR 8/03/15
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You're doing just great @Peligrok9...how wonderful for you! As to your question regarding chiropractic adjustments, I do know our resident nurse @Josephine swears by them. I have just paged her for you and perhaps she can suggest what to look for when selecting a chiropractor. I'm not sure if there may or may not be certain questions you should ask before choosing one. Good luck and God bless!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom