PKR Piglet - 14th May 2012 - back home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Piglet - welcome home and congrats on your new knee. Sounds like you are doing really well. Shower on second day - they would not let me shower for 2 weeks and 1 day - had to wait for staples to be taken out. "sink" baths is what I had and my husband would wash my hair for me. I was so happy for my first shower!

Keep up the GREAT work - glad you requested your meds and ice!
 
Piglet-Thank you so much for the detailed posts. You are blazing the trial for some of us waiting for our surgery. Hope you contine to do well and wish you a speedy recovery. Keep us updated on your progress.
 
Yes, taking a shower is an "event" in the early days, but it feels so good! Congrats Piglet--you're doing great!

Thanks very much. Yes shower and moving downstairs to the sofa in the afternoon. Who'd think it would be so exciting :hysterical:

Am pleased its done though. :yahoo:
 
Shower on second day - they would not let me shower for 2 weeks and 1 day - had to wait for staples to be taken out. "sink" baths is what I had and my husband would wash my hair for me. I was so happy for my first shower!

Thanks very much. Ooh that would have done my head in :tantrum2:

Had a bowl bath first day in hospital and that was more tiring than sitting in the shower.

It's weird how things are done so differently in different hospitals let alone countries. :scratch:
 
Piglet-Thank you so much for the detailed posts. You are blazing the trial for some of us waiting for our surgery. Hope you contine to do well and wish you a speedy recovery. Keep us updated on your progress.


Thanks very much. Doesn't feel like I'm doing much but keep revisiting the posts on here and trying to behave myself

Have bitten the bullet and ordered a cyro cuff as was cooking the frozen gel pads within 20 minutes with my nuclear knee :snork: although they lasted hours with the scope.

Not long for you now. Don't forget earplugs!!:friends:
 
Piglet, welcome home! Glad to hear all is well thus far!

Thanks. I think it's good you're having both done at once. That way you only have one uncomfortable night after surgery. With the painkillers your new knee is surprisingly stable and arthritis pain free. Good luck. Not long now :friends:
 
Because, like a lot of young people these days, they are thoughtless and unprofessional! When I was a student nurse, we were expected to always converse in whispers on night shift. And all the lights were off so we had to have torches to see our way around the ward! Nowadays, they have all the corridors lights on all night, so they forget there are people trying to sleep!
f.

Hee Hee. They did turn the lights out and use torches but it was the older nurses in the corridor. I now know all of their private life issues. They were excellent apart from that. Was a bit ironic as they kept saying we needed rest as we had a major op. no chance during the day but quite amusing now :DOH:
 
Piglet what a great report. You are doing really well. A shower on the second day, Great job! Glad you stood up for yourself and got what you needed. :thumb: Keep up the rest, ice and elevate and do your stretches too. Being tired is so normal, keep up the great recovery.:friends:

Thanks. Been doing the quad exercises and knee bends but not straight leg lifts and knee extensions as too sore. I'm assuming that starting those later on is ok
 
Congrats on your new knee Piglet!
Make sure you keep your knee iced and elevated, while re-reading all the pertinent articles in the library, and don't forget your pain meds!
Let hubby worry abt the cooking and cleaning because this is YOUR time to relax and heal.
BTW-my hubby does the avoidance technique too. Even more frustrating!
Happy Healing!

Thanks I'm very fortunate as I have a wife so the cooking cleaning etc is well sorted thank goodness ,as don't feel that hungry and left to my own devices probably wouldn't bother :scratch:

Icing has been fun as gel pads aren't lasting long so have ordered a cyro cuff which will hopefully be here Monday :dancy:
 
Question re clunking patellofemoral

Hi
Have just started getting a loud clunking which I can feel too when I start walking on the crutches and goes after about five steps Is this normal for a partial? (knee cap and thigh)

I had read before about this on the forum with totals,which made sense as it was all artificial and mechanical but couldn't recall anything on partials

It doesn't hurt and if it's normal that's ok, but just getting a bit worried I might have done something :DOH: although cant imagine that I have??

Thanks:scratch:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Piglet - 14th May 2012 - back home

​
 
The same thing applies. You've had you nice soft cartilage replaced with metal and hard plastic. Until the muscles regain their tone, it's only logical they will make a noise as you walk.
 
Re: Question re clunking patellofemoral

Hi
Have just started getting a loud clunking which I can feel too when I start walking on the crutches and goes after about five steps Is this normal for a partial? (knee cap and thigh)


Quite normal! As the muscles strengthen, you will probably not notice it much...Due to my BTKR, I hear and felt mine in stereo! After a while, I didn't hear or feel them anymore. I am sure that you will not have issues with the clunkers for long.
 
I found this cartoon on a tshirt site. Seems appropriate to the conversation! (this is my first stab at an attachment -- please forgive if it takes more than one try)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Piglet - 14th May 2012 - back home
    knee clunk.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 174
Hi Piglet

Congratulations on your new knee and welcome home!! You sound as if you are doing just great with your early recovery. Very impressed you have managed a shower already - well done!! Keep up the good work and take it easy.
 
Re: Question re clunking patellofemoral




Quite normal! As the muscles strengthen, you will probably not notice it much...Due to my BTKR, I hear and felt mine in stereo! After a while, I didn't hear or feel them anymore. I am sure that you will not have issues with the clunkers for long.


Thanks am happy now I know it is normal for a partial. Feels like its talking to me :cat-kittyandsmiley: or is that the drugs?:skeptical:

Just couldn't figure out what it was clunking on as the rest of my knee is my own. Was initially worried the plastic knee cap bit was moving but it's so solid and pain free in that area didn't think it had. It must be clunking on the normal cartilage. :biggrin:

Thanks again
 
Hi Piglet

Congratulations on your new knee and welcome home!! You sound as if you are doing just great with your early recovery. Very impressed you have managed a shower already - well done!! Keep up the good work and take it easy.

Thanks Jazyb. Got into a routine now after missing the meds time yesterday. Alarm at 0700. Morning meds. Back for :sleepz: then wake up mid morning ice try some stretches shower, head downstairs to the sofa, midday drugs, brunch and more :sleepz: whilst elevating with more ice. That takes me to late afternoon and most of the day has gone.

How are you doing?:thumb:
 
I found this cartoon on a tshirt site. Seems appropriate to the conversation! (this is my first stab at an attachment -- please forgive if it takes more than one try)

Can read the bottom bit. What does the bits in the speech bubble say?::what:
 
Piglet, the pic is a thumbnail. If you click on it, it will come up larger and is easier to see and read.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom