Guest viewing is limited

TKR Phrog's Great Expectations - Downgraded a Little<

@sistersinhim and @Pheebs52: you are both so right! Last night my husband told me that water walking has 15 times the resistance of walking out of the water. Ever skeptical, I looked it up and as usual, he knows more than me. The article I read says 12-14 times the resistance so he was very close to being right. Pheebs, so glad you are cleared for the water again. Hope you find a good pool close to home. That's key for me - it's literally five minutes from my house and that alone makes it easier to go!
 
I am an avid swimmer, but held off getting in a pool until month 7 because of the resistance water provides. My OS cleared me for water at month 6 and I waited another month. I had been biking 4 miles a day and still I could only swim 3-4 laps that first day. It took a whole month of building up slowly before I could swim my usual 15 laps. I had even gone back to teaching full time and found swimming hard.

Remember that your knee is new and take it slowly. If you're going to water aerobics class that should probably be your only actvity for the day, if you feel ok a few days after that add your bike as well and see how that goes.

Don't jump in the deep end (metaphorically) until you've tested the water. :swim:
 
Phrog, I had aquatherapy after my hip replacement and boy, did I feel the aftereffects, despite having been a regular swimmer for many years. So yes, it is weight-training and you do need to go slow. Personally, at your stage of the game, I wouldn't do anything else on water days. 45 minutes is a lot of exercise for anyone.:SUNsmile:
 
I've been AWOL for a couple of weeks. I spent a lovely week with a college friends (aren't 50 year friendships great?) at Lake Almanor in the Sierras. There was a lot of riding in the car as we went to Lassen Nat'l Park and did other sight seeing. The stiffness from the sitting I did all week was not unexpected - but I actually think less activity helped me along some. I came home numb but in less pain. This last week I was back into my usual routine and the stiffness has been somewhat replaced by soreness. I've cut back on the bike on the days I go to exercise class which is helping. I think this trip was good practice for the eleven day car trip my husband and I are taking at the end of this week. My plan is to make use of the motel exercise rooms to just loosen up in the morning before we head out and in the evenings before bed. We're doing a 2500 mile loop from California to Oregon, Idaho, Las Vegas, then to the So. California coast and finally back home to the valley. There will be an ice chest in the car so I can ice if needed and although there will be a couple of unavoidable long days, we will try to take breaks every few hours.

At 5 and a half months, I am still a little frustrated with my leg strength and the amount of pain getting into and out of chairs - and the fickle nature of my knee on stairs. Getting something off a low shelf is very bothersome, but I have begun to do it! Today I actually put a new seal around my bath tub. I was quite the contortionist and had the sticky white stuff on my feet before it was over, but I managed. :dancy::yes!:

I saw my primary doc this week and she was concerned about my thyroid - I wondered about this several posts ago. I've been hyper in the past which can (and did in the past) lead to loss of muscle in the legs, but have been classified as hypo for four years and take supplements for it. My "numbers" were not right (indicating perhaps hyper again) so she is reducing the dose of thyroid. This might be nothing - but wow - it might explain why I just seem to get sore but not gain much strength. I'm looking at it as a good thing - something that might help my recovery. And if not, patience, Janet, patience!! :heehee:
 
I remember well that P word! I hated it, but knew it was important to be just that...patient! It's so hard. But, it will be worth it!
 
Have you thought about seeing an endocrinologist for your thyroid, especially since you've gone from hyper to hypo?
 
@KarriB - thanks for the suggestion. I did see an endocrinologist for two and a half years and he released me to my primary doc about a year ago. I've gone from hyper four years ago to hypo a year later and evidently I am now possibly overmedicated and trending to hyper again. My primary is testing again in 6 weeks to see if the lower dose is helps. If she can't resolve it, she'll refer back to the endocrinologist. Maybe that's why they call it "practicing medicine? :shrug:
@sistersinhim : I've supplemented the Girl Scout motto of "Be Prepared, "with "Be Patient." I used to tell my kids when we were in doctors' waiting rooms that they call us patients because we have to be. :heehee:
 
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 32 years ago and my levels go up and down. I also had a goiter that was growing into my esophagus due to my lack of thyroid. The endo did tests on the goiter and once all my levels had evened out my PCP also takes care of things.
 
Two days until we leave on our 2500 mile car trip. I know the mantra of stopping often to stretch and move around, and icing in the car. I did that on the shorter trip I took two weeks ago. I did well, but had some achiness and numbness. Does anyone have any suggestions that worked well for them while driving long distances? Likely my hubby will do most of the driving and I will do most of the sitting (and much to his chagrin, singing along with the radio). The car has fairly good leg room. I read to take a pillow - but I can't quite figure out where I would put it - under the thigh? Or should I put something on the floor of the car to prop my leg on and then put the pillow on that? A mystery to me.

@KarriB, do the doctors still adjust your thyroid meds when your levels go up and down? This is the first downward adjustment I've had. It's only been a week and so far no difference. I imagine it takes time.
 
on our recent 2-1/2 hour each way trip, i had a pouffe on the floor that i could prop my leg on. i also had a long pillow that i put under my thigh so i wouldn't feel the somewhat hard edge of the seat which makes my thigh achey. of course i had an icepack over my knee. i really couldn't raise my leg very much because there wasn't enough room with the glove compartment above the passenger seat footwell. you should have a few icepacks available in a cooler so you can switch out. have a fabulous trip.:driver:
 
I laid in the back seat with the Lounge Doctor, head on pillows - I would have propped leg on pillows in the backseat if I did not have the Dr. Lounge. It was very comfortable for a two day trip.
 
@kmak81230 and @liam2015, thank you both! I don't have a pouffe, but I have a wedge, which I think is about the same as a "lounge doctor" (I hadn't heard that term before) and will see if I can use it some way. It folds and might fit on the floor. I can just throw it in the back and pull it out if I need it. I will experiment with some pillows and see if I can build my own pouffe. I am almost six months post op, so I don't think I need to elevate or lay down. I'll take your advice and pack extra ice packs in the ice chest. I'm a little nervous, but I survived four hours in the car a couple of weeks ago, admittedly with some numbness and soreness, but I think with stops I'll manage to do the couple of nine hour days we have planned and the other days will be shorter. I am calling this our "chasing the eclipse" anniversary trip - now if my knee and the Oregon weather agree to cooperate, I think we are set to go.
 
Have fun! I hope you have clear skies and a comfortable trip.
 
have a fantastic time on your trip ~ it sounds amazing ~ wonderful to see the beauty in your country. maybe you can find a few spas along the way with those water therapy pools. enjoy and take good care.
 
:thankyou::swim::upright::bath: I'm planning on spending some time in the hotel pools and exercise rooms.
 
@phrog, I've just caught up on your thread and was so impressed by your recent road trip; congratulations! I guess you can think of it as a test-run for your upcoming, lengthier excursion, eh? I think it's important to get out of the car and walk around a bit at least once very two hours to avoid all kinds of discomfort; back, hip, legs and knees. I had to do this pre-TKR and expect I'll be doing it into eternity. :rolleyes: I find the vintage body and prolonged sitting just aren't a good mix, but, perhaps that's just me.

At any rate, your trip sounds wonderful and I am of course, green with envy since I haven't been in the car for more than 30 minutes, lol. I think I'll need to push that boundary very soon; hah! Have a safe, exciting, and memorable journey! :)
 
Hi,
Good luck on your trip. I did a 6 hour car ride a couple of weeks ago. I rode mostly in the back seat sideways with a pillow under my leg on the seat however I have done a few 2 hour trips in the front seat. I take a pillow and use it as needed. I either put it under my thigh as the hard edge of the seat digs in there and causes discomfort after a while but I move it to the floor to put my foot on or under my calf lengthwise to relieve the pressure of legs hanging down too long. Whatever works for comfort!
I also have thyroid disease and have blood work done every 3 months so my PCP can adjust my medication as needed. Now I am on 1 strength through the week and stronger on the weekends but that can change! Again, they try to keep you even and not in the hyper or hypo levels.
Have a great trip!
 
Good luck on your trip and just enjoy every minute of it !!!! I haven't as yet taken a trip (unless you count the OS 1 1/2 hrs. away....lol) but will be anticipating one in the future when all of this knee business is done with. Does there ever come a day that we will be without soreness and stiffness?? Hoping so. Anyway.....you just have a great time !!!!
 
Thanks, everyone, for the good trip wishes and suggestions. @Pheebs52 , it's not just you - our vintage bodies demand we release them every couple of hours from the prison cell of the automobile. I'm gonna take some pictures - scenery - and hopefully some that indicate I've been active and not just sitting!
 
Happy trails for your trip! You've gotten great advice and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. We're all looking forward to pictures!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom