Guest viewing is limited

TKR Phrog's Great Expectations - Downgraded a Little<

You will love the water. Take it easy in your class and go at the speed you are comfortable with. I try to stay in deeper water (it's like 4'3) as it seems less pressure on my knees. Also, I don't do any of the jumping in class. I modify the exercise and the instructor has no issues with it.
 
Thanks, jaschembra! I'll be careful. Thanks for the tip on the depth of the water. I'm glad they are letting you modify what you do. Slow and steady wins this race I think. The class I am starting in has no jumping - the instructor says she will move me up to the next level class when I think I am ready. This is at a nice independent living residential facility for people over 60 - and the average age of participants is 83. I am the youngster in the group and probably one of the few who don't live there. The instructor told me everyone does only what they are able to do. I think for the short term at least, this will be what I need. Six months down the road, I may need to join a regular gym if I need more but for now it's perfect. There are four levels and I am starting at the lowest one.
 
This program sounds absolutely ideal Phrog! I should see if there's anything like that around here. I second everything Jaschembra said; deeper water = less pressure on your knees and other joints.
 
But, be very careful your first few times in. It is really easy to overdo in water.
 
Yes! It is easy to overdue in the water. You won't feel it so much (although, I did start to feel it my first few times and that is when I quit) and it will actually loosen you up and feel good but then of course, later, if you overdo it, you'll feel it. Listen to your body and take it slow.
 
My new exercise program began this week at four months and 3 weeks post op. My goal is to gain strength in quads and hamstrings so I can resume some activities I haven't been able to do very well (working in the yard, getting things out the lower cabinets, going hiking, riding my real bike as opposed to my stationary bike). My other goal is to be patient about how long this is likely to take. I didn't get this way over night - won't get stronger over night either.

I've been to my arthritis toning exercise class twice (it's done both sitting in a chair and standing behind the chair) and to the arthritis water exercise class once. I have water exercise again tomorrow. I expected the classes to be too easy for me and I was wrong! Although the average age in the classes is in the 80s, my 69 year old legs are no stronger than most of those in the class (insert sigh here). I'm glad the instructors stop and remind us not to overdo and not to look around and compare how we are doing with how others are doing (hard not to).

I especially am liking the water exercise. The water is warm and soothing. The motions are slow and relaxing. There are no jumping movements. When I got out of the pool yesterday, I got into the hot tub and put my knee in front of the whirlpool jet. Heaven. My leg didn't hurt and was flexible for an hour after. Yea, me!! Today was the toning class and afterward I spent about 10 minutes on a machine that is like a recumbent elliptical machine. The instructor had me reduce the amount of resistance I had set. She was right - I also did 20 minutes on my home stationary bike today and I am a little sore tonight, but not too bad. I haven't used the cane at all in the last two weeks though I sometimes put it in the car when I know we might be walking more than a few blocks. I feel more on the mend than I did even last week. Hooray!
 
Thanks, KerriB. I don't think I believed I'd get here. You've been a voice of reason to me!
 
Yah for you, Phrog. Water works. I don't have a pool but I do have a hot tub on my deck two feet outside my bedroom door. I'm missing it while I heal enough to get back in. Several months ago I was being treated for bursitis and my PT helped me design as series of exercises to do in my hot tub. Two horrible knees meant a lot of traditional exercises were agony but I learned to bicycle, leg lifts and a lot more stretches. I did 20 minutes twice a day for the months leading up to surgery. It loosened up joints and reduced pain rather nicely and I gradually went from not being able to do 30 bicycles to over 1000. I took it easy and worked up so gradually I was never in pain. I truly believe it has made my recovery from this month's TKR so much easier. I've got defined leg muscles on the inside of my calves which have been a big help in compensating for damaged quads. I used a leg lifter for 3 or 4 days after surgery and then had strength enough to raise my leg onto the bed myself. I know many people do not have to space or budget for a hot tub but it has been a better pain reliever than drugs for me. Well worth it if you can get regular access to one.
 
Wow! @Jajakio, that is wonderful!! You've got me interested enough to look for exercises to do in the hot tub. I don't have my own, but there is one at the senior wellness center and no one else was in it when I used it yesterday after the water exercise class. The water in the pool is quite warm but not hot tub warm. Thanks!
 
I'm sure you will find plenty depending on where you want to go. I started with knee stretches for bursitis which are now impossible until I get more knee flexion, added bicycling, leg lifts, ankle rolls, ankle pumps. Threre are a bunch of different stretches depending on what hurts. I leaned in and "swam" sitting down to exercise arms and shoulders. Bicycling probably did the most good long haul. The back of my knees were pretty painful after I did much walking and after a few months of bicycling I had almost no back knee pain. It didn't solve enough to avoid knee surgery unfortunately. But my previously aching ankles have settled down nicely.
 
@liam2015 - I have IT band syndrome and Celle is right - you would definitely know if you have it! It's so painful, going down stairs hurts like heck, and so do walking and cycling. :swoon:
 
Great report! You've got the right approach with the exercise, I think. Take it gently and gradually as you get stronger you can increase levels if you want. :walking:
 
Great report!!! Glad the water exercise feels good for you. It does for me as well. Sometimes not at first, but I know I'm so much looser by the end of class. Glad hot tub worked for you. It doesn't for many - the heat on a young knee is too much.
@Jajakio be careful with your hot tub. I've read where others have suffered greatly with the heat on a young knee. I have yet to try it at my gym and I used it regularly prior to TKR - but the stories of others have steered me away. I may have to give it a try now :)
 
Oh I am nowhere near going back into the hot tub post surgery. I got huge benefits with arthritic knees before surgery but I expect it will be several more weeks before I can get in. My surgery was only 2 weeks ago and I'm not even going to think about asking OS for permission yet.
 
Struggling a little today with soreness. I think I may be doing my old trick of doing too much. Yesterday I had to miss my exercise class for a dentist appointment so I went to the senior center after the appointment and used the recumbent elliptical and stationary bike for 15 minutes each and then got into the pool on my own and did about half of the exercises we do in class. Then I swam a little. After that I sat in the hot tub for 15 minutes. I felt a little sore this morning but I went to the water exercise class and we worked very gently for about 45 minutes. I did my usual 20 minutes on my home stationary bike this afternoon. Tonight I am very sore - muscle sore - and the side of my leg is yelling at me. It didn't seem like much when I was doing it, but writing it all out shows I should have slowed it down. I so want to get stronger. Patience, Phrog, patience!
 
Our knees do remind us, sternly, when they feel we've overworked them. Today's a good day to sit out the exercises and just chill. Your ADL will be exercise enough while your muscles quiet down. We all overdo it on occasion, and have to slow down while our knees chide us.
 
What a wonderful report Phrog, despite some soreness today from overdoing! Several years ago, I developed serious back issues that necessitated visits to a Pain Clinic and steroid injections. The wise doc there told me, "Eventually, we all end up in the water." He was right! Apparently, it's the place to be and I'm fine with that since I seem to have gills and fins. Seriously, I'm really glad this is working for you; whoohoo!

Now, perhaps initially, on days you attend the 45 minute water exercise class, you should forgo the bike at home? I know we don't *feel* like we are doing much when in the water, but....we are! Water=weight and exercising in water can bite back, especially if adding other movements the same day.

I'm green with envy over the hot tub sessions! We used to have one and I miss it terribly; wah! However, we'll be moving sometime in the next year and I'll just have to wait and see if we'll get one again. In the interim, I need to find a new pool since I finally got pool clearance yesterday! I'd love to find a class just like yours, complete with healthy Octogenarians.:giggle:
 
Those water exercises can really overwork you before you realize it. My first time back I only did a little, but suffered for at least a few days afterwards. It was another month before I went back. Then, I gradually built up my time in the water.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom