TKR Phrog's Great Expectations - Downgraded a Little<

I think that is an excellent choice. If you are comfortable in your surroundings, you will be more likely to go. Let us know how it is working out for you.
 
I have been a member of the Y for years, but don't go near enough. The pool there is wonderful! I'll be glad when I'm cleared to go back!
 
@phrog, your recovery journey is new to me and I'd just like to applaud your decision to join the aquatics classes at your Senior Center. Once I can do the same, I'll be wearing that bathing suit with you. Happy splashing!:yay:
 
Thanks for the votes of confidence in my decision! Hoping against hope that I manage to get there as often as I should. @sistersinhim, the warmth of the heated pool is a huge attraction to me. I hope you get cleared soon to use the Y pool. @Pheebs52, wish I knew someone who wants to go with me here, but we can all splash together virtually once you two can get in the pool. :swim:

I got some blood work back this week indicating my thyroid (for which I'm on meds for being too slow) may be slightly too fast now. I had that problem a few years ago before it shut itself down. Wish it had helped me lose some weight (no such luck), but I'm wondering if it might be partially responsible for the weakness and soreness I'm having. I'll see the doc in a few weeks but she probably would have called me if she thought it was fast enough to need a med change. I may be looking for excuses here. Who me?:heehee:
 
Phrog, maybe we could find a pool where we could meet up in the middle....Kansas? LOL! I joined my pool about 12 years ago and recall just how reluctant I was, despite my love of swimming. As soon as I got in the water, all reluctance vanished. Yours will too, especially in a senior environment and the lovely warm water.

:surfer:
 
Alrighty then, it's a date! Of course, I don't have swim clearance as yet from my OS, but I'll let you know when I do.:heehee:
 
Given that I am a *tortoise* (slow-healer/bender) this could take awhile.....
 
@Pheebs52, take your time - I sure did in terms of being ready to get into a pool. I was a great bender and extender, but also developed an IT band problem that slowed me way down in terms of walking and sleeping. Slow is OK. It's a marathon, not a sprint!
 
Well Phrog, I have no choice since I am working on my knee's time, not mine, sigh. My extension is zero (yay) but the flexion is rather dismal still; pffft! Oh, ouch on the IT Band problem. I developed that after a THR five years ago and it set me way back, about 8 weeks, if I remember correctly. I developed it from being over enthusiastic with exercise and having a PT who was cut from that same, foolish cloth. I vowed I would not have a repeat performance with my knee, and....I'm not! I think this might come under the heading of "Be careful what you wish for." Hah!
 
just wondering, what is this IT band problem everyone is talking about? maybe i have it too but just don't know it.:wink:
 
Oh, wow, Pheebs52, your last are words to live by. Wish I had your patience, but this is my first rodeo and I entered with completely unrealistic expectations. I know better now. I was so lucky to have a PT who was oh-so- good with massage because I definitely over did at first and paid for it later. My OS still wants me doing more than I am, but I think my senior center membership is a good compromise.
 
@liam2015, I'm not a medical person, but hopefully someone smarter than me can tell you more. I was told it's a ligament that basically runs from the hip to the ankle. You can overuse it and really develop some serious pain. Rest, elevation, heat and massage are what my PT recommended.
 
. . . and Celle is so right - don't go thinking you have it -you'd know. It hurts enough that you'd have asked someone. :heehee:
 
@Liam, it's exactly as Phrog described and it creates mild to severe pain on the outside of the knee. In my case, it was severe and I needed to go back to crutches for 6 weeks; ugh! It's a different sensation than the typical post TKR pain, with each step being quite limpy. The *cure* is rest, rest, rest...more rest, ice, ice, more ice, and some massage (later) and gentle stretching (later). It's very common post THR, not sure about the incidence post TKR.
 
thanks @Celle and @phrog ~ i checked out the link and not sure if i have it or not. i think i'm becoming de-sensitized to the aches and pains. in any case, it's not driving me crazy so i'll take that off my worry list.:SUNsmile:
 
@liam2015: Good plan!! Really, you'd likely know. My pain was mainly on the outside of the knee, but also up the outside of the thigh. The PT caught what it was right away. He had me icing at the knee and using heat on the thigh. And using the rolling pin - on the thigh. Felt like I was making pie and not getting to eat it.
 
Agreed with everyone else - I've had IT issues a couple of times prior to my TKR - thought my hip was done for - limping terribly. Spent some time stretching and using the foam roller (ouch) and it went away. Now about this blasted kne ,,,,:good-bad:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom