THR philau43's recovery thread<

Great to hear how great you are doing...lots of improvement still to come.
When you aren't going warp speed, you can still assume the position..:ice:
I did after long days.

You have done so well and I hope all continues to get better and better.:egypdance:

Sounding good! 95% isn't too shabby, especially before the 6 month or even a 12 month marker.
Congrats! I'm wondering how your mom is doing with hers? I hope she is progressing well, too.

New Years Eve - the last day of New Hip Year. The discomfort and pain I was experiencing 12 months ago has now all gone. Whilst not quite back to normal, nor yet at the ‘forgotten hip’ stage, I am but pretty close. Wishing a happy New Year to all my hip supporters and thank you for all your kind words and advice earlier this year - Bonesmart certainly helped my recovery enormously. Ps Mum’s hip recovery has gone remarkably well also - brilliant for an 81 year old.

:wave:@phillau43
Glad you and your mother are going into the new year Hip Happy.
2020 will be great!!!:happyfeet:

Happy New Year! @phillau43
It's nice to read your wonderful update and so encouraging to learn your mom has made great progress. May 2020 be a wonderful year for you both. Many blessings to you!

:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

Some friends and I were recently talking about how lucky we are to live in a time where we can get major joints replaced as we age. In times not that long past the joints didn't last as long, and typically they would not do surgery on folks as old as your mother. And now, they replace joints with devices that can last 20-30, and are willing to operate on much older folks in order to alleviate their pain and allow them to be more active. So good to hear that both you, and your mom are thriving:)

Update - rather to my surprise I’ve been experiencing some occasional mild pain and discomfort around my new hip area. Nothing as debilitating as the pre hip op pain but I confess to being surprised and slightly concerned. I suppose I’d hoped to have reached the fabled ‘forgotten hip’ status by now but it appears not to be. I can’t pinpoint when I am getting pain and relating it to a set of circumstance, but it is a little like a stiffness in the muscles around the joint causing me discomfort. I’m guessing this might be normal?

Hi @phillau43
Certainly can be...I know I had come and go tenderness for well over a year...
I found it hard to pinpoint if certain activity or over activity was causing discomfort, as it often didn't hurt until I stopped.:unsure:
I found a particular pair of shoes and my gait while wearing them to be the culprit at one point.
I would ice and rest my hip...yes, even this far out...when it complained.
Will you have a one year follow up?

Hi @Mojo333
Thanks for the reply. I will have a 12 month follow up and the surgeon said he would also X-ray at the same time. I suppose I thought it would all be one way traffic once life returned to normal so I’m a bit surprised to get these aches and twinges. I’d forgotten about the ice trick - good advice. Thank you.

Your welcome! You could always discuss PT with your OS at your follow up visit and have them assess your gait and any weaknesses they may suspect that are leading to discomfort.
The caveat is targeted issues and not aggressive PT, in my opinion.
I saw improvements well over a year but I can still aggravate my hip especially with excessive lifting of heavy objects or over activity out of the norm.

Thanks again @Mojo333. Life has returned to normal over the last few months and I have paid little or no attention to the fact I had a THR last May. I may be guilty of unconsciously over doing it given the circumstances. Perhaps I need a reality check and the pain/discomfort is a way for my body to remind me to take it steady. If only I would listen....

Hello @phillau43
Happy One Year Anniversary!
Hopefully all is going well for you. Wondering if you had your one year follow up yet?
We‘d love to read an update if time allows.
Here’s to you - steadier, stronger and better everyday!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kevin from PA
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom