• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[TKR] Petrified's recovery thread^

OP
OP
Petrified

Petrified

Country
United States United States
For Josephine: :flwrysmile:

1. A four.

2. Oxycodone 5 mg/1-2 tablets every four hours as needed/5 mg-Immediate Release
Acetaminophen/1 -2 tablets 3 x a day (not to exceed 6 tabs in 24 hours)/500 mg.
Celecoxi/1 tablet 2 x a day/200 mg.
Aspirin/1 tablet x 2 a day w/food/325 mg.
Ferrous Sulfate x 2 a day/325 mg
Senna-S x 2 a day w/water/8.6 mg. - 50 mg.

3. Huge.

4. 94

5. Yes x 4 a day minimum/1 hour minimum.

6. Yes; almost every time I sit down.

7. LEVEL: 4-5/easy morning coffee/breakfast (cereal & fruit); Personal hygiene; laundry (including linens & towels); light surface cleaning; financial matters; light pet upkeep. Husband also helps keep things in check around the place, takes care of dinner menus and all dog-walking.

8. First week x 5 days; second week x 5 days. Exercise including at home PT*: yes. Ankle pumps; hip tightening; front/back/side leg lifts; knee straightening flexes (standing, lying on my back and/or sitting up in chair; foot/toe lifts; stairs (up and down x 1 a day using cane) thigh squats; 4/24: went for walk with PT outside for 1st time/600 yards using cane.

10. repetitions x12, once a day.

*Will begin out-patient PT: 5/7/2019.

Josephine, if you need me to be more specific, please let me know. Thanks.

Hello, Atlas aus! Nice to see you and thanks for stopping by and offering your support. You're very kind.:) :-) (: I've been reading your pre-op/recliner thread with much interest. :thumb:

Also, just to add some quick/general edification: I had my incision staples removed yesterday morning. Talked with the nurse - who also officially discharged me from in-home nursing care - about a rash that is now surrounding the incision area that I think is caused by the adhesive from the original surgical bandage. Wound is now covered in Steri-strips, but I am keeping it clean/dry and uncovered at the moment.

Also am using a topical over-the-counter cortisone cream to keep rash in check and help control the itching. This afternoon I scheduled an appointment with the NP at my surgeon's office for tomorrow afternoon at 1:15 to see if an antibiotic - even in cream form - can be of more help. As of today, 4 days since the appearance of this rash, I haven't been able to make much headway in clearing it up. :unsure: My husband will drive me there as I'm not allowed to drive yet.

Will try to catch up here, once again, tomorrow. It is 9:43 pm. I am 13 days post-op... and I'm ready to :ice:and rest for a bit. :yawn:

Good night, all... sweet dreams.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Petrified

Petrified

Country
Quick update:

Canceled todays PT visit.

Went to surgeon's office yesterday afternoon and was seen by a PA. This rash is, either, an allergic adhesive reaction or an adhesive irritant reaction. Neither of us knows which. After some discussion, my steri-strips were removed, incision/rash area cleaned and then covered with nonlatex gauze and a nonlatex-type ace bandage. Rash itched fiercely and was quite angry looking. PA told me I am the second person in less than two weeks to come there with this problem. She knew it had something to do with the Aqua-cel bandage as soon as she saw me; rash is almost the exact size and shape.

Also received a prescription for something called Hydroxyzine HCI/1 tablet 3 x day w/1 refill and I started it last night. Keeping incision/rash area clean using warm water via the shower and after the air dry, it stays uncovered overnight. If I cover it, it's during part of the day and I use a warm water compress, air-dry it and cover the whole thing with a clean nonadhesive gauze pad and nonadhesive wraparound bandage for part of the day.

Good news, though... rash has at least stopped spreading as of tonight. Bad news, medicine makes me tired and I'm afraid to interact it with the oxycodone. True, no one said I couldn't, but I'm feeling uncomfortable about doing this.

For now, I will hit the shower, get ready for bed and then take my new medicine. :zzz:

It is 9:51 pm and I am 15 days post-op. I hope this makes some kind of sense, and please excuse any grammatical errors.

Enjoy the weekend.

Last edited:

Celle

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
8/9. First week x 5 days; second week x 5 days. Exercise including at home PT*: yes. Ankle pumps; hip tightening; front/back/side leg lifts; knee straightening flexes (standing, lying on my back and/or sitting up in chair; foot/toe lifts; stairs (up and down x 1 a day using cane) thigh squats; 4/24: went for walk with PT outside for 1st time/600 yards using cane.

10. REPETITIONS x12, once a day.
Josephine is away for a while, so I'll comment that most of those exercises are too much for your knee. It needs time to heal before you stress it with all those exercises. Right now, all you need to do is walk around the house a few times each day.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

FCBayern

Country
@Petrified if you are concerned about drug interaction call your Pharmacist, they are the experts on drug interaction.

Josephine

FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I need more detail and to have my questions followed as requested

Can I just point out here that ROM (range of movement) isn't just flexion.
It's actually BOTH flexion and extension.
8. First week x 5 days; second week x 5 days. Exercise including at home PT*: yes. Ankle pumps; hip tightening; front/back/side leg lifts; knee straightening flexes (standing, lying on my back and/or sitting up in chair; foot/toe lifts; stairs (up and down x 1 a day using cane) thigh squats; 4/24: went for walk with PT outside for 1st time/600 yards using cane.
repetitions x12, once a day
Please answer as requested which was
please make a list and not an essay
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each​

OP
OP
Petrified

Petrified

Country
Gosh it feels like forever since I was last here. I know I'm starting week 8, day 1 today... so here's a quick update.

Muscles are still stiff and painful, but then, with no warning, they will just relax - for a too brief window of time - and I can, in that moment in time, see more clearly what all this has been for.

I work on them every day through massage and PT at home and as an outpatient still (twice a week). Had an appointment with my regular provider who has been monitoring my progress since the beginning and I'm grateful to have him. He checked my incision today and even though it still has a few pinholes he says it's coming along nicely, but would like me to use Vitamin E on it instead of Vaseline. Also, I saw a dermatologist two weeks ago regarding the bad rash caused by the original aqua-cel dressing and she prescribed a steroid ointment which I still use once a day and I'm happy to say much of the rash has now cleared up.

I had a PT session yesterday and was given 2 new exercises. I cannot swim yet as incision is still not quite healed but I can bend at 127 and knee extension is still at 0. Also started driving this week and decided to see my chiropractor for some upper and lower back issues, so I told my husband I wanted to drive there... and, I did it! Yay!

I'd like to say it doesn't hurt much, but that's not true... it most definitely hurts. Some days, some, others :hairpulling: and I can get very emotional at times, still. As for sleep, sometimes I wake up 25 times a night, sometimes less. Have not slept through the night yet, though. Can lay on left side for longer periods, however. Tried laying on my right side for the first time night before last and I lasted - I think - about 10 minutes before I curled up like a slug in a dish of salt water. Will try again, though.

I'm working on getting well every day in one way or another and will try and do another update soon. In the meantime, I hope each new day brings everyone here closer to a full and lasting recovery!

Josephine

FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Petrified would you address the points I wanted clarification on in my last post?
Then I can answer your responses to my questions.

OP
OP
Petrified

Petrified

Country
That's very kind of you to offer again, Josephine but. no thank you. I'm pretty well settled into a routine that seems to be working for me at the moment.

Regards,
Polly

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Connitta
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags