Hi
Josephine, thanks for the replies - really appreciate it especially as I have no experience whatsoever is looking at xrays!!!
I am glad that most of the other lines are not a concern - I did notice that they hadn't progressed but thought they may have had something to do with the weakening of the bone.
I failed to notice however the remodelling of the bone when the Lima stem was in place - the screw I meant by the way was the bit jutting out of the top of the stem near the greater trochanter - apparantly that was flush at time op op and was backing out over time!!! So a few more questions if you don't mind and have the time to answer them!!
(1) Have you hear of this type of prosthetic the LIMA modular Stem - I was concerned when I read on the National Joint Registry that they were used in less than 3% of total TH Revisions in 2011 and that they have no ODEP rating at all being as they only came on the market in 2010!!!!
(2) A few questions re the fracture to date on the 1/3/13 xray -
(a) what type of Fx is this - a transverse, spiral ,comminuted??? I can't decide and therefore cannot choose out of the research I have the best future treatment....
( b) is classed as a Fx of the proximal or distal femur? I thought proximal in which case its the Vancouver system that should be used to classify it ?? and would you class this is a Type 2 a - stable stem, type 2b - unstable or Type 2c - unstable and loosening. Doesn't look look a 2c but how could we tell if it was loosening apart from really during an operation to revise it?
(c) in your opinion do you feel that type of Fx should have been fixed by ORIF / replacement stem or in your experience have you ever come across anyone who has NOT had this fixed by ORIF ? and if so what is the likely success rate or complications?
(d) can you tell form the xrays the length of the Lima stem compared to the Exeter in place? I am concerned again about the gap underneath the plug where the Lima stem was - would it not have been prudent to revise it to a similar length stem rather than a shorter stem? Can't find any literature to support the shorter stem?
(3) Dad's now walking about the house on two crutches partially weight bearing - not toe touching - I presume that this is ok as he is not experiencing any pain at all. I would have thought he should have a protected brace on at the very least???
(4) Personally I think that the consultant does not want to operate again so soon after the last one or is worried about the potential of a future op causing more Fxs and is hoping that the Fx will heal enough to allow dad to walk with one stick - I am however a little concerned about his future especially regarding the possible knee replacement which is needed!!! Do you feel ( and I will not hold you to anything) that we should go for a second opinion outside the region?
Once again sorry about the long post - we have another appointment on May2nd and I want to be prepared!!!