TKR PCL release post TKR<<

Hi @IronGirl6
I just saw your post about feeling like a criminal, and yes, I think that’s how all good responsible patients feel as they try to manage their pain. I know it’s the same where I am, my OS prescribes five days of opiod pain relief. Yep, 5 days, that’s not a typo.
I suspect actual criminals have no conscience whatsoever about pleading their case for more drugs.
Congratulations on getting through week 1, it’s a mind-blower!:dubious:
 
I am surprised your doctor thinks you need to go to pain management, but maybe he is one of those doctors afraid of being pegged for handing out oxy. At one week ,I think it’s really too early to cut pain meds, and hopefully the pain management doctor will agree. I know my doctor gave me one weeks supply of oxy (I took 5 mg. Every 4 hours) and at start of second week I called for more , which I got no problem. It was week 3 before Tylenol and ice was my main pain releaver. Be nice if the surgeon could experience TKR, then maybe wouldn’t be so quick to pull the big guns in the pain management arena
 
Thank you all again, nice to feel that I’m not nuts. Pain manangement is a BIG deal. And since I’ve had a bad knee for 16 years, surgically caused bone on bone for a decade, perhaps it’ll be more of a healing curve? That and general vs the spinal anesthesia? I don’t know, just read the article about putting surgery off vs complications. In the end it’s all subjective, isn’t it?

Need to give my hubby a super shout out. We’ve been married almost 10 years, this is ortho surgery #6. Not only does he take care of everything - including our horses - while I’m down, he can somehow find me attractive in bandage / compression tube / on a walker / no makeup. He’s not always an angel, but in times like this he really earns his halo and good karma. I am humbled by it really.

Had bit of a sadness breakdown... combo of “did I do the right thing?”, drastically lower meds causing some intense pain yet trying to do my modalities like a good patient, human feeling of helplessness... I’m used to people thinking I’m a force of nature. Guessing this is all normal. Can’t wait to read this in 3 months after a 5 hour trail ride and hilly hike. While getting ready to go dancing. In kitten heels.
 
IronGirl6 it is an absolute crime that you are being put into this position. Every day I thank God that my OS believes in pain management through week 12. The opioid crisis in our country may be real however you didn’t turn your ankle, you had a joint replacement. I have transitioned from oxycodone to hydrocodone and will stay there until I no longer need it. I am sure you have read this many times, use caution with physical therapy. Listen to your knee it will tell you when you have pushed too hard. Other than pain management it sounds like you are on a good path.
 
Happy News:happydance: : saw my pain doc, who I hadn't seen in a long time - such a sweet smart man. He will keep me on percocet and help me taper down. :flwrysmile:He ALSO took me the heck OFF of this gabapentin poison - after my horrid experience yesterday I started researching that stuff - it is absolute toxic sauce! And it has abuse potential?! A few days if it helps, great. But they'd given me a months' worth and CVS was already texting me to see if i wanted a refill?!? So that's going going GONE... as is the blood thinner. He said at my age and because I'm already ambulatory, it was better to come off of it now safety wise. I couldn't agree more. :egypdance:

I actually took a few steps that felt "normal" today with the walker:wowspring:, and was able to take a few steps between recliner and where I have the CPM set up without any assistance! (Had hubby spot me). Comfort levels are coming back, I no longer feel frantic and freaked out.

In fact in SUPER happy positive news, I am realizing that as I walk, I can no longer HEAR myself walking as though I had rice crisps under my feet. No popping and locking when I move it in bed. And the pain doc was *amazed* at how little swelling I have for being 9 days post. (I am doing several massages for it per day with Arnica and CBD creams, alternating.)

Now I have to go create some good 70s outfits to go with the cane, cuz I think the walker is not long for this world. Will make a nice towel rack for the pool, right? :chuckmarch:
 
@IronGirl6 I'm so glad the pain management doctor realizes you need a little more time to taper from the Oxycodone, and it's appalling that your surgeon wanted to pass the buck on to someone else for this. :no-fin:

I'm counting my own blessings that my surgeon gives you the first week's prescription ahead of time, and the second week's prescription is handed to you when you leave, they just post-date it. That way I'm guaranteed 2 wks worth of Percocet (Oxy). If I have any issues, I have my recent bottle of Norco from Spring, so at least I won't be depending on just Tylenol in a pinch.

Granted, SOMEONE (meaning me!! :sigh:) decided to have my TKR this year to take advantage of my son's Christmas break. Yes, I get to deal with the 2 biggest American holidays during my first 2 weeks post-op, when everyone is taking time off. I guarantee I'll be better off than you were though, as my Dr's office gives you 90 days to get off all narcotics. I don't know how fast they cut down the Oxy, but I plan on asking at my pre-op appointment in 2 wks.

Also, I promise I didn't forget you. :egypdance:I've been coming and going 5 different times today, with a 6th still to come in an hour. If I'm not doing MY stuff, I'm "Mom---AKA Professional Chauffeur Extraordinaire!" ....we're hoping for a snow day tomorrow so we can all chill out at home. I'll try to email you back tonight. :)
 
Happy post - like tears in eyes happy - I’m walking more without as much need to lean / rely on assistance devices, got to 80 degrees comfortably on CPM (which I start low % each time and gradually raise it by 2-3% each time - sneak approach with lots of warm up time, seems to be working!), and I was able sit down and got close to normal bend at sitting. I’m 9 days post today. I don’t feel I’m pushing myself that hard, perhaps my poor leg is so happy after 16 years that it’s in on board like “let’s DO this”? I don’t really know what norms are, and know we aren’t supposed to compare... but I’m pretty darn happy!
 
Omg Yes.

# Bionic Chicks Unite
Dear members - please note that the use of hashtags on this forum is reserved only for the notification of rare conditions. Unlike Facebook or Twitter where it is used to alert another member. Here we use the @ symbol for that. So please don't use hashtags at all.
 
I think we should possibly create a sticky post about pain med planning for the boards so people can have this discussion and be clear going in. If I hadn’t happened to have known a pain management guy, I could be in a truly bad place right now!!! Since we are all so different, encouraging a plan seems smart?


@IronGirl6 I'm so glad the pain management doctor realizes you need a little more time to taper from the Oxycodone, and it's appalling that your surgeon wanted to pass the buck on to someone else for this. :no-fin:

I'm counting my own blessings that my surgeon gives you the first week's prescription ahead of time, and the second week's prescription is handed to you when you leave, they just post-date it. That way I'm guaranteed 2 wks worth of Percocet (Oxy). If I have any issues, I have my recent bottle of Norco from Spring, so at least I won't be depending on just Tylenol in a pinch.

Granted, SOMEONE (meaning me!! :sigh:) decided to have my TKR this year to take advantage of my son's Christmas break. Yes, I get to deal with the 2 biggest American holidays during my first 2 weeks post-op, when everyone is taking time off. I guarantee I'll be better off than you were though, as my Dr's office gives you 90 days to get off all narcotics. I don't know how fast they cut down the Oxy, but I plan on asking at my pre-op appointment in 2 wks.

Also, I promise I didn't forget you. :egypdance:I've been coming and going 5 different times today, with a 6th still to come in an hour. If I'm not doing MY stuff, I'm "Mom---AKA Professional Chauffeur Extraordinaire!" ....we're hoping for a snow day tomorrow so we can all chill out at home. I'll try to email you back tonight. :)
 
It was meant as a cute joke. Kind of a let down to see negativity after my happy progress post, but ok.

Dear members - please note that the use of hashtags on this forum is reserved only for the notification of rare conditions. Unlike Facebook or Twitter where it is used to alert another member. Here we use the @ symbol for that. So please don't use hashtags at all.
 
I think we should possibly create a sticky post about pain med planning for the boards so people can have this discussion and be clear going in.
If you look up at the upper page, there is a selection called 'pain management'. I joined Bonesmart six months before my tkr and read daily about the recovery process of probably hundreds of threads. Each one of us has our own unique recovery and painful process. The more knowledge a person has going in, the better prepared we are.

I don’t feel I’m pushing myself that hard, perhaps my poor leg is so happy after 16 years that it’s in on board like “let’s DO this”? I don’t really know what norms are, and know we aren’t supposed to compare... but I’m pretty darn happy!
By the way, at 9 days out you are doing fantastic! You have every reason to be happy! 80 degrees at 9 days is wonderful!
 
I really need to use my laptop more so I see more of these things - and the super fun emojis! I’ll check the pain board section out - thanks!

Had a crazy day - tried to go to a biz meeting at clients home - their “handicapped” ramp was about a 12% incline... I tapped out at about 20 yards, tears in my eyes... thankfully we are friends and they came to meet me at the car instead. Ouchie! No more incline / decline for me for a while.

Then I had my first in home PT. Gentle but serious, we put in some real work. He respected my boundaries (that I learned here - yay!), fixed a gait issue I was developing before it became habit, and at the end it was a little easier to bend my knee. A smidge mind you, but noticeable!

On the beloved ice machine now, relaxing the rest of the day. Still amazing that the “captain crunch” sound is all gone! The haze is clearing, and I can see a pain free life around the corner. Now THAT is a Thanksgiving to reckon with!
 
Motion / weird sensation???? Hi again. Still feel I’m doing well, have had friends visit who seem surprised at my abilities still not 2 weeks post op. However, I have had a few funny feelings - like something moving on rare occasion in the knee - today it happened (just walking in house w walker) and now I have the sensation of a slight sprain through the center of my knee. Ice machine ON.

Is that normal? Nerves coming back? Tendons / ligaments finding their new space in the world? My home nurse said it was normal, thought I’d ask y’all. I’m also getting weird sensation of a hot metal rod going through my knee / shin at times, which is truly creepy - muscle memory of surgery perhaps?

Still taking one 10/325 Percocet - every 4-5 hours now. When I try to take half to titrate down, an hour later I feel a big knee pain that’s really creepy. Hoping it’s normal at this point? I’ll keep trying to titrate down and see how it goes.

Also having mid-sleep knee pain now that I quit setting an alarm to wake up to take meds. Wake up 2:30 can’t sleep again til 5. Trying melatonin but it doesn’t cover the mid sleep ouch. I should add that I’ve been fortunate to be sleeping in our bed since day 1, so I think this is normal too. Using combo of bolster / bolster pillow / nothing - resting @ different angles. If anyone has advice on this I’d love to hear.

My two week follow up / staple removal is this Wednesday - which will give me much to celebrate for Thanksgiving! I know this is all a process to get to an end equating pain free life. Working on accessorizing my cane now...

How are the other Nimbles doing?
 
I’m also getting weird sensation of a hot metal rod going through my knee / shin at times
I remember those well! Those sensations are probably nerves reattaching. We call them zingers. Sometimes mine would be so bad my leg would actually jump up. That was a double ouch! OS says they are completely normal.
 
This message is directed at @Josephine - might be helpful for all of us:

I’ve been reading a lot of your great advice in threads - wonder if there’s an existing thread on the gym and TKR after healing is done? After reading about the torsion of a leg press being harmful I would like to know your views. I’m an ex-power lifter (with zero desire to return) and I was planing on creating a new routine of body weight only moves along with reformer Pilates.

Also want to work toward putting my leg in a stirrup again as I’m an equestrian who’s used to riding 4-8 hours at a time, doc said this would happen eventually.

FTR I’m planning on doing self pool therapy when cleared too - might be helpful to discuss for those with gym memberships or who live in So Cal like me with a pool heater and temps that rarely see below 60. I bought the recommended TKR book on Amazon - Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation: The Knee Owner's Manual.

Would love to know if you approve of the book and which modalities you think are better than others?
 
wonder if there’s an existing thread on the gym and TKR after healing is done?
Nope, sorry!
I was planing on creating a new routine of body weight only moves along with reformer Pilates.
Can't comment there either.
Also want to work toward putting my leg in a stirrup again as I’m an equestrian who’s used to riding 4-8 hours at a time, doc said this would happen eventually.
That's a question I can answer! There's no reason you can't do that but not until about 6 months out and after the pain, swelling and other discomforts are completely gone!
I bought the recommended TKR book on Amazon - Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation: The Knee Owner's Manual.Would love to know if you approve of the book
Actually no I don't because it stresses all the exercises and activities that I disapprove of - see here BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

Currently we promote The Joint Kitchen by Dr. Michael Ries
 
I also wonder what "gym life" will be like after my TKRs are complete next summer. I'm one of those that love working out and lifting weights, though I've moved to doing mostly strength training with body-weight exercises the last 5-7 yrs.

My problem is I have THAT body type that can't slim down with just cardio :bored:, so I wonder what will be safe with my new knees. I've always needed a decent amount of strength training to stay at a healthy weight and normal size (typical size 10-12 woman). I'll be interested in seeing if anyone else offers up ideas....
 
Iron girl, I am an old jock, and for me that meant sports, and more sports. I was into weights early on ,but for me it was more cardio based exercise ,ie basketball, racquetball tennis. That said I can not sit around and do nothing , so I read a lot of the threads on here,some letting things heal in time and some doing a more active approach, like I chose. At week 1 ,my flex was 75, extension 8. At week 10, flex is 130 plus and extension 0. Since week 8 I have played 9 holes golf , and pickleball 2 to 3 days a week. I have no pain or swelling before or after. I did home pt 2 to 3 times a day , heel slides, extensions , leg lifts first 3 weeks ,then went to outpatient pt 2 days per week,and kept up home exercises which increased in intensity as weeks passed. I just stopped going at week 9. I chose that route and it worked for me big time. I was also prepared to pay the price if it didn’t . By that I mean it could just have easily kept my knee from healing asquickly and dragged out my recovery. I believe I am one of the lucky ones that recover quicker than most, and no reason why. You are unique, and only you can decide which path you want to take, doing little or no aggressivept, or testing the waters and let your therapist send you down the path they think works.

Either way I do believe your body will recover and be fine , as most of the long term bonesmarties can tell you.
It’s your body and your call, just read as many threads as possible, and they should help you decide.
 
I’m the same - however my doc said I’d return to BW squats and lunges, *maybe* a 45lb bar. (My max in my prime was 705). Prudent diet and some creativity - like the bike set for some challenging hills (after we are 100% healed up) will keep the lower body tight and keep muscle on.


I also wonder what "gym life" will be like after my TKRs are complete next summer. I'm one of those that love working out and lifting weights, though I've moved to doing mostly strength training with body-weight exercises the last 5-7 yrs.

My problem is I have THAT body type that can't slim down with just cardio :bored:, so I wonder what will be safe with my new knees. I've always needed a decent amount of strength training to stay at a healthy weight and normal size (typical size 10-12 woman). I'll be interested in seeing if anyone else offers up ideas....
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom