Guest viewing is limited

TKR PCL release post TKR<<

Congrats on a great start to your recovery journey!

I’d like to be somewhat aggressive with PT, but also focus on the therapeutic parts since I’m good at the other stuff.

but pushing boundaries is how I GOT the bad knee in the first place. So, I want to get some good work in and improve w these visits, but not at the demise of my sanity, or pushing pain on a joint that already feels blown up like a balloon...

Your words reveal that tough, laser-focused athlete in you that pushes through all odds to reach your objective, while also revealing the part of you that wants to be patient and do the right thing. Like softtail said, two steps forward one step back can be par for the course, especially for a competitive individual. Don't be surprised if those two internal opponents come to blows and leave you feeling frustrated with yourself and your progress at times. The "no pain MORE gain" mindset rules the TKR arena, and it can be challenging to accept, but it's so true!

So while your recovery could absolutely be one of those amazingly rapid, smooth-sailing stories (and I hope it is!), it might just be average, slower, hard-fought, or something else entirely. Whatever it ends up being is OK. Thankfully, it's not a competition against yourself or anyone else. And the best part is you don't have to go it alone! The BoneSmarties are here for you every step of the way! :hi:
 
I learned the hard way because I’m boneheaded:
Work on the swelling then the pt.
Pt only makes the swelling worse.

I remember as a kid (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) when I made a funny face and crossed my eyes. My mother always told me “your eyes will be stuck like that!”
Never happened and neither will you knee be stuck at present ROM.

It’s so early. Let the knee heal more before Pt.
 
Thank you Beechy & TeeCup! Your words mean so much. I’ve gotta get my spine recovery mindset going here (ADR lumbar ‘10 cervical ‘17) and stop this shamed feeling I’ve carried all these years for these knee injuries and now this. Hope I’m making sense I’m on the early am pain meds...

I’m totally cool healing on a normal schedule, my body really needs love and care after everything I’ve been through - not really boot camp. Work is fine, pain I’ve got the t-shirt.

I’m doing remedial reading on some of your recovery stories - I’m so grateful for each of you. Thank you so very much!!!
 
I’ve gotta get my spine recovery mindset going here (ADR lumbar ‘10 cervical ‘17) and stop this shamed feeling I’ve carried all these years for these knee injuries and now this. Hope I’m making sense I’m on the early am pain meds...
Let's hear it for pain meds!:yay: And you said it. ..no shame! Your past experience will serve you well. You got this! :yes!:
 
@IronGirl6 I hear a lot of familiar things in your posts and I wonder if you think a lot like I do. :umm: It's almost like we can outsmart or outwork the knee problems and rehab if we just stick to our guns, do not give up, push harder and further, etc etc. It's like a constant battle so we don't let the knees win!!! Unfortunately, sometimes the knees DO win. :bored: Patience is then a necessity that absolutely drives me insane.

I know I have a big chip on my shoulder about not admitting my knees have gotten the better of me and forced me to slow down. I'm hoping my TKRs can help me resolve that and get back to living in stead of thinking about the knees constantly. :)
 
Omg Yes. I’ve pushed and prodded and ignored signs that I should slow down to the point of torture. I gave my knee a very light touch massage w arnica last night, sounds silly but I tearfully apologized to it for putting it through so much, promised that this new chance was going to be all about erasing what happened in the past... I think I needed that apology. Being nice to myself doesn’t always come so easily. Have you done yours yet, @Rockgirl4 ?
 
Well, I feel I made some great progress Sunday / post surgery day 5! First I checked back with my surgeon’s assistant, who is amazing... got the ok to take the pain meds a bit more to control pain. They’re doling out the meds in small amounts - not fun when it’s a 3-4 hour round trip in LA traffic for my husband, who’s already doing everything and working too... could the FDA please calm down when it comes to patients w real pain, especially fresh joint replacements?!?

Then, with my anger toward the PT they sent to my house yesterday to inspire me, I did my own PT and did so much better alone! I’ve trained and been a coach for over 20 years, and have worked in outpatient PT before, so I know how to be “gentle / firm” and get work done.

I did my CPM, even did a few comfortable reps at 70 degrees! Otherwise at 65. Bridges, added my cat as quad weight, not too shabby. Lifts and squeezes and all that jazz - check. Then, I got a cane from Amazon, which the therapists had both discussed w me beforehand - had a successful trip around the living room with it - so i think the walker may become a towel rack soon! I am able to walk taller now, working heel toe, and supporting my good knee w my sleeve previously used for my now healing knee. Just for safe keeping. It’s doing a lot of extra work right now.

My hubby got our walk in shower ready for me w a bar and all of my girl accessories, even lit a candle for me , and while challenging I was able to do it. Found standing with both legs slightly bent was a big deal to having endurance there. Also found what looked like a small step over was a large challenge - more rom training... it was quite a fun problem being in a tiny 1950s bathroom (instead of my huge bathroom w the tub / shower combo), with hubby and a walker, trying to get in and out made for an entertaining Sunday night!

Then our leg waterproofing didn’t pan out, because I was too paranoid to let hubby touch my leg as much as he needed to. So I changed the dressing myself, and put the god forsaken compression thigh high (is this what a TED is?) back on, ace bandage, sock... thank God I was Gumby before this procedure... I feel I should get some type of reward for being able to get back in that thing.

Went to sleep feeling accomplished.

OH - I need to ask if I can make this a diff post so more see this - RE inviting the poop fairy over? Stool softeners are good and I’m using them - but to actually GO here’s a secret - sugar free chocolate. It’s a miracle cure! 2-3 pieces (and NOT more or its trouble lol) and the next day I’m good! Tried some “skinny me” chocolate from amazon, people actually complained about the GI thing - sugar alcohols are fabulous laxatives. Another I like that’s cheaper and easier are sugar free Reece’s peanut butter cups. Most drug stores carry in the candy isle.
 
Are you saying you want your title changed? If so, what would you like it to be?
 
Thanks! I had meant to make my sugar free chocolate bathroom hint a separate post if it can help others - but I would change this post title to “IronGirl6’s Recovery” something like that. Many thanks!
 
Post Op drug question for y’all - in both of my spine procedures I’ve had Norco or the like for upward of 6 weeks post surgery. Happy to come off at the end, but also happy to be out of pain during the healing. My doc is now saying after 7 days we might take me from 10mg oxycodone, to Tylenol 3 w codine... that sounds like animal cruelty to me right now? I try to push meds to every 5 hours and walking gets excruciating. They’re discussing it now... I don’t want to be a baby or take too much, I also don’t want to be in a world of pain and lose the awesome progress I feel I’ve made in this week. Would value your experiences as a guide. Kinda scared.
 
Can you ask him to prescribe 5mg oxycodone instead of taking younoff completely? Also Tramadol along with Tylenol seems to work for many people.
 
We are mid debate now - praying for some sense with this. I’m not new to surgery and I had more than this for a scope! With the politics of this I feel like a criminal even discussing it, but geez this was massive trauma and i walk better with the stuff! Have no problem titrating down over next two weeks, and I have used tramadol w great success. But this doc already wants to send me to a pain management place “due to my other surgeries” - for which I need nothing because they were done right and feel amazing! I’m like, I did just have a surgery akin to remodeling a house 6 days ago, right? Am I crazy? I’ve never had an issue w post surgical medicine, I don’t get this. I feel so weird about it all. Sigh.

Can you ask him to prescribe 5mg oxycodone instead of taking younoff completely? Also Tramadol along with Tylenol seems to work for many people.
 
This is happening all across the country. Five years ago there was no issue at all with me taking oxycodone for over a month and I had no issue stopping when I didn’t need it any longer. But many here have dealt well with the Tramadol/Tylenol mix right from day one. This is a traumatic surgery, no question about it.
 
@irongirl 6 you are not alone! Your post made me smile. Around 1 week post op, I too was massaging my knee with CBD/ arnica ointment and I bent down and kissed it and promised it I would take good care of it. Ha.
As far as getting your prescription filled each state has their own prescribing limits but you should be able to get a refill for a 5 day supply after joint replacement surgery (which should be about 60 pills) in most states. I can’t see how any orthopedic surgeon would even suggest a TKR to be weaning pain meds before 4-6 weeks. That’s nuts!
 
@IronGirl6 I don't have my TKR until Dec. 18th. :bored: I am waiting, but NOT so patiently. I wish I could fast-forward the next few weeks and just get it done. I keep losing activities by the week, as my hamstrings are so inflamed and sick of putting up with my unhappy knees. I started having this issue last spring and worked it out with PT (lots of manual massage therapy and ultrasound), but this time I know it's not truly fixable until I get new knees.

I'm so sorry you're having issues getting your stronger pain meds. :bawl:I think it's completely ridiculous how surgical patients are being treated and expected to suffer because of mistakes Drs made in the the past. This is one reason I saved my Percocet from 3 yrs ago when I no longer needed it. My pharmacist said it should keep for up to 2 yrs if kept in a dark, cool place. I should be fine regardless, as my surgeon said I get at least 2 weeks worth of Percocet. I have Norco from last Spring's microfracture surgery (the other knee) that is still viable, but I'm simply not taking any chances. Missouri has really cracked down too, so I want to be prepared.

As for my earlier post about being kind to ourselves.....I don't think I'll have any problem taking care of my new knees and avoiding activities that might jeopardize them. I've spent too much time and energy overdoing instead of just maintaining, so I can't wait to just get back to living and no longer over analyzing everything. :)
 
My hubby FTW! He produced a bottle of Norco I’d squirreled away in our “earthquake kit”, so if this situation goes south I won’t be suffering. I’m still shocked though, I feel like a criminal because I want to be comfortable?! I had more meds than this after a *scope* - and like y’all I took my meds, did my therapy, and came off the meds.

In other world wide questions - did you guys keep the super sexy compression stocking on 24/7 for 2 weeks? It’s cutting off my thigh so bad it looks like an old fashioned cola bottle! I roll it down to massage arnica / CBD every few hours. Home nurse said I could sleep without it just the ace bandage - docs office said keep it on til follow up. I’m a big chick, this thing no bueno!

Also, what was the average rom % for those who used the CPM? Which I actually love. I find it comforting /‘relaxing - is that weird? It’s ok. I’m weird. According to machine legend I’m at a comfy 65 degrees, have seen a very snug 70.

Cannot get over the fact that the knee is so tight it feels as though I have 20 braces on it hindering motion!?!

Anyhow, the good news from my doctors office is that apparently I’m doing really well for my first week of recovery. I reiterated in an email that perhaps it was because, as an ortho surgery veteran, I was taught to stay ahead of the pain, stay in motion, then wean off and live a pain free life. Right?!?

Hope the other Nimbles are well! Thanks for everyone’s help / support. Y’all have been a great source of education and comfort through a very scary time for me.
 
Awesome stuff! My squirreling may save my bootie too! I have heard horror stories about cancer patients not getting their meds, which is INSANE... and so is wothholding from a major surgery patient.

I felt like you did - my sept surgery got postponed due to an accident that left me w 3 broken ribs and a massively contused hip. My last few weeks were horrid - crunching dust in there as I did as much as possible before the downtime. But it’s good to feel in your heart that it’s really TIME. No it couldn’t wait another year for me to be able to swim and bike - both were excruciating!

For me it’s been my L calf that got limitingly painful - I believe the soft tissue was doing it’s best to hold my 0 sum meniscus knee together. Amazing how our bodies continue to try to take care of us, even when abused in the name of sports! Nice to be entering into my “good to self” era! Going to become the cycling and Pilates QUEEN.
 
@IronGirl6 Talk about knowing when it's time!! I've never been so sure of anything in my life except when I married my husband.

Unfortunately, then I go out in public and have it thrown back at me, resulting in days like today where I switch between acceptance and anger. :hairpulling: I was at the gym earlier tonight and ran into a couple of friends. They had heard from a different friend about my upcoming TKR and asked why I was getting a knee replacement if I could still go to the gym and go trick-or-treating with my son (we were discussing our kids' individual candy hauls from Halloween). They were "kind of" joking, but they both made a comment about doing it too young and only when you're desperate. Apparently limping out of the gym isn't desperate enough (from only 1 attempted exercise--then I admitted today was NOT a good day to try this). Nor is taking 2 days to recover from 1 night of trick-or-treating.

So apparently not only are we on the verge of being pill-popping addicts:no-fin:, but we're also trigger happy, surgery-seeking wimps who can't take a little more pain.:headbang: I can't figure out when WE became the enemy somehow....

Sometimes I feel like I just can't win. I purposely haven't told many people about this MAJOR step in my life because we've had so much "knee" drama the last 3 yrs, and I didn't want people thinking I was an attention-seeker. It's nice to come here though and know everyone gets it--regardless of age, race, gender, pain levels, etc.

Forgive my rant! Somehow when I come across another person about my age, going through the same thing, I tend to just shout my emotions to the 4 corners!! :whistle:

I hope you continue to improve each day and not have to dip into your earthquake emergency stash too!!!!
 
OMG I have a new bestie! GIRL. I could tell 1,000 stories. But if a surgeon thinks it’s right AND insurance will pay for it at our age, well... get a clue people!!!! I’ve been limping to the gym, screaming in pain to attend events in what used to be comfy “sensible” kitten heels, can’t walk in sand, cant train how I used to, can’t train my horses in hand, etc etc etc... when I couldn’t swim this summer, then the stationary bike started to bring me to tears... ENOUGH.

To the people who say we will be in trouble at our revision in 20+ years, I remind them we didn’t have smart phones 11 years ago. It’s called technology - joint replacement is already so advanced from a decade ago, perhaps in 2040 they’ll be able to redo worn out parts athroscopically? Who knows? I just knew I didn’t want to wait 20 years to be free of this fluctuating extreme pain and sometime disability.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
URGENT NOTE: :shocked:I do not think norco agrees with gabapentin.:yikes: I'll find out more tomorrow from the doc, but I had a scary incident today when I switched over from oxycodone (yesterday) to norco (today) due to the doc not wanting to allow my Rx to continue. I thought I was being responsible creating a decent time window between meds. :thud: Quite horrid. Almost wound up at the ER. That bottle goes RIGHT back into the earthquake stash. Seeing a pain management doctor tomorrow. :hissy:

Is it dumb for me to feel bad and mad about all of this? :hairpulling:I'm such a responsible patient, now I feel like a criminal - and this morning was really scary. Will post more when I find out more. Good time to hop around and do some PT. Calms my nerves better than any of this gabapentin ****. :tantrum2::hissy::gaah: (first time on the forum from my laptop instead of my phone - fun emojis!) Thank GOODNESS I still have a little oxy left. Oy vey. Oh and PS: yay me, I lived through week 1 of TKR recovery. :tiredwheel:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom