• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

TKR Pattikakes Recovery

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
so I gave in and used just a little neosporin around the edges to alleviate a bit of the dryness.
Please don't use Neosporin. It's an antibiotic and should only be used if you have an infection. Using antibiotics when they're not needed is one reason why we currently have a proliferation of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

OP
OP
P

Pattikakes

Country
United States United States
I'm having an issue that I wonder if anyone has dealt with as well. My entire incision has healed very well except for one little spot at the knee bend and it seems like just as it starts to look like it's drying up and beginning to heal, I go to PT and it starts to look open again. I think some of the exercises are putting too much strain on that part of the knee right now and causing it to reopen. Has anybody had a similar situation and would you refuse those exercises until it's fully healed? My PT is going pretty well for the most part just a lot of emphasis on the bending lately.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
My entire incision has healed very well except for one little spot at the knee bend and it seems like just as it starts to look like it's drying up and beginning to heal, I go to PT and it starts to look open again. I think some of the exercises are putting too much strain on that part of the knee right now and causing it to reopen. Has anybody had a similar situation and would you refuse those exercises until it's fully healed?
If the PT exercises are causing your incision to re-open, then don't do them. That's common sense and if your PT therapist can't see that, she/he isn't doing a good job.
It's your knee and you have the right to say what happens to it, so just quietly say "I'm not doing those exercises until my incision is completely healed."
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Your therapist has an agenda and wants to be able to show that she/he has caused your bending (flexion) to increase rapidly. That may not be the best thing for your knee.
There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

In any case, it's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your knee is capable of achieving good ROM right from the start and ROM will increase naturally, as your knee heals and the internal and external swelling decrease.

sistersinhim

Country
I think some of the exercises are putting too much strain on that part of the knee right now and causing it to reopen.
If these exercises are causing your knee to open up some, then it's not healed enough to be doing those. Please don't do them until your knee has no negative reaction to them.

OP
OP
P

Pattikakes

Country
Well today I finally found out what was causing the one small spot in my incision not to heal and continue to drain. Evidentally, an internal stitch had come loose and surgeon proceeded to remove it from inside the wound. Thank God, he doesn't seem to feel that there's any infection but will do an out patient procedure next week to clean out and restitch. Also, put me on Keflex for a week just as a precaution. I wonder how often and how this happens.

OP
OP
P

Pattikakes

Country
I haven't posted in a while since having the problem with one area not healing. I ended up back in surgery on Oct. 8th to have I & D and cultures to see what was going on. Thank God, no infection. The doctor is not sure what caused the area not to heal. Perhaps the loose stitch, maybe a little too strenuous PT that caused that area to open up. I definitely am very grateful no infection; however I am dealing with a new incision about 4 1/2" long, stitches and energy drain all over again. Fortunately, the improvement in the knee doesn't seem to be affected at all. I guess that's what they meant when they said that healing from TKR was a roller coaster ride.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
BowieFan
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom