PKR Patella femoral recovery'

Icing and resting is the best thing for you today. I hope you feel much better tomorrow.
 
Just a quick question - when i am walking i am getting a clicking sound from my knee (i can also 'feel' it clicking as well) - is that normal?
Thanks
 
I still hear and feel a clinking sound even though it has been three years. Of course, not having a kneecap to cover the sound makes it more noticeable. It's nothing to worry about.
 
I normally work full time plus mum of 3 so used to juggling lots of things and being in the go from the moment I wake up to I hit the pillow. At the moment I get up in the morning do a few little jobs around the house, maybe just walk around a little do my heal slides but then I am totally exhausted and fine myself falling asleep mid morning and again snoozing in the afternoon and by the evening struggling to keep my eyes open.
I know that you are expected to be tired due to healing but is this level normal . I guess I though bro g 48 generally fit and healthy I would ping back quicker??
 
This is a major surgery. It's not something you can bounce back from in a few days. On average, it takes a year to recover, although by three months most people are feeling much better. You're just past two weeks in this 52 week recovery journey, so give yourself a break and don't pressure your knee to do more than it can at this point. Also, allow your body to heal; part of healing is sleeping more while your body is sending most of it's energy to the surgical site to heal it.

What do you mean by "little jobs"? I think you need to read the Activity Progression for TKRs again-if followed it keeps you from doing too much, or too little at any point in your early recovery. I read it every single day as a reminder.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-tkrs.14334/
 
First physio appointment today and glad to report it was fine. Physio just went over heel slides again and checked my rom (95/0) ... no pushing or pulling just letting me take the lead. Said I am doing fine and he will see me again in 2 weeks and for me just to continue as I have been doing.
So great we seem to have another physio who is not number obsessed ... maybe there is a tide change against aggressive physio slowly taking over :happydance:
 
I'm 46 and was "MEGA-fit" up through December of last year and "kind of fit" up until my TKR on May 21. :loll:Even with as healthy I was, after my May 21 TKR I slept constantly Weeks 1-3. Somewhere around the 3 wk mark, I realized I was much more alert and awake with maybe taking a 2 hr nap in the very middle of the day. I think you need to cut yourself A LOT of slack or risk slowing down your recovery.

There was also no way I could do the chores you were doing at 1-2 wks....I'm just now getting to where I can keep up with all of the dishes and laundry, sheets, and very basic cleaning. I know we're all different, but remember it's not a sprint---even if the rest of the world wishes we could speed things along. :)
 
So just an update on recovery as nearly 4 weeks in. Managed to go out last night over to some friends for dinner which was fantastic .. so nice to get out and get dressed up (no heels yet ha!!).
Also starting to wean off the tramadol during the day with just keeping the evening dose (still on paracetamol and naproxin).
Have managed to drive about 10 miles which is great as we are pretty rural with hardly any public transport so driving is essential.
So all in all really think I am getting there walking lots but want to start cycling soon.. I am going to try on a static next week to see.
I have been keeping an eye on the other sunbeams and some great recoveries out there .. thinking of you all .
 
Sounds like you're doing really well. :) It's ok to experiment to see what you can do, but don't worry if you find you're not ready for some things yet.
 
Slo update from week 5.

Had physio this week and now have s bend of 115 which he said was great and can fully straighten my leg, so we ventured onto the static bike and at first just peddled backwards but within s few mins was peddling forwards .. we only did a few rotations but I did it. I do not have. A static bike at home so will start using the one at my local gym .. just the bike for now nothing else.

Also had to drive more this week as different kids in different directions this week no other options so a 40min drive to drop off and then back home. It was a bit too much and was painful after but sometimes you have to do things even if not ideal .. i only had to do it for a few days now resting g it more.

My sick note runs out on the 19th July but I really do not feel ready to go back in a week ( the consultant advised 22 weeks but sick note is issued by gp! Do see the consultant on the 28th and have an appointment on the 28th with the gp to extend the sick note..? Hopefully but guessing the gp will be led by the consultant ?

Walking unaided in the house but using a crutch outside for balance ( fit bit saying about 5000 steps) as my quad on operated leg seems to have melted away.

So all in all getting there . As with it here’s just frustrated in how long thing take.. you move forwards then back a bit just inching along .. but as everyone says that’s the norm.:beg:
 
Last edited:
Could somebody change my thread name to 'Patella femoral recovery'- many thanks
 
Little pic of 5 weeks post op
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Patella femoral recovery'
    2517F98A-B0F2-4E0F-81A4-BAE53BC400A9.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 244
I am learning all the different types of replacements.

I now have 2 PKRs (R, 14 months and L,15 weeks ago), both laterals (outside) in both knees.

So, in a patellofemoral partial, do you get a kneecap implant?

You sound like you are coming along nicely, btw.
 
A patella femoral replacement they replace the groove of the femur and resurface with s metal part / they also take the back of the knee cap off and join a plastic ‘button’. So the plastic button then runs in the metal groove ... think only about 1 percent of replacements are patella femoral :)
 
Wk 6 update .. Had my 6 week check up with my os. He asked general questions about how I was feeling thing were going/ pain levels etc. Had a quick look at my bend which he estimated is approx 120, I am also walking with no aids now as well. We had a look at the x Ray taken post op which was interesting as he talked me through my old acl graft which obviously was showing on the x Ray which was really interesting.

I said to him I think I am getting there to which he replied you are much more than getting there you are much much more than getting there you are doing fantastically .. yay :dancy:.

So I now want to concentrate on building my quad up again in my operated leg (measuring 2 inches less than non operated at the moment. So riding a static bike at the gym and introducing some muscle strengthening exercises in as well :upright:OS has signed me off work for another 6 weeks so I can focus on the recovery which is great.

I have another follow up in 6 weeks to have another x Ray (will be 3 months then) and another chat with os.

I am even at this early stage able to do things I was unable to do pre op .. so ) weeks in and absolutely no regrets in having this op and only positives to say.. let’s hope it continues this way!!!!
 
So now just over 9 weeks post op.
Just came back from a weeks camping trip which was fantastic with the hubby snd kids. According to my fit bit we walked average 10-13 miles a day (costal paths) and I managed my first body boarding since the op yay:surfer:.
My knee was quite warm to touch and s bit sore but nothing horrendous .. I look back to last summer and could hardly do anything and now my knee is do much better than it was before. My next move is to buy a new bike and start to bike outside (been on the static .. about 7 miles a day) .
So all in all pleased with progress ..just hope it continues :happydance:
 
So... went For a costal walk with friends chatting and NOT concentrating on my knee i walked down the road and my operated leg went straight down a pit hole. My knee twisted in s way I thought was not humanly possible. Totally excruciating ,
The knee is swollen but not actually feel to bad .. my calf is double in size and a bruised ... do you think that’s ok just ice elevate etc? Or should I go to the go for a check up??? Thanks
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom