Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

Hi, because you are in-between procedures, and your appointment is in a couple of weeks do you think you should wait to decrease your pain meds until you can speak to your doctor? Maybe decrease only during the day? Can you email or call to get advice on what to do? Maybe you are overcompensating by favoring your bad hip causing your good hip to ache? Hopefully in a couple of weeks you will have your answers. It is always better to have a plan we can wrap our mind around. Best wishes.
 
I am sure I am going thru opioid withdrawal! Early morning around 4:30 am, I took 2 ES TYLENOL and a small glass of milk. Between going to the bathroom, I was able to sleep in the bed (I'm in the guest room, lower, firmer bed) until 8am.
Once up, loose stools.
Yesterday my dosage was like this: 7:30am 2 ES TYLENOL
1:30 pm 2 ES TYLENOL
6:00 pm 2 ES TYLENOL
10:00 pm 2.5 mg of Hydrocodone (1/2 of 5 mg Hydrocodone that has 325 MD regular TYLENOL), so 162.5 mg.
[Total TYLENOL: 3662.6 mg]
TERRIBLE NIGHT !!!

I think I am on the lowest dosage of Hydrocodone with the 2.5 mg. Maybe, I should alternate the 50 mg of Tramadol with the ES TYLENOL? I only have 6 tablets of Tramadol left.
I have a full bottle of Tramadol 50 mg from 2018...thinking of using those if I need to?
 
When the ambulance took me to the hospital , they gave me Fentanyl. Also, in the ER. Heavy pain meds until surgery the next day (barely touched the pain). Every time they took me for x-rays, CT scan, then an MRI of the spine it was just awful!!! I felt every bump.
I was in the hospital for 7 days, a first! Heavy-duty pain meds around the clock (morphine, which I finally couldn't take due to nausea); plus a general anesthetic.
YES, I am sure, I am in withdrawal.
 
@Cementless , can your doctor refer you to someone who can set you up with a plan and the right meds to get through this? You shouldn’t have to suffer as a result of painkillers given you to treat a painful condition- it’s not like you took those drugs for fun.
 
I was going to suggest nsaids, too.
I take 1 5mg hydrocodone with 325mg Tylenol. during the day with baclofen (muscle relaxer). Or, 1 baclofen with 400mg Advil. Depends on the day.

I couldn't take nsaids for years because they hurt my gut, but seems ok now. For me it works better than Tylenol.

I'm still taking 2- 3 hydrocodone a day with gabapentin 2x, baclofen 3x.
It takes some experimenting to find out what works.

I have resorted back to trazadone 50mg at night just because I was desperate for sleep.
Hang in there!
 
PS.....are you sure you're not having bursitis in your hip?
Beachy, that is where they (on of the incisions) went in to stabilize my broken femur.
Also, I cannot take nsaids (Advil) because I am on Eliquis 5 mg bid.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Partial Revision Failure
    20230105_153533.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Got it.
You've been dealing with so much for so long.
I remember you from the threads after your knee revision.
Hang in there:console2:
 
@Jaycey, I was prescribed 10 mg of Hydrocodone with 325 mg. of Tylenol on January 12 after I called the orthopedic dr. for more pain pills, 28 tablets plus 28 tablets of 50 mg of Tramadol. I was sent home from the hospital with JUST 20 tablets of 50 mg Tramadol! I could not believe they did not send me home with any Hydrocodone! Since I was there for 7 days on heavy meds. around the clock. An internist took over while I was in the hospital. I did not care for her.
My orthopedic dr. called in refills on 1-23-23 after I saw him to remove the dressings. He reduced the Hydrocodone to 5 mg with 325 mg of Tylenol.
For the past week and half, I have reduced my Hydrocodone to 2.5 mg. once a day, Tramadol 50 mg twice a day, 2 ES TYLENOL in-between. Just the last few days, 2 ES TYLENOL 3 X day, 2.5 mg Hydrocodone at bedtime with 500mg ES TYLENOL.
MISTAKE!!!
 
Sorry to hear of your sleep troubles. It really is the pits not sleeping. I sleep poorly anyway and my sleep is only now improving 14/15 weeks post surgery. I would definitely try to get some sleep meds from your GP like zopiclone ( which I have used successfully) or trazadone as @beachy recommended. Or you can buy over the counter sleep remedies. I have used herbal valerian or a sedative antihistamine. Or melatonin. All do work. Best if you vary it as you can get tolerance.
 
@EalingGran, I slept better last night because I added 50 mg of Tramadol back. My husband takes Trazodone for insomnia due to his Parkinson's. I already take Prozac 10 mg daily and would not feel comfortable adding Trazodone. I need to be awake at least every 2 hrs because of stress incontinence.
 
Glad to hear you had an improvement in your sleep. This is very critical. Sorry you're having a lot of challenges right now. Sending ((((HUGS)))).
 
@Jamie , a nurse friend of mine gave me some excellent advice: she told me to cut my 50 mg of Tramadol in half! That 25 mg of Tramadol is working for relief. I am already down to the lowest of the Hydrocodone 2.5 mg at night. Although, I waited 9 hrs. to take my night dose and I was pretty uncomfortable! During the day, I do 2 ES TYLENOL in-between the 25 mg. of Tramadol.
I'm hoping my internist will call in some more Tramadol...I have less than a handful left. Otherwise, I will have to contact my orthopedic dr. I don't need any Hydrocodone.
 
I sure like this new Orthopedic dr. Besides doing hip and knee revisions, he is a trauma surgeon! I NEVER will see Dr. Kreuzer again!!! He was the first one I called after I fell in the hospital and I could NOT get a live person in his office to answer my calls!!! To this day, he has not inquired how I am doing. That says alot about him. Very disappointed in his actions since he is the one that did my revision in 2018. I just saw him in person on December 1, 2022.
My new ortho is young. Maybe 40 years old and a good listener. He did a fellowship at Duke University. My best friend's daughter works there and admired him when he did his fellowship. He got awards in trauma surgery.
 
More thoughts on pain medication: I think last night (Feb. 18) was to be my last night on opioids. I had a 25 mg of Tramadol at 7 pm and 2 ES Tylenol at 9:30 pm. I had restless leg syndrome until about 1 am, then I took 2 ES Tylenol at 3 am.
Today, (Feb. 19) 2 more ES Tylenol at 10:40 am.
It is 2:30 pm, and my body aches but the pain is tolerable.
I'm already looking forward to more ES Tylenol 2 between 3-4 pm.
I'm wondering if I should take a Celebrex or 1/2 Klonopin to ease the symptoms ? I have a prescription for both but have not taking any because of the opioids. Any thoughts?
I hate opioids!!!
 
I agree with Jockette that you need to talk over options with your doctor or pharmacist. Please don't just guess or do trial and error without this discussion.
 
Success! I did it my way!!! Off opioids since the 18th!!! Now just on ES TYLENOL every 6-8 hrs as needed. I have been taking 1/4 of a Klonopin 0.5 mg at bedtime. Feeling like my old self!!!
 
I’m glad to hear you were successful! Good for you. Sometimes we do know our bodies better than anyone else and this time it’s obvious you were able to listen to yours and get the job done. “Old selfs” are a good thing!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom