Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

@sistersinhim, thank you but I will be 75 years old in September and I have osteoporosis. I don't think I can handle 2 years trying to recover from another knee revision, that may or may not work.
 
1656254222128.png

The Ortho would have to remove the whole pressed fit knee implant which would only leave a sliver of the original knee cap thus I would have trouble bending my knee.
 
I can see what you are saying. But, you can have him remove the patella completely and you'd be fine. I have two knees with no kneecaps, even my TKR doesn't have a kneecap and it did fine.

I just hope you can get this fixed and you can have a rewarding life.
 
@sistersinhim : What can you do without a knee cap? Does your leg bend? Is your leg shorter?
My life is still rewarding. :)
 
I can do everything that everyone else can do and yes, my knees bend just fine. My height is the same as before the patellectomies. What is shortened is the patella tendon, that's all. That leaves my knees a little weaker than a person's with their kneecaps, but not enough to cause any big problems.

Having a rewarding life is a blessing. I'm glad your knee isn't affecting that wonderful part of it. It would be so much better if you could get rid of that pain!
 
very sensitive to any angle it doesn’t like
I know what you mean. I told my ortho that when I step off a curb, my knee feels like it wants to break in two!!!
It is the same if I wear different shoes that are higher and a different angle, like a platform type....my knee lets me know it right away.
He said it is my kneecap. :hairpulling:
 
I finally had the nerve to look up the ortho's notes from our last office visit and the new x-rays on the pt. portal (06/22/2022). He said, "Instructions Patient Specific Counseling: We had a lengthy discussion with the patient regarding her kneecap, it did confirm that it is cobalt chrome and she does have a nickel allergy. We do not believe that the small amount of nickel that is present in the kneecap is causing the symptoms that she is having and discussed with her that revision surgery would essentially obliterate her kneecap as there was significant osteolysis."
"SIGNIFICANT OSTEOLYSIS"! :censored::tantrum::gaah:
 
I think you'd be better off without that kneecap. Just my opinion. If it's the metal that is causing you all your problems, then you need to get rid of that cause. Again, jmo.
 
Either one is fixable, if you can find someone who'll do it.
 
I don't know. You should be able to find a doctor that will be straight with you. There's bound to be a kneecap button that doesn't have metal in it. How many second opinions have you gotten?
 
@sistersinhim , the kneecap will be obliterated if there is a revision, thus no patella button.
I'm not sure about a second opinion but I might ask my internist for a MRI of the left knee which my ortho did not offer.
 
You can still go for a second opinion if you wish.
 
Do you always have to be in an immobilizer for 6 weeks after your patella is removed? Do they always have to shorten your patella tendons? Is a patellectomy as painful as a TKR?
I wouldn't know the answer to whether everyone would have to wear an immobilizer or not. Every doctor and every patient is different. It makes sense to wear one so the patella tendon can knit together when shortened.

Yes, I don't see any reason for the patella tendon not to be shortened since it goes to the kneecap.
Without the kneecap there, the tendon is too long. In my left xray you can see the wire that the OS used to wire up the shortened tendon. This was done in '91. The right xray shows my left knee that had the kneecap removed in '90. A different doctor did this one and actually cut away the excess tendon material. This recovery was much more painful than the wired one was.

[Bonesmart.org] Partial Revision Failure
 
@sistersinhim , what do your knees look like now? Can you tell the kneecap is gone...is there an indentation? Do you have a limp?
 
Yes, I have about 1/4" indention in each knee. When I tell people that I have no kneecaps the majority of them don't believe me. Even one of the xray techs didn't believe me until she saw my xrays! I should have asked my OS what my knee looked like on the inside when he did the tkr. No, I have no limp since I recovered from the tkr. That took away almost all my pain. I'll still have flareups in both knees, especially during drastic weather changes or doing something stupid like running up and down ladders. But, I am much improved since the replacement. If you'd like to read my journey, here it is: My TKR with no kneecaps.
 
@Jaycey Question: I am going to ask my internist for an MRI of my Left knee to confirm the diagnosis of "significant osteolysis". Do I ask for with contrast or without contrast or both? Also, I want to know what is going on with the soft tissue around my knee. The ortho said, "it is the scar tissue". Surely, it is more than scar tissue...I think inflammation?
 
Last edited:
Hello Cementless,
Jaycey, has likely signed off for the day given the time difference in the UK.
If you do an online search you will find an abundance of information on the topic, MRI with / without contrast.

This is really a discussion that needs to take place between you and your physician since the decision may be based on your present condition as well as your medical and health history. I did read that generally non-contrast imaging is popular with most orthopedic studies, but this is still a conversation for you to have with your physician.

I‘m sorry you’re struggling with issues and hope you soon find answers and resolution.
Wishing you only the best! :)
@Cementless
 
:goodpost: I agree 100% with Layla. You need to discuss the x-ray with your doctor and let them make the decision on the type of procedure based on your own medical situation.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom