Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

I am 28 + months post L. knee revision. I am still having issues with my revision but there is NO WAY I would ever consider another surgery!!! I had a virtual visit on 2/9/2021 with my OS that did my revision on 10/03/2018. We came to the conclusion after x-rays/CT scans that the reason my knee cap always hurts is because, he left the TKR patella button in place during the revision because it tracked well. He and I both think my issue is an allergic reaction to the (nickel) in the posts to hold the patella button in place. I wear a knee brace to keep it stable at times and take Celebrex or ES Tylenol to control pain issues. What a bummer!!! He said if he took the patella button out, he would have had to remove more bone....that would cause more issues.
I am losing faith in doctors (OS)! :censored::nah::sad::shrug:
 
As I reading Jewlz1's post, I have a question about TKR: my twin sister has severe osteopenia and quite a lot of osteoporosis. She has severe scoliosis, bow legs and one knee that is bone on bone. Can one still have a TKR with these issues? She says she is not in any pain but walks with a severe limp. Her friends (and husband makes fun of her) are commenting. She is in denial. She is going to PT to try and strengthen her muscles and it was suggested she wear a brace on the bad knee. Will a TKR work in this situation?
 
I fell on July 20! I was picking up my 14 lb. dog from the vet. I had her under my left arm/hand along with her bed, my shoulder purse was on my right side. I went down a ramp toward my car and tripped over a lose brick in their flower beds, went down on my Revision knee!!! :banghead: I dropped my dog, the bed and my purse.....flat out on the concrete!!! It hit right on the left side of the revised knee. I could getup and walk away after a few minutes. My knee felt swollen, I iced it. I can feel "something" in my thigh/hip area/knee area. I am hoping I didn't break any bones and hope my implants are intact. I have sent a message to my internist for x-rays....she is easier that my OS. If something shows up then I will go to the OS.
 
I’m so sorry you fell, it‘s something I’m sure we all fear. Hopefully it’s “just” soft tissue damage. Keep us posted on how you‘re doing! :console2:

Was your dog on a leash? Did she stay close by?
 
By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you. You can always bookmark this thread so you can find it easily.

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
I'm sorry to hear about your fall. I hope things are okay. Those implants are tough and you've likely just received a lot of soft tissue damage that will heal.

As I reading Jewlz1's post, I have a question about TKR: my twin sister has severe osteopenia and quite a lot of osteoporosis. She has severe scoliosis, bow legs and one knee that is bone on bone. Can one still have a TKR with these issues? She says she is not in any pain but walks with a severe limp. Her friends (and husband makes fun of her) are commenting. She is in denial. She is going to PT to try and strengthen her muscles and it was suggested she wear a brace on the bad knee. Will a TKR work in this situation?

I'm also sorry you didn't receive any response for your question about your twin sister. Somehow we missed your post! In cases like this where there are other factors besides just a person needing a knee replacement, the best course of action is to see at least two or three surgeons to discuss a knee replacement. Of course, if she's in denial, that might be difficult to get her to go, but it's worth a try to get her to make appointments just for information, not necessarily for surgery. Can you accompany her to the appointment? Based on what you said about her husband making fun of her limp, it sounds like she could use some good support.
 
I’m so sorry you fell, it‘s something I’m sure we all fear. Hopefully it’s “just” soft tissue damage. Keep us posted on how you‘re doing! :console2:

Was your dog on a leash? Did he stay close by?

@Jockette, I hope it is "just" soft tissue damage. That was so sweet of you to ask about my precious dog! I was concerned about her because it was a sudden drop for her (about 3 ft.) and she rolled too. Bless her heart, she stayed right beside me on the leash!!! It took me a moment to gather my wits to check on her. My fear was she would run into the street traffic.
 
I'm sorry to hear about your fall. I hope things are okay. Those implants are tough and you've likely just received a lot of soft tissue damage that will heal.
@Jamie: thank you Jamie for your response! I too hope it is just "soft tissue damage"! I do take Eliquis 5 mg twice a day, so I am sure there is some internal bruising. I had my annual physical that morning and lab work done. I still have bruising where they took blood. My left hip/left side of the femur are tender too....but no bruising on the outside.
 
I'm also sorry you didn't receive any response for your question about your twin sister. Somehow we missed your post! In cases like this where there are other factors besides just a person needing a knee replacement, the best course of action is to see at least two or three surgeons to discuss a knee replacement. Of course, if she's in denial, that might be difficult to get her to go, but it's worth a try to get her to make appointments just for information, not necessarily for surgery. Can you accompany her to the appointment? Based on what you said about her husband making fun of her limp, it sounds like she could use some good support.
@Jamie: My twin sister lives in Florida and I live near Houston, so no I will not be going with her to the doctor. Her husband has had each hip replaced and 1 knee replaced.....you think he would be more supportive and thoughtful in what he says. She feels she knows all the answers and what to expect because of the times she went to the OS with him....yet she is still in denial. Even her friends comment on her limp. Since she has osteoporosis from her recent bone density, her plan is to take more calcium and Vit D3, and exercise to strengthen her bones/muscles; have another bone density a year later AND THEN make a decision. I understand she is scared and does not have a lot of faith in doctors.
 
I always thought I might have a loose patellar button but previous x-rays didn't show it. It will be interesting to see after this fall if it is loose now???
We just got back from our first airplane trip since the pandemic. It was 4 hrs. each way to Seattle and back to Houston. Our son took us on a tour of the Olympic Peninsula (a 7-8 hr. drive). My leg/knee did not like being in a car for that long but you do what you have to do. Also, my legs were swollen from the airplane ride even though I wore compression stockings. I did not walk the trails. We took the ferry across and my son wanted to go on top.....I felt so unsteady climbing the two flights of stairs. I still feel my knee is unstable since the revision because when I put full weight on it going up stairs, it does not feel solid.
 
I’m so sorry your knee still feels unstable after all that’s been done to hopefully fix it.

About the patella button, as far as I know, it is made of plastic, so it doesn’t show up on an X-ray. From what Josephine said, they put a ring of some metal around it (she said back in the day they used gold!) and that ring shows up, so you know the button is there. But I’m not sure that would be enough to see if it’s loose, or in the correct spot. My guess would be the only way to check looseness of the button would be to go in and look at it.

A loose patella button is an interesting thought, and since you mentioned it I wonder if that could be my issue. It’s been more than 4 years since my surgery and I still have all the issues I’ve had all along. :blackcloud:And they claim my Patellofemoral implant is not loose.

Refresh my memory on how to bookmark a thread, please.
I dont really know how to explain it. It has to do with adding a website to your Favorites list, or Bookmark list, on whatever device you use.
 
I had a virtual visit on 2/9/2021 with my OS that did my revision on 10/03/2018. We came to the conclusion after x-rays/CT scans that the reason my knee cap always hurts is because, he left the TKR patella button in place during the revision because it tracked well. He and I both think my issue is an allergic reaction to the (nickel) in the posts to hold the patella button in place. I wear a knee brace to keep it stable at times and take Celebrex or ES Tylenol to control pain issues. What a bummer!!! He said if he took the patella button out, he would have had to remove more bone....that would cause more issues.
@Jockette
 
Oh, wow, I’m sorry to read that (again, thanks for the reminder of that post)

It doesn’t seem like there is a decent fix for you. That’s very discouraging. Do you think an attempt could just give you different issues?
I am still having issues with my revision but there is NO WAY I would ever consider another surgery!!!
I’m with you on this statement. I’m not happy with my partial but it’s manageable, so I’ll have to get really bad to consider a revision.

Bless her heart, she stayed right beside me on the leash!!!
My fear was she would run into the street traffic.
I’m glad she stayed close, that was my thought, too, that she might get away if she was afraid. We’ll done, sweet little doggie! :roseshwr:
 
I had x-rays done today! I got a copy of the CD without the report. As far as I can tell (I am no radiologist) everything looks good to me....maybe it is just "soft tissue damage"? :fingersx: :unsure: I am having a bone density study done on Thursday. JUST got the written report:
Narrative
EXAM: Knee 3 views DX, Hip 2/3 views uni w pelvis DX, Femur series DX
HISTORY: - m25.562
COMPARISON: 1/27/2021

3 views of the left knee.
AP and lateral views of the left femur
AP pelvis and AP and lateral views of the left hip

FINDINGS:

Tricompartmental arthroplasty components project in unchanged position. There is no evidence of fracture or dislocation. No evidence of hardware loosening or failure. The hip joint space is maintained. There is no evidence of avascular necrosis. No concerning osseous lesion.
IMPRESSION: No acute abnormality.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom