Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

What is the best light weight compression wrap/sleeve people on BoneSmart use for the knee to give just a little support?
 
Update: My husband and I both went to see my revision OS on July 16th for different issues. I wanted to have xrays done on both knees: F/U on my revision knee (L.) and my right knee that has been aching for a few months.

I told him my revision knee at 9½ months still has internal swelling and feels sore at times, that I am always aware of it. Also I notice achy feelings above the knee and below the knee on the lateral sides. The surgical PA examined me and ask the questions before the OS came in. Xrays were done before the exam of both legs. I told the PA I just wanted to make sure I didn't have an infection or anything was loose (small shades of my loose implant) because I notice it more when I am resting in bed. The PA looks at the xrays and one thing he said was he was a little concerned that my patella button might be loose? (the OS did not replace my patella button during the revision because it was secure and stable, with good range of motion).

The PA was very pleased with my range of motion and extension. He did comment on the minor swelling of my knee and leg. He said my IT band and quads were tight and I should try to massage it to break up the tissue.

When I finally saw the OS, he said my patella button was not loose. He watched me walk and said it looked good (no limp). My R knee looked good on x-rays but apparently I have osteoarthritis in it so he offered me an injection.

He prefers "rooster comb" injections over Synviscone. It is a series of 3 injections, once a week. I told him I did not want to get 3, isn't there a one time injection? The PA piped up and said there was (OS looked surprised) and they agreed on it. He also, said I did not need any lab work done to see if there was an infection and I did not have enough fluid to warrant an aspiration. That was good.

When the OS gave me the injection, he said: "I expected too much from the revision". I didn't ask anymore questions because he was fixing to do the injection! lol I am hoping he meant at 9½ months. He did say earlier that it would take time for the swelling to go away/down. The PA said there was still a lot of "soft tissue" healing.

My husband got a cortisone injection from the PA for his "trochanteric bursitis" with the condition that he has to see our OS's PT person at least once (per the OS)! My husband had a cortisone injection in April which didn't help much. He also did PT for a month, made him a little more flexible but then he stopped doing his exercises when he was through with PT thus he still has trochanter bursitis.

More info to be shared soon about my OS. :) :-) (:

@Josephine: do you have any pictures you can post of a loose patella button? I am curious.
 
@Murphsouth, I think I have a good stable revision.....just wanted to get it checked out. I'm sure my R. knee pain is some how compensating from the revision knee, either that or I have developed Peripheral Artery disease?
 
I've heard tales of the revision at 50/50 going from bad to worse.
Comments?
Hi and Welcome to Bonesmart!

I don’t think this number is true, but some revisions don’t fix the problem, as we have members who have had more than one revision.

The best way for you to get more comments would be for you to start a recovery thread, so we can discuss your knee with you there. If you need help with that, let us know and we’ll be happy to set one up for you.
 
@Jamie, do you know the name of the one time injection of "rooster comb" vs the one given 3 weeks in a row? They have different names and I had the one time "rooster comb" injection. I am not talking about Synvisc-One injections. Apparently they are different. When my OS injected my knee, I didn't understand what he called it. My OS does not like Synvisc-One. He said "rooster comb' is better. I'm sure I will find out once my insurance bills me!
 
I had Supartz injections years ago before my first TKR and at that time it was a series of 5 injections one week apart. So things have definitely improved since then. I got some relief from it, but not enough to keep me from the TKR.

Both Synvisc and Synvisc-One as well as Supartz are products made from chicken and rooster combs. Synvisc-One is only a single injection and there may be other products out there that are similar. There are a number of companies making this type of injection now.

So I'm really confused as to why your surgeon would tell you he doesn't like Synvisc-One when it is made from chicken/rooster combs. At any rate, it sounds like you've had the injection already so I hope it is working for you. It's a delay tactic and you may eventually need a TKR for that knee (I'm assuming you having this done in your right knee, correct?).

You can always call your surgeon's office and they will look in your file to tell you exactly what brand name of injection you had. Good luck!
 
@Jamie, I am hoping to never have a TKR in the R knee! My x-rays were good. I have excellent space between the femur and tibia (no bone on bone) and barely a bone spur. I caught it very early. The R leg has never had an injury. I do hyperextend that knee. It has just started hurting in the last few months. I think I have some relief already.

Do you have access of a picture of a loose patella button? I want to compare it with my new x-ray. I was told I did not have a loose patella button.
 
@Josephine: do you have any pictures you can post of a loose patella button? I am curious.
xrays only of a patellar button but not a loose one. That's actually quite an uncommon situation

[Bonesmart.org] Partial Revision Failure
 
Last edited:
A breakthrough yesterday! I decided to massage the top of my revision knee, move the skin side to side with vigor, felt a little snap under the skin....I think I broke an internal suture that should have dissolved many months ago. My revision knee does not hurt or pull as much. It seems loser when I bend it. What ever happened, it is a good thing!
 
Been wondering about my revision lately. I just past the 10 month mark and it still aches and swells. My revision knee is at least 1 inch larger than my other knee. When I read everyone's post that has had a revision, it makes me think something else is going on. I am trying to wear my old orthotics because I feel my gait is off and I wobble at times. Maybe, I am expecting too much from the revision, like should my knee feel "normal"? Hope I don't have an infection going on....no redness, or hotness. My other foot is sore from hitting it. A little down these days.....other things going on in my life.
 
It is so easy to wonder and worry when we don’t feel things are coming along as we expect.

All I know is that in spite of all my issues, and you know what they all are, even so I improved a lot in general in my second year, and even into my current third year.

And I’m just healing from a little partial. Your leg has been through more. It may take you a lot longer than seems “normal, whatever that is” to get to a better place. :console2:
 
Do you think you might need new orthotics?

My first knee was a mess before tkr and I had some discomfort as it healed for many months. I'm not sure about swelling but it was warm a long time. But once it "got there" it got there. ;) It could be that your knee has been through so much it is taking it's own sweet time to get to normal.
 
@kneeper, funny you should bring up new orthotics. I have had several pair over the years and I dug out my original orthotics and they are working great with a more supportive shoe. I have to be careful with shoes because I tend to put more pressure on my toes on the revision side (esp. the little toe and the two next to it).
 
I saw my cardiologist for a routine visit and talked him into ordering a CBC with diff, C-reactive protein, Sed rate which my OS didn't feel the need to do on my visit July 16th. I also asked for a lower extremity ultrasound to check on my varicose veins....this will check for DVT's too. My revision knee is better than before surgery but the knee itself has the flavor of a torn meniscus on the lateral side of the knee when I bend it (even though there is no meniscus). It's most likely the soft tissue and ligaments being stretched the stronger the knee gets. I have to go a round about way to get the answers I am looking for. The words "loose patella button" from the PA that saw my X-rays on July 16th stays with me, even though the OS said, "no you do not have a loose patella button".
 
Here is something I've found out. If you don't ask the right questions you don't get the right answers. So with my surgeon I'll ask the same question several different ways to really find out the answer. I hope that makes sense.

Sorry your going through this. I too would wonder if I heard the PA say that.
 
@eaglemom, I don't wonder if the PA said it, he did say "it looks like your patella button might be loose". He checks the pt. out before the OS comes in by looking at the x-rays done that day. The OS did not agree with him.

This is something I am checking out on my own because I think my knee should feel differently than it does. It certainly is not a major issue for me. Just a concern.
 
I think your being very smart in checking that out. We have to be our own best advocates. (In a very similar situation a visiting PA whom I saw ( in Oct) said exactly what I thought needed to be done. However, the surgeon just had to have more tests. Fast forward to Feb and I had the revision I knew needed to be done.)

I'm in TX also.
 
All my lab work came out normal, even though the lab they did was the C-Reactive Protein, cardiac. The other C-reactive Protein is more for inflammation. I think they both can be used? They were both ordered but I did not think to bring it to the lab person's attention. I have the lower extremity doppler on my legs Monday because of the varicose veins.
 
I swear we are on the same pathway. Do not be surprised when the Doppler show swelling. My knee is swollen so it wasn't a surprise to me. But yet another hoop to jump through.

Hang in there.
 
Back
Top Bottom