Guest viewing is limited

PKR Partial knee 10 October 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you could say I'm a late bloomer, or starter, or that I just plain take my sweet time doing things. I've been at my current job for 4 1/2 years now and it wasn't until last year that I realized what I was giving up by not taking advantage of the 15 credit hours/year that I get at the University of Nebraska as part of my benefits, so I went back to school. I really didn't know what I wanted for a major, because I've never really had that ideal career in mind for when I grow up.
I've decided to switch my major (again) to exercise science with a psych minor. I currently have psych as my major with no minor, but ever since the first time I had been to PT too many years ago, I thought I would like to be a physical therapist. So, I'm gonna switch.
 
Maybe just having to go back to PT jogged your memory and made you realize that this is something you'd really enjoy while helping others. I think this is awesome.
[Bonesmart.org] Partial knee 10 October 2012
 
Progress! I was was watching Ellen and before I knew it I made it 30 minutes on the AMT machine, spent 30 minutes doing circuits on the machines and was able to leave the gym without a limp. :yay:
 
Apparently my knee is not ready for squats yet. I met with a personal trainer at the gym on Saturday and she had me do some squats, ouch, ouch, ouch. On one of them I don't know if my knee gave out or I just forgot to stop on the way down, but that one really smarted. I'll stick to mini-squats for a while. Going up stairs was horrible this weekend too.
 
ErniesMa said:
Just venting....2 years ago I met a gal and we had become pretty good friends, exchanging e-mails periodically during the work day, going on walks during lunches, etc. I have been avoiding her since my surgery because every single time she asks about my knee, she replies with "you should be healing much faster than you are". Every. Single. Time.
Today she asked me if I thought I should go get a second opinion because her husbands 80 year old aunt was up walking around fine one month later. I didn't reply, I just deleted the e-mail.
I don't care what she says or thinks, at 12 weeks, I am doing just fine!!! Yes, if I over do it I still get stiff and sore. I went to a surgeon, not a magician!! :groan:

I would tell her that you know her comments and concern are coming from a good place, but until she has had a knee replacement herself and has learned how different every knee is, you would enjoy her company more if it were time spent not talking about your knee. You have this forum to share with others that have been through it.
 
I probably should have worded it that way instead of telling her that I had been avoiding her because I let her comments hurt my feelings. It's all good, if she were supposed to be a good friend, she would have supported me whether I progressed at a pace that pleased or not.
 
15 weeks ago today....I would love to say that I'm to the point that I'm glad I had the surgery, but unfortunately I can't yet. I'm sure I will, I just can't yet. That's kind of depressing in a way. But, every week gets better. I've been brave enough to give the treadmill a go and got it up to 3.5 mph with an incline of 5 and that lasted for about 20 minutes until I had to bring it back down to a zero incline and 3 mph. The elliptical and the AMT machine don't seem to bother the new parts much and squats are getting easier. stairs still suck though :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom