Guest viewing is limited

Painless hip clunk: should I worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spontaneous napping is also being discussed on Muckingabouts thread. It is so hard if not impossible to control, it is almost comical. :) Sounds like you are doing very nicely!
 
@debkakes, you're spot on! Elevating, icing, taking pain meds timely but still exercising, moving about some, and those precious naps ... You've got this! The icing will help so much with inflammation. Just takes time. I think I spent my first week in the recliner. Just sleep anytime you feel the urge!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Keep up the good work. I'm one of the people who posted about sleep: It is so essential, so falling asleep at the drop of a hat is wonderful. I almost miss it.
 
@debkakes , so sorry that we Mods neglected to post your post op threads here for you to refer to. You will find one about energy drain after THR. It's real and unfortunately fighting it make it worse. Naps are your friend! Enjoy!
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
One week, one day since surgery. I have to keep reminding myself that my job now is to rest and heal, and that my bone and tissues have just barely started to knit back together.

You know that weird feeling that is not quite pain but might as well be? I've been bugging out on that. Partly it is the edema tightening up my skin and making my thigh feel like a sausage. Add to that a vague awareness of a new foreign entity in my body, and that a bunch of cutting, sawing, and drilling happened to put it there. It is part physiological, part psychological. That's been a big challenge my first week home.

I overdid it just a tad yesterday in some ways, and under did it in others. I was awake too much, moving too much, with not enough pain medication. I counted my pills and did the math, and found I am on the very low end my prescription. After I realized, about 6 PM yesterday, that I was not staying in front of my pain and corrected that, everything has turned around. I am moving easier and with *duh* less pain, and listening the wee little voice in my leg telling me to be patient, take a nap, let my fabulous partner wait on me.

So here I am in my recliner, looking out on Monterey Bay, and thanking my lucky stars to live in this place and time, when we can get fixed what is broken much of the time. My goal, simply, is to keep my expectations realistic, and know when it is appropriate to challenge myself, and when to not equate stillness with laziness. I think I feel a nap coming on! :yawn:
 
Smart girl. Reread this post every day. You'll be fine!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Many milestones this past 24 hours, marking my first week home.
Bandage changed, first look at suture for a week: clean, healthy, healing very nicely!! Edema is much improved, too.
Shower! First real one! OMG, there are no words.
Up and down my 13 stairs a few times in the past few days. Gets a little easier every time, but glad I don't have to do it all the time.
First comfortable night in my own bed, not in recliner. (I tried to sleep in bed my first night home, and maneuvering my legs and hips around was ridiculously painful. Last night, SOOOOOO much easier, between regular healing and strengthening exercises done in moderation for a week.)
My partner made me some tea this morning, but I made my own breakfast, a nice sausage and egg fry-up!
I am now set up for my day of reading, movies, and relaxing with my therapy cat!
 
It's so great to hear of your progress.

(I am sorry for not telling you that sooner due to being selfishly working on my on recovery.)

Being in the August cohort together, I wish you the very,very best rehab & recovery you can have.

Keep on keeping on. Good luck
 
@debkakes , you are doing great. I had the same experience, one day an activity was impossible - a few days later it was simple. Well done on getting some sleep in your own bed!
 
Ah! There is nothing like sleeping in one's own bed - well done Deb. It is these little milestones that count and add up to full recovery.. Keep sharing them with us :)
 
Back at work!

BTW, I can officially drive since yesterday's meeting with the surgeon, though that was something I worked out on Saturday (4th day post-op).

Driving or passenger, it did make me wonder with my anterior incision what that seat belt low and tight was going to feel like if we had an emergency stop. :rolleyes::yikes::shocked:
 
Staples out!! Feeling a little vulnerable :unsure: but good. There is still some swelling that I must tend to, I have not been icing as consistently as I should for a few days. I am definitely feeling pretty stir-crazy. By this time with my last surgery, I had been out to the movies and for a short walk near the ocean. This time, I have only been as far as my back deck, and while the view is nice it not the same as getting outta the house. So today, my partner is taking me for a drive and out to lunch! Tis the little things! Plus he held my hands real tight while the staples were getting pulled out :loveshwr:.
 
Hey Herb, good for you back to work!! Me, I'm pretty happy to be retired and not having to think about that!
 
Did you (or anyone) ask, "Why do we need STAPLES? Or even stitches? What is wrong with GLUE?"

Sorry, but it's bugging me. My stitches in the poke holes for the trackers (computer reference points) were NO DEAL, but my wound was only glued.

Of course it helps that as big as I am and as DEEP as my hip socket is (he spent an extra 1/2 hour due to that) my incision was ONLY 5".
 
You know that weird feeling that is not quite pain but might as well be? I've been bugging out on that. Partly it is the edema tightening up my skin and making my thigh feel like a sausage.

I got this about 5 days post op and it really felt like my skin was going to split.
 
Woot! Husband sprung me for a little walk in a real outside place, and took me to lunch (BBQ). I used the braces and did a fair distance (well, maybe 1/10 mile). Between that and getting in and out of the car, I was pretty ready to collapse upon returning home. Hope to do that again in a couple of days, and try driving next week. Now let's have a little nap, shall we?
 
Congrats on the fun outing! Sometimes that helps the progress move quicker... Ha!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@debcakes, sounds like you are really doing well accomplishing some real meaningful milestones with your shower, an outing and staples out. It really helps you feel more human but as you are doing, be sure to keep resting also because not doing so really seem to bite back!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom