TKR Painful knee

Sorry to hear about your fall, sounds painful. Although you must have been doing better to forget to be careful with your knee! Hope you feel better soon.
 
It's scary to have that trip/fall (with my first TKA I was sure that merely stepping the wrong way would break my implant). Rest assured you've got company here on BoneSmart and it's generally just an aggravation to the soft tissues that resolves with extra rest, ice, and elevation for a couple of days.
 
I guess it could just be time and rest.
Yes! Ice and elevate, and baby the knee for a couple of days.

It's not likely you damaged the implant because the bone is usually healed by 3 months post-op. You might find this chart reassuring:

1652123217285.png
 
Hi all.
Thank you so much for responding to my careless fall!
But I do have another question perhaps you guys have some thoughts on….
Since the day of my surgery ( November 7th) my blood pressure has been higher than usual. I am not on any blood pressure or cholesterol meds, because I haven’t needed them. ( I normally am extremely healthy). When I was getting home PT, she told me that pain will increase your blood pressure, along with lack of sleep. I bought a blood pressure machine for home use because I was concerned. I actually went to a heart doctor yesterday ( for a baseline visit. I have no heart issues or symptoms). My pressure was high at the doctors office. ( I think it was around 145/80). He said a lot of ppl when they go to the doctors office have higher blood pressure bc they are anxious. So he wants me to take my blood pressure 3-4 times a week and record it to show him at my next appt. I took my blood pressure 3 times this afternoon after walking the track , nearly a mile, at the high school. My knee is achy, so I did ice and elevate. My best blood pressure was 135/72. Before surgery my blood pressure below 120/70.
Any one else have this problem? I am still in pain with my knee, although not as bad.
 
I didn't check my BP in the months post surgery but my pulse rate was definitely higher for several months according to my fitbit. I think even mild chronic pain can elevate pulse and BP.
Keeping a chart of your readings might be a good idea to see if it is gradually going down. Whilst you don't want to ignore an elevated BP- you don't necessarily want to take meds if it is gradually sorting itself out.
 
Thank you for your response @EalingGran . I took my blood pressure this morning before doing my exercises or going for a walk. Out of 3 times, my best was 122/68. (My worst was 132/72) My resting pulse was 55, so I am not overly concerned. I am still in a bit of pain with my knee, but today it is not too bad. It is tight, but the pain is about a 2-3. I am still taking Tylenol and Aleve twice a day. (definitely before bed) I think Aleve can also slightly raise your blood pressure.

I have my 12 week doctor check up with my surgeon. I hope that goes well.
 
Happy Monday!

Well, I had my 12 week check up with my surgeon today. He said my knee is great and my x-rays were good. He said that my knee is secure, with no movement. So he was happy with that. However, he measured my extension and I was not at zero. (He didn't say what it was, but not zero.) Then he went to measure my flex. As I was sitting on the table trying to bring my knee in, he measured at 115!! (WHAT!!!) Then he grabbed my leg and pushed it towards my butt! Boy did I see stars. I actually pulled back on the table and yelled. When I then fixed my leg to be remeasured, he said it was 120. I don't understand that. My therapist just a few days ago measured me at 130. Anyway, I was really upset. I think he could see in my eyes, I was near tears. I actually said to him, that I am doing my exercises everyday, so I don't know why I am not farther along. He, of course, then said I was doing well, and that 120 is fine. He still wants me to be at least 130 by the next time I see him. (In 3 months) He told me that he is happy when he has patients reach 120, but he said since I am active, healthy and young, he thinks I would not be happy at 120. He wants my new knee to bend like my other knee. He gave me additional stretching exercises. I am pretty bummed that I am not farther along.

My knee actually felt pretty good today before the doctor's appointment. I had very little pain this morning, but I still have tightness. The doctor said it is because I am still tight behind my knee. But after my dr. appt., now it hurts! I am currently doing TENS to see if it will help. I also slept pretty well last night for the first time. I am hoping that this continues for me. I am still taking 2 tylenol and 2 aleve twice a day. (usually around lunch and then before bed)

I am trying to stay positive and see that I am doing okay. I can do pretty much everything I need to now. In the spring I will try to ride my road bike outside, but for now, I will stay with the bike in the gym. As the weather gets a bit nicer, I will also start hiking out in the woods. Thank you all for listening to me. I know you all understand what I am going through.
 
I am sorry that you experienced such pain today. It made me cringe to read about it. Hopefully with ice and rest it eases soon. I am going to leave three separate accounts below of ROM in regard to other members. I apologize if you’ve read them elsewhere, if so, they will benefit someone else.
Best Wishes for a good week!


JusticeRiders post -
I just want to add, for all those coming along, a note on ROM. I want to share this because nearly all of us have a tremendous amount pressure put on us to increase our ROM by certain deadlines, or else.

Mine has been extremely slow coming. First I had to wait out the swelling, which in my case took more than 5 months. Yes, months. At that point I began to see real progress. It has continued to this day. I have seen improvement in the last 2 weeks. It’s still going. A this point I think the limiting factor is tight muscles, ligaments, and tendons from 3 yrs of very limited ROM and actually about 25 yrs of somewhat limited ROM. Those tissues are slowly stretching.


I have had to be willing to let my flexion improve at a glacial pace, be very patient, and tune out the dire warnings of my surgeon, PA, previous PT, and some well meaning acquaintances. I refused painful PT and refused a MUA. I have absolutely no regrets. I know my body, and I believe those things would have caused a domino effect of swelling and pain that may have derailed my recovery long term and even possibly have torn soft tissue, etc. I now know I have the added challenges of hypermobility and an immune condition that causes an inflammatory reaction. I think a MUA would have been very harmful to me.

Instead of forcing it, I have relied on weekly massage and using my stationary bike as a stretching aid every single day. I have been very active, but I have ramped up really, really gradually. I have not measured my flexion, because honestly I feel almost a PTSD type of reaction around it. All I care about is function and what I can do. My knee is very functional now, and still improving. I love my new knee. I’m glad I let it heal on its own timeline even though it was so much longer than everyone (most of all me!) would have liked.
 
VolLady’s post -
I want to tell everyone that has went though TKR that it is a long journey to heal. I am going this spring to have my other knee replaced.

Please do not get discouraged and I know you will because I did with my first one and cried more than I had in a life time. Scared mostly.... Surgeons will not tell you everything that you will experience during your healing. It took me 7 months actually to feel more normal but not 100%.

For the ROM I only got to 112 at 4 months and still cannot bend it all the way back to reach 130. But I can drive, sit at a table, put my shoes and clothes on great without a ROM of 130 or 120. There is no swelling at all at 8 months but I still have some stiffness at times but I deal with it and walk. I also still ride my bike with no trouble.

I am telling everyone this because your body will heal without PT and pushing your limit beyond to the point there is more swelling and pain. I have decided when I have my other knee fixed this spring, that I will do my own PT since I have all the equipment and items that they use anyway.

I had a MUA at almost 6 wks., and regretted it from day one. Simply because it did not help me anymore with my ROM but it did set me back on healing. The swelling was awful. I will not have another MUA even if my ROM was 95 at the time.

I will go in with open eyes on this other knee comparing on what I went though with the first one. So, with all that said, I wish everyone a happy healing and let your body decide with healing than someone trying to push you until you scream with pain. Also don't worry about the ROM, it will come -- it might take a year or more, but it will come. I am 67 years old and I don't expect to get past 120, but I do what I want to do at 67. Oh! and I can even bend down with the knee need to kneel on it..... Best wishes everyone!
 
TortiTabby’s post -
At my six week appointment this is what my OS wrote in my visit summary: "She reads an online website called Bone Smart which states to not push through pain following knee replacement. If she were to follow this direction, she will have to learn to live with a knee that only reaches to 85 degrees of flexion. I believe this website is very misleading."

It has now been 20 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks (where I am today): 110
I am so thrilled it keeps improving and improving and I know now that I will get to my goal of 120 (or even better, dare I say!) :egypdance:
So, if a OS or PT bullies you into thinking your ROM will not improve over time they are wrong. By the way, I haven't been back to see the OS since that horrible appointment at 6 weeks, but I sure am going back when I reach 120 just to say, "Ha! You were wrong, BoneSmart was right!" :yes:“

And,

“Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance: “
 
My knee actually felt pretty good today before the doctor's appointment. I had very little pain this morning, but I still have tightness.... But after my dr. appt., now it hurts!
I'm so sorry he did that to you! Just plain cruel. :console2:

He told me that he is happy when he has patients reach 120, but he said since I am active, healthy and young, he thinks I would not be happy at 120.
Being happy with our bend is more about how it functions for us than about some arbitrary number on a tool that every doctor and therapist measures differently. My surgeon won't even use the geniometer because it is so inaccurate.

Please don't worry about ROM numbers! What counts is whether you can do the things you want to do. Climb stairs. Ride a bike. Go for a hike. What ever activities get you back to enjoying your life. If you can do those things, the numbers do not matter.
 
. As I was sitting on the table trying to bring my knee in, he measured at 115!! (WHAT!!!) Then he grabbed my leg and pushed it towards my butt!
He should never have touched your leg. Don't let anyone push your leg. Only what you can do without any assistance is what counts anyway. Function over numbers always!
But after my dr. appt., now it hurts!
Cause and effect. This is so unnecessary. You were doing great.
 
@Layla thank you so much for those encouraging stories. I really needed to read them. I feel so much better.
Thank you @benne68 and @sistersinhim for the encouraging words!

I watched my granddaughter tonight and took her to a park to ride her scooter. I walked behind her the whole way. We were outside for an hour. ( we were freezing and hungry so we went home). My leg did a good job keeping up with her. I am now home elevating and icing.

Tomorrow is a new day!
 
You're welcome, Nay Nay and I am happy to read you were encouraged by others stories and hopefully it eased your mind. Good that you're elevating and icing after your walk today.
I hope tomorrow is a lovely day for you! :SUNsmile:
@Nay Nay
 
I watched my granddaughter tonight and took her to a park to ride her scooter. I walked behind her the whole way. We were outside for an hour. ( we were freezing and hungry so we went home). My leg did a good job keeping up with her.
And that's definitely a happy outcome! Wonderful.
 
Hi everyone.

I have a curious question: Has anyone had their PCL retained in a tkr surgery? My surgeon told me he was pretty happy he was able to keep my pcl bc it helps stabilize the knee. My PT guy never heard of that and didn’t think he ever had a patient who had their pcl kept in a tkr. My PT guy thinks that might be why I am having a hell of a time getting to zero. It is always tight in the back of my knee. I can get to zero, after PT stretches me with several stretching exercises and after he helps me while I flex my quad muscles. However, it goes back to about a 2 within minutes! This is very frustrating.

I am now 13 weeks out and I am starting to feel better, pain-wise. I still have the tight band feeling, but I am pretty much pain free. (a1-2). I am starting to sleep better. Thank God. I started taking a gummy that has cbd and melatonin in it over the past 5 days. I also started doing TENS every day around my near for the past 5 days or so. I don’t know if any one of them are helping me sleep or all of them!

If I can just get the back of my knee to loosen up, I think I would be great.

Thank you everyone for listening to me throughout my journey!
 
Glad to read that you are feeling better, @Nay Nay.

In answer to your question: there are several different types of knee replacement -- depending upon the type of implant and the condition of the ligaments, some approaches save the cruciate ligaments, other remove them.

This article provides more detail. Be sure to scroll down to post #3;
 
I was able to download the full operation manual for my knee replacement ( Oxford Fixed Lateral). It really is remarkable what is available on the Internet these days!
I still have all my ligaments- although my MCL was rather overstretched and a bit painful post-op. It took several months of exercise to settle.
I may be wrong but I thought preserving the posterior cruciate ligament was not that uncommon.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom