Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pain on walking

Four weeks is still very early and many people do still have pain, and even longer than that. Your body knows what it is doing! I would notice when pain starts.,, as soon as you walk or after a while? If it's right away don't force too much walking and give healing more time.
At 4 weeks I still had lots of pain walking too if it was more than a few minutes. Sometime in the last weak (it's now been 8 weeks) I can see how the pain has gradually lessened.
So, give it time. Ignore people who think you "should " be doing something. They can't possibly know what you need and where you are in the healing process.
Look for little milestones and improvements and rejoice in those.
Be encouraged... You are doing great!
 
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
I had a LTKR on the same day as you (Aug.31) and i feel im doing very well,but i still have mostly muscle painfrom exercise and the recumbant bike (mostly like bad restless leg.)I also get a twinge every once and a while. Just listen to your own body,it will let you know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
I'm so sorry your neighbor said that to you. It very hard to ignore negative comments. We all get comments like that, and I struggle with them myself.

I've been wondering how you've been doing since you posted a while ago.

Since you live alone, you are rehabbing your knee plenty as you have to do things that others of us who have help don't have to do.

What does your surgeon say? Is he happy with where you are? If so, just tell your neighbor that.

And if he's not happy with where you are, he may be too overly optimistic.

This is a very long, slow, hard recovery. Hang out here with us, we understand.
 
Like others have said, don't compare your recovery to others. This mysterious person your neighbor is talking about is most likely exaggerating what they can do, and not mentioning the downside of doing too much too early during their recovery. Pain and swelling with walking is normal, most of us start feeling better around 3 to 4 months, you still have a ways to go until then.
Listen to your knee, it is now your boss.
 
I also still had pain on walking at four weeks. That's still very early in recovery and so I would call pain at this point normal. Not something we want or enjoy, but par for the course. For every person who is pain-free at 4 weeks, there are one hundred who are not. At least, if they're honest about it.

That was unkind of your neighbor to question your progress. The only opinions that matter are yours and your surgeon's. Besides, that man probably was trying to be polite. When someone asks how we're doing, most people put on a good front. "Doing just fine, thank you." He may have downplayed his pain. There's no way of knowing if neighbor's information is correct.

What you do know is that you are walking and doing well.
 
The other thing my neighbour came in said I should be doing more as she knows absolutely nothing about TKR but wants to lord it over you and pontificate her super knowledge from a whole one example goodness me don't listen to this pretentious bat for goodness sake you'll drive yourself barmy.

Seriously. All recovery is different, you are just one month out, very early days; relax, follow the guidelines (in essence, relax and let your body heal) and you'll be fine. Don't be judged by someone else.
 
I was a bit put off when a woman at church told me how great her hubby was doing ( he had his tkr 3 weeks before me.) then a friend at church told me (unsoliticited by me) that the man is doing well, but he is no where as strong as I am or doing as well as I am. So, words do not always convey the truth of the matter, and opinions are not always truth. And each of us will heal at our own speed. We can do nothing to speed up the healing, but we can do a whole lot to slow it down.
I usually tell people I am doing well, when asked, because a lot of people don't really want to hear the whole story. And truthfully, there are some people I don't want to confide in.
 
Hi! I had my left tkr on 8/28/17. I have pain when I walk. Taking it slow and listening to my body. I can drive now to PT. But not rushing the recovery because this surgery is a
traumatic one. Watched it several times on you tube. Recover at your own pace. Good luck!!
 
Thank you for all your kind comments meant a lot to me I haven't yet seen my consultant yet will be seeing him in a couple of weeks, not yet been to PT am seeing them next Friday The walking is fine around the house but when I walk a bit outside that's when it hurts and I am sleeping well at night but if I wake up in pain if I get up and walk around it seems to go so I then go back to bed and to sleep, Still not mastered my stairs they scare me but I have been practicing going up 3 steps then back down I will get there I live in a terraced cottage and the stairs are very steep
 
I am still most comfortable walking around inside my house, but still nervous outside, depending on the surface. I am very afraid to walk on grass and have not done so without my cane. It's also rare that I need to walk on grass, so I guess I will fear it for a while.

I also live in a one floor home, so I don't do steps much. I am a 6 months post op and stairs are difficult for me because I haven't tried to do them foot over foot on the rare occasions I use the. I am trying to make more of an effort now when I am someplace that has steps.

I think practicing 3 of your steps at a time is a very good way to do it.

You are doing fine!
 
Hi, I had bilateral knee replacements on the same day as you. We all recover at our own pace, just listen to your body and treat yourself gently. I don't have any stairs in my home, but I have a huge staircase at my work and I am terrified of tackling them when I have to go back to work. I hated going up and down before my new knees, anyway I don't have to worry about it just yet.

Progress is progress and I am sure it won't be long before you're running up and down those stairs.
 
So sorry about you cat I can't imagine how you must have felt on top of all the pain of the op. I am 10 weeks post op and although I do not need AIDS for walking still get pain but because of this forum I came to understand that it is completely natural and different for each and every one of us. I had trouble sleeping with not knowing where to put my leg but again learned on here a pillow between your legs can help. I also stopped all meds at 8 weeks as I found they were making me nauseous, although I was on just paracetamol at the end even that was making me nauseous, 3 days after stopping and no nausea. I started taking nytol and that certainly helped but not enough do I had some sleeping tablets my mother had left over and had some amazing sleeps at night, now I just take equate (bought in the us) but plan on giving them upon a week, it's all stepping stones and we are in charge of our own recovery, I didn't do much pt but did buy the leg raiser from. Hanfords chemist it's called betterlife and it was an amazing help along with the ice packs from eBay. The leg doctor was approx £27 but so much better than ranging with cushions.
The people on here really know what you are going through and are very wise and have been so much help to me.
I can't wait to feel "normal" again.
We will all get there it's just a matter of time and patience, look after yourself xxxx
 
You will probably notice one day that you no longer have any pain when you walk. Be alert to recognize those small things because your mind will need to celebrate your progress. And that's how this recovery is. You will try or do a movement and there will be pain, and then all of a sudden the pain no longer happens. If we could only figure out how to flip that switch earlier and make this recovery shorter and easier.
 
What you describe sounds like a normal recovery for 4 weeks. You'll still have pain for a while, but it should become less and less. Same with your swelling. You'll be able to take longer walks and will gradually find uneven surfaces become less of a problem. Soon you will have more energy, too. You won't be wiped out by ordinary events, though still tired after long activity. Hope the PT experience is a good one!
 
Hi all
I had my TRN done on the 1st September 2017, I took back into hospital 1 month ago with sepsis, not in my knee thank god while I was in the hospital I was not allowed to exercise my knee as I had to stay in bed for 5 days.when I came home my leg was very stiff saw my phisyo who said the muscles had gone to sleep in my calf and thigh they gave me exercises to do which has helped, I only need my crutch when walking the dog as I'm not that steady if he pulls me The problem I have is if I'm sitting and even when it is elevating my whole leg hurts and knee (No swelling) also I can't have anything leaning on my leg thigh as that also causes pain even the dogs head ( he's only a pug) I have to get up and move have a walk round is this normal at this stage in my recovery
 
@SNOOZLES you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.
 
Back
Top Bottom