THR Pain in the buttock

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Desire

I think one of the kindest things I've done for myself is to suspend expectation. Like you, I usually want to know what to expect. I knew how quickly my mother-in-law had recovered from her THR, but I decided early on not to compare, as my surgery was the result of a birth defect, and I knew it would be complicated. I'm thankful I suspended expectation, because I wasn't anticipating six weeks of toe-touch restrictions.

I'm in my fourth week of recovery now. I'm less sleepy, though the energy drain is still a present factor in my life; I'm able to sit in my recliner, which really didn't feel good for the first two weeks at home; and I'm able to get around more confidently and for greater distances on my crutches. I'm trying to let my body, and not my mind, set new expectations day by day and week by week. As everyone before me has said, each recovery is different. I'm doing my best to let go and let it happen.
 
"I'm trying to let my body, and not my mind, set new expectations day by day and week by week."

Never a truer word written - our body is in control of the healing process and there is little we can do to hurry it up, no matter how hard we try. Bone, soft tissue etc. will heal at its own pace. I like your thinking @JulieJF :)
 
Hello,
I had my THR 3 weeks ago..
Thanks God.I feel quite well, I usually walk with one crutch at home, but use 2 crutches when I go outside to walk... I started doing exercises at home 2 weeks ago, i am doing them once everyday for about 20 minutes.
I would like to get your ideas for going to a physiotheraphy center...when should I start going there, how often in a week, what do you think of hydrotherphy??
Were you happy with the results??
Will be very pleased to get your opinions.
Thanks
Desire
 
You may notice that I have merged your three recovery threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it by using the Thread Tools button at the top right of your screen or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.
 
@Desire I've read positive posts about hydrotherapy. Wish I had a heated pool close to me! My doc prescribed 6 weeks of PT @ 3 times per week. I have not gone yet (I'm 12 days out and still not pain controlled). Will probably wait until I'm in week four at least to take the PT challenge.
 
Hi @Desire - I only had the PT during my hospital stay, from then on, I walked until my incision was cleared by my OS to get into the heated pool. Hydrotherapy is wonderful, especially just walking in the water. Here is some further information to assist you as an adjunct to the general joint replacement information. The first link explains how the body goes about the silent process of healing :)

Healing Phases & Nutrition
Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery
nutritional-snippets-did-you-know

Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition.
 
Hello, it has been 4 weeks and everything seems fine. I walk with one crutch.
However, I have some pain in my left buttock since two days.
Do you think this is normal? What would you advise?
Thanks,
Desire
 
@Desire I have once again merged recovery threads for you. Please do not keep starting new threads to report updates or ask questions. It should all be done in this one recovery thread. Otherwise we cannot keep track of what advice has been provided for you or how you are progressing.

The pain you are experiencing is normal and ice and/or pain medication should help you.

This article may help you as well:

Piriformis Syndrome
 
@Desire I have once again merged recovery threads for you. Please do not keep starting new threads to report updates or ask questions. It should all be done in this one recovery thread. Otherwise we cannot keep track of what advice has been provided for you or how you are progressing.

The pain you are experiencing is normal and ice and/or pain medication should help you.

This article may help you as well:

Piriformis Syndrome

Thank you Jamie. I couldn't change the name of the thread thats why i started a new one.
How can I do it?
Thanks for the info about pain.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Desire - do you want to change the title of your thread? If so tag any it the staff and they can do it for you :)

Also, I found sitting alternatively on an icepack and a heat pack helped my butt pain.y
 
Hi @Desire - I'm three weeks post op yesterday and I had a few days of pain in the butt! That resolved and now I'm at the 'pain in the quad' stage! This was my second THR and as everyone is saying the recovery period can't be rushed. Good days can be followed by days of twinges and exhaustion. Just go with it and follow the good advice on this forum - it's a waste of energy trying to rush things. Eat well, rest well, walk with as much support as your hip tells you is needed and hit the Kindle store!!:flwrysmile:
 
The glutes have stretched and pushed about. I spent many times just hovering of the seat. It does go away.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom